Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: the ultimate Conde!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

RE: the ultimate Conde! (in reply to estebanana

quote:

If you don't like something, you simply don't like it, it often times does not mean you are stupid or ignorant. It just means you don't like it.

Nobody said anybody was stupid for not liking something. In most cases however, learning about something at a deeper level OFTEN affects tastes...that is the whole point of "acquired taste". In some rare cases deeper investigation have the opposite effect but normally more knowledge=more appreciation=more "liking" of the thing, in my experience anyway as both student and teacher.

Further, there is a distinction to simply not liking something and calling it "crap, abomination, patent dud...brings nothing to the table or precisely nada" etc... Taking it one step further saying it's "outlandish" if it gives satisfaction to someone else is taking things a little out of the "I am allowed to not like something" zone.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2012 14:04:28

Anders Eliasson

RE: the ultimate Conde! (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

In most cases however, learning about something at a deeper level OFTEN affects tastes...that is the whole point of "acquired taste".

I agree on this. It took me a long time to appreciate Shostakovitch more introvert music, and now I really like it. But at the same time, there are things that I just dont learn to appreciate. The Al/paco/Mcloughlin trio doesnt do the thing for me and I heard it since it was new and on vinyl.
Same goes with the majority of solo flamenco guitar stuff. Its just empty for me. It doesnt touch me. And I´ve really tried......

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2012 8:05:40

Miguel de Maria

RE: the ultimate Conde! (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Anders, have you listened much to classical guitar? Some pretty nice stuff in there, even if you don't like Sor/Giuliani/Carcassi dink-dink-dink. :)

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2012 14:33:48

BobPasc

Hello. I question the details of the Paco/Al fight. Although some of it may be true there is one specific detail that I gained directly from Carlos Santana who claimed to have been there when the "punch" went down. I was fortunate to be on a flight with Carlos years ago and we chatted extensively. After the flight was had a cigarette together and he told me the story. Yes..there was building tensions between Paco and Al and it came to a head at one of the trio shows. Al was being a pain over several issues, some being about technique, guitar selection and tuning. During the discussion Al made a comment "Well...anyone who can't read music is ignorant anyway." That made Paco push Al and Al came back after him. Paco nailed him in the mouth knocking him to the floor. Then...Paco proceeded to the stage where he then rearranged the chairs moving Al's chair away from the other two. The tour continued without further discussion of the situation and at the time of Carlos telling me this story (which was probably around 2006 or so) He was not aware of them making up.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 5 2014 15:16:12

Cervantes

RE: the ultimate Conde! (in reply to Leñador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leñador

I spent 15 years +/- playing with a pick and it just doesn't do it for me anymore. Even guys that I used to think are amazing I listened to now and there's a little part of my brain that saying "yeah.......but it's with a pick." I dunno, used to love ADL but lately I'm just not feeling it.......much respect but the magic is gone for me......

I feel exactly the same way. When I was in college I worshiped Al and went to one of his concerts and was blown away. Now when I listen to that old stuff it sounds so fake with the pick and Ovation guitar. The notes have no character and are blurred together. Still he is one the greatest ever guitar players, just don't enjoy listening to it anymore. I would put Jeff Beck above Al actually in terms something old I would want to listen to.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2014 18:48:37

Ricardo

RE: the ultimate Conde! (in reply to Cervantes

though I don't get inspired to play LIKE Al anymore like I did at the end of high school, I am still inspired by 3 of his mid period albums that I think are great music. Kiss my Axe, World Sinfonia, and Heart of the Immagrants. Also I think his instructional video is quite informative even if you don't like his style or use a different technique. He has a totally different take on improvisation than Mclaughlin (another great instructional video).

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2014 22:52:42

Xavi

Al bashing generally has been in vogue by the community.

Per Ricardo, however, the Kiss My Axe-World Sinfonia-Heart of the Immigrants period produced some amazing music (much of it Piazolla-inspired). His Consequence of Chaos (2006) also offers some amazing contemporary instrumental music that rewards with repeated listenings, IMHO.

Al recently recorded an homage to Beatles music, but has a new "electric" CD in the works that should be amazing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2014 1:11:52

rafapak

quote:

Instead you have the Paco John duo concert which is great anyway.

is this concert on youtube ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 12 2023 0:48:16

Ricardo

RE: the ultimate Conde! (in reply to rafapak

quote:

ORIGINAL: rafapak

quote:

Instead you have the Paco John duo concert which is great anyway.

is this concert on youtube ?

No, Purchase from Abstract logix, DVD, CD, or vinyl.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 12 2023 5:08:07

rafapak

quote:

No, Purchase from Abstract logix, DVD, CD, or vinyl.

I went to abstract logic but found only music played by three of them. couldnt find paco and john concert. can you give me link to paco and john concert Ricardo please ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 12 2023 13:49:26

AndresK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 12 2023 13:57:36

Ricardo

RE: the ultimate Conde! (in reply to AndresK

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndresK

This is the same tour but not the same concert.

https://www.discogs.com/release/21788488-Paco-And-John-Live-At-Montreux-1987

Of course a similar repertoire is presented, and arguably better filming in the YouTube version, but DVD is higher quality picture and sound. Frevo is executed very differently tempo wise, and Caña de Azucar is switched for Guardian Angels and Sichia (double encore). John’s solo on the DVD is way more interesting as well. Paco’s solo is essentially the same.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2023 11:54:58

rafapak

thanks for links guys
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2023 22:42:57
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages