Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Newcomer - questions   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Newcomer - questions 

Hi Everybody!
I'm new to the forum,actually wrote to the topic Pedro Maldonado but noone answered :(
But trying again and have some new question as well.: So once again:
-has anyone a clue that how much money is the difference between buying the same guitar directly from the shop ( since I live in the EU ) or through internet - shops? I mean how can, for example Mundo Flamenco (in germany) sell Maldonado's 1a for 3000 Euros vs. Zavaletas' or La falseta's higher prices? And even, if I go down to Andalucia for about a week ( f.e. Malaga or Granada ) will I get a really good blanca for a reasonable price, or I go to a taller, and since I'm a foreigner and speak VERY little spanish I'm gonna be given some 2nd class guitar said to be 1st class? How does it work? Any other info's on Maldonado's guitars are welcome!
Thanks

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 2 2005 8:44:01

guiri

RE: Newcomer - questions (in reply to Guest

Yup - that's was form me, and also does anybody know if FUSTEROS has any website or something?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 2 2005 9:39:40

flyeogh

Welcome amigo. Hopefully the following might help:

I’m in my second year of Flamenco and in that time I have bought 5 guitars. First I’m not a collector. I spend time in Madrid, my home near Newbury in England and with my parents in Bournemouth. Rather than transport I need a min of three.

I have trawled round tallers and shops in Madrid and Seville, I’ve bought in Spain, I’ve bought on EBay, I’ve bought in London, and finally I’ve had a guitar made following references given here by several of the resident aficionados.

Now I’ve made mistakes so what have I learned:

Do not buy in a hurry.
Do not imagine Spain is full of bargains – it is also full of c**p.
See it, the very one, before you buy – the internet is a dangerous place.
If you walk into a Spanish guitar shop there always seems to be this guitar that a pro left behind and as its not normal stock they can do a deal for cash. (Strange the locals don't snap it up )
Having a guitar made for you is an enjoyable experience and does not necessarily cost more. (Obviously they start at the higher end but for value ...)

And finally the guitar I was most disappointed in (*) upon arrival I wouldn't be separated from. Funny old world

Good luck

* I will collect my handmade special from Granada in November. Opinion on that to come but just interacting with the luthier, seeing fotos as it goes from a few bits of wood to something unique, … sort of org****c

nigel (el raton de Watford - now Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 2 2005 10:25:28

Doitsujin

hmm I would never buy a guitar in the net or with telephone... good quality is never garanted. You have to test a guitar before buying. And better when you test it,..compare the guitar with others. When you have one, take it with you and compare. I dont know where you are from but if you live in europe you could buy a cheap fly-ticket to spain and buy by yourself over the weekend. The people who buy them there and bring them to other countrys take often too much money for delivery.. A cheap ticket and a hotelroom for one night would be cheaper. Yes..good luck. Hey at the moment I look for a new guitar, too.^^
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 2 2005 13:05:17

Thomas Whiteley

The safest way to purchase a guitar is to do so through a reputable person or dealer. What is the return policy? If you find a good guitar in Spain and return home only to find a problem what do you do?

Know what brands of guitars are good and within your price range. Know what to look for in a good guitar. First look at the instrument and the “external” qualities – how it is made, how it plays and how it sounds.

Use a dental or automobile inspection mirror to see the inside of the instrument for the quality of construction. That can be very reveling!

Oh yes and do not forget that Labels are cheap. The famous statement: “Of the 400 Santos guitars built only 1000 remain” is not a joke!

Here is a story from a Spaniard I know who owned the Casa Madrid in San Francisco. A foreigner goes to Spain to purchase a guitar. As he enters the guitar shop he notices a number of instruments behind the counter in a display case. The owner rushes to greet the stranger and potential customer. You ask to see an instrument by the name of a specific Luither and such an instrument is placed in your hands.

There are two Gitanos sitting down at the far end of the shop looking at a guitar. As you play the two men come over to you and encourage you. They tell you that you are a great player and that the guitar you are playing is just for you. You purchase the guitar and you are happy – for the moment.

Chances are that you have just purchased a bogus instrument with a label from a well known luither. You see, the shop owner hired the two Gitanos to help sales. Madrid is a good place to experience such activities. Lots of tourists and lots of guitars!

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 2 2005 14:16:02

RE: Newcomer - questions (in reply to flyeogh

quote:

I’m in my second year of Flamenco

Nigel,
I'm in my fifth...not discounting the stuff I tried to get to know before...
I think I can make a reasonably good compás in many styles.
But I hate all the falsetas I play....

