Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

First wedding and portable speaker system   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

johnnefastis

First wedding and portable speaker s... 

Hi

This weekend I was invited to play at a friends wedding. After practicing diligently to the metronome, playing to friends and using other tips from this forum such as making a bit of eye contact, having one drink and enjoying myself it went really well.

Anyway what I thought might be more useful to share with you all is the portable speaker set up I used. There was no electricity at the venue. I looked a bit at getting hold of a portable amp but none of them seemed to be what I needed (nice clean sound with phantom power) and I did not want to spend too much money.

Luckily had an inverter from a past project so I hooked it up to some sound gear that I have and ran some tests to see how much juice it all needed, and my results were.

Inverter 0.92 Amps at 12V
+ Mixer 1.52 Amps at 12V
+ Bartlett microphone 1.62 Amps at 12V
+ 1 Genelec 8030 no sound 2.36 Amps at 12V
+ 1 Genelec 8030 pushed to feedback 4.00 Amps at 12V

So using the theory that you should only run a battery half way down I went for 24 amp battery which should give a good 3 hours of playing.

It gave me great confidence to have a sound system that I knew and knew sounded good. In the future I would be interested to swap the Genelec for something a bit more powerful like the Ev zxa1 as the Genelec sounds great but its not so loud for outdoor gigs. But I need to find out how much juice the EV zxa1 would use, I think it may be quite efficient as it has a class d amplifier but I would not like to say without testing it.

I guess this is an expensive system to go out and buy but for me it worked out well as I had most of the bits.

Here is a photo of the power and mixer set up. I borrowed a friends box but I have discovered it would also fit nicely in a turntable case so I may install it properly in something like that sometime.

Cheers

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2012 21:59:26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message