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 2 2005 20:15:19

flyeogh

quote:

But I hate all the falsetas I play....

Ron thats terrible. I suspect your'e too hard on yourself. My problem is that I play the falsetas slower than the rhythm sections. The rhythm slow to me sounds awful and the falsetas quick - well fingers everywhere but not in the right places. Guess it will come in time but in the meantime I play lots of falsetas and then lots of rhythm

Do remember the foro is a great place to post sound samples and the guys here give great feedback. Enjoy

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2005 6:06:48

Hi everyone.

This with going to Spain and finding your dream guitar over the weekend is very complicated and very few people do it with succes. It's very difficult to find a good handbuild guitar which is not already sold. Most probably you'll end up with a factory made guitar, or lets call them a "brand" guitar to avoid silly discussions about factory versus handmade.

Duitsojins advice on taking a guitar you know with you is VERY good. acoustics vary a lot. The Bernal shop here in Granada sounds like an empty bathroom, so it's rather difficult to compare with the guitar you tried in the little workshop full of stacked wood and tools.

Sadly enough, Thomas's story is very true and not only in Madrid.

Your last option, and in my opinion the best is to order a guitar from a guitarmaker you trust. It takes time, but the instrument will be a lot more personal. Ask along about which luthiers you can trust. Get more than 1 opinion etc.

Good luck
Anders

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2005 7:45:23

guiri

Hi, and thanks for the answers!
Actually I'm playing flamenco quite long ago, and the things You told me is absolutely correct (taking your previous guitar with You - because of changing acoustics and so on) I guess. I've been looking guitars so many times that I mostly recognize them from their headstock, mostly know the labels compared to them as well as rosettes (of course still a lot to learn..), my problem is that I've never played them! Since I live in hungary, (and make my living by playing&teaching music) the things You're talking about (having 5 guitars) is just a dream for me. I cannot afford buying a guitar which probably not satisfies me,since I'm probably not gonna be able to buy another..Of course the best thing would be to pop down to spain, but I may not find a guitar for the first time, and the trip cuts my budget..:( Reading a lot lead me to Maldonado's guitars. Opinions on this site? : www.xguitars.com , and does anybody know this? : www.alessituningmachines.it
Thx

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2005 8:54:57

AND "Ask along about which luthiers you can trust" any advice anybody? Is Maldonado a luthier You can trust? Any other?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2005 8:58:45

flyeogh

So what is the budget? You never know someone here may have something.

There have been plenty of discussion/experiences here of guitar purchase from a few hundred Es to many thousands. And strangely, it strikes me, just as many good and bad experiences at both ends of the scale (if you will forgive the pun )

By the way I may have 5 guitars but I am not a big spender. My handmade blanca (being made by Anders - see above) will only cost about 2000Es and that is with some specially chosen extras. The others cost much less.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2005 10:13:10

guiri

Hi flyeogh!
well, I don't want myself seem to be a martire, just wanna go for sure that I get the maximum for my hardly saved money. But there's no guarantee for nothing I guess.. My budget's gonna be around 2000-2500Eu (sadly not having the amount yet)but including the costs of the tip to spain,or the costs of the shipping..that's why I thouht may a better quality but second-hand guitar's gonna be the solution..

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2005 12:18:45

[Deleted] (in reply to Guest

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2005 13:28:03

flyeogh

guiri I'm sure you can find a great guitar for that. I would have a look at Anders site. He does a sort of div 2 (calls it flamenco 2a) that you might have to wait for but you would get something special and in budget. As for comments on particular luttiers I think the guys here are too fair to be over critical unless they have personally suffered badly. Over the time I've been here in the foro no sooner do you hear a neg critic than it is followed by someone with the oposite experience. I guess on the whole you get what you pay for. It is however interesting that the guys here are often uploading great stuff played on nothing very special and certainly inside your budget. Guess thats called talent but second hand or new I have never found any of that for sale

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2005 13:28:07

guiri

Thanks for all!
I guess I have all the infos I need, I just waited for such a long time,prepared too much and made the whole thing too complex in my head, that I'm already not sure about anything...:))

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2005 18:45:09

davor

RE: Newcomer - questions (in reply to guiri

Guiri,
I had the same problems, but I did what I would recommend you to do;and what flyeogh said; that is that you contact Anders and talk to him.I bought a blanca 2a model.
He is friendly and he would do a great job and you will be informed about how your guitar is progresing.
For that amount of money you will get a great guitar.
pozdrav
davor

davor
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2005 9:04:45
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message