Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Cante Top 200 Master List   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

srshea

Cante Top 200 Master List 

Alright gang, here it is, everything you’ve always wanted. What follows is a scientifically accurate, 100% definitive list of the top 200 letras that everyone needs to know if they want to understand cante and learn the art of accompaniment. Are you ready? Here we go. Here it is. Hold on to your hats. The letras everyone needs to know are:

Yeah, right. I know, like, five of them. So lets come up with the other 195. I think the kids call this “crowd sourcing” or “culture jamming” or a “flash mob” or something.

I figure if a number of people drop in and come up with just a handful each we can start heaping up a list. I’ll start a post below this one and add peoples nominations to the list and try to keep it organized. To keep things clean I guess it makes most sense to just make the list a straight list. If you want to add notes about the letras in the main body of your posts, who sing’s ‘em, the cantes they’re historically or traditionally linked to, fun facts, then my all means, go for it.

What we come up with might not be definitive, but it would be a good start for people who are really in the dark about this stuff. And even if we only make it to 50 or even 25, that’s not a bad little mini-canon. I’ll start out with what little I know, real basic stuff, and I’ll dig back through the archives later for other stuff.

SIGUIRIYAS

A Clavito y Canela
Siempre por los Rincones (look to Torre and Chacon for early prototypical versions of these (check Tomas Pavon, too), sung as Manuel Molina 1 and Manuel Torre 1)

De Santiago y Santa Ana (another big hit. Manuel Torre 3, sung by lots of big names, Terremoto, Caracol, Chocolate, Morente and more)

TANGOS

I think just about anything Pastora Pavon sings por tangos can be considered a “standard”.

A Guguru
A Mi Mare Abandone
Del Color De Cera Madre

TIENTOS

More Pastora

No Te He Dao Motivos
Pregunto en Una Ocasion

CARACOLES

Como Reluce (so far as I know, Chacon’s recording of this is, if not the first recording of caracoles, at the very least the blueprint for the cante.)

MALAGUENAS

Viva Madrid (Chacon. He’s a clearinghouse for malguenas. I heard someone singing this one this morning, Nino de Barbate, I think. Caracol does it.)

MALAGUENAS DE MELLIZO

Que Te Olvidara (Aurelio Selle)

TARANTO

Ay Mi Muchacho (Torre)

BULERIAS POR SOLEA

Cuando Tu Me Eches A Mi De Menos (bulerias Larga. Torre, Tomas Pavon, Agujetas)
Al de la Puerta Real (I hear this one a lot in modern recording, not so much in old stuff. Wait a minute, Mairena sings that one. That's old.)

SOLEA

Por Ti Abandone A Mis Ninos (Torre’s version of Joaquin el de la Paula 1)
Valgame Dios No Le Temes (Tomas Pavon’s version of la Paula 1, sounds quite a bit different than Torre. Gotta get used to different guys singing the same cantes in different ways, hearing the ways they match up and the ways they don’t)
Acuerdate Cuando Entonces (Frijones 2. Tomas Pavon’s version will blow your speakers out)

Alright, that’s all I’ve got for tonight. That’s about fifteen or so, so we’re off and running. If there’s anything on here that anyone thinks should be cut from the team, let me know.

Alright, have at it:
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 4:03:55

srshea

RE: Cante Top 200 Master List (in reply to srshea

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXBIG OL' LIST UNDER CONSTRUCTIONXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 4:05:47

Ricardo

quote:

Ay Mi Muchaco (Torre)

NIce work overall. This cante is actually TARANTO. TarantA is a different melody.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 17:56:29

srshea

RE: Cante Top 200 Master List (in reply to Ricardo

Cool, thanks. Any and all corrections are more than welcome. And I know that we‘re always depending on you to do our heavy lifting for us and that you’ve already shared plenty of similar info in the past, but feel free to throw two or three nominations into the list.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 18:10:08

srshea

Woah, woah, woah, guys, slow down, I can hardly keep up with this flood of suggestions.

Thinking and poking around and coming up with a few more:

El Sitio Donde Te Hable- Bulerias (Macanita, los Zambos) Bulerias por solea (Tomas)

Ven Aca Mujer- Martinete (Tomas, Rafael Romero. You don’t need to worry about accompanying it, but you need to be a good aficonado and learn it anyway)

Manuela de Mi Alma- Siguiriyas (Torre, Indio Gitano, Agujetas)

Contemplarme a Mi Mare- Siguiriyas (Torre, Agujetas)

Que Te Calles, Que Te Calles- Tangos (Pastora, Chaqueta) Bulerias- (Camaron)

I'm really looking forward to seeing the other 180 letras when I wake up in the morning!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 3:07:12

Anders Eliasson

Malagueñas:
De la Trini (2)
Del Canario
Del Mellizo (corto y largo)

Malagueñas have an enormous amount of versions 30 - 40 I think, but with these 5 you are well covered

Caracol is not considered to be a reference point. His style is very personal. Mairena is more encyclopedial and there are many others. Old and new.

Granainas and Cartageneras both have two version.

Fandangos de Huelva have at least 50 variations and you have to know 10 - 15 in order to be covered. They also have different soniquetes. You are out if you play everything Huelva city style. (the most well known) If you know the 2 main styles, (Huelva y Alosno) and some of the Sierra styles, (Calañas (2), Almonaster(2) Valverde, Santa Barbera de casas, Cabezas Rubias, then you can play along.

etc. etc.

I general, I think you should put the style and origin before the name of the letra and the performer. Thats what is done in the peñas where I´ve been. Maybe some youtube references?¿ But be carefull, lots of errors on youtube.
I would have liked to contribute some more, but right now my personal situation is not for doing that right now. I´m sorry. But just as a taster, some Fandangos de Huelva. This is good and correct versions and the guitarists is very original and play with all the best. He knows his Fandangos.
The first part is different styles of Alosno. Then he speaks and sings Rebollo. Rebollo is very personal. Its not in compás like FdH and its not free form like most other Fandangos personales... Its Rebollo and its very difficult to accompany well.

And one more. Absolutely top level both artists: The first part is FdH (huelva style) and from 6:40 its Alosno style. What I like a lot is how Cortéz acompnys, especially in the Huelva part. Its so light and elegant. Thats very correct.

Btw, I dont consider Paco Toronjo a good reference point for FdH. His style is way to personal and often the guitarists were the standard ones in Madrid and they knew very little about FdH and played a lot of things like Fandangos personales.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 6:56:43

Ricardo

No doblen las campanas
creyeron que una reina
una reina no era
era una probe gitana...

I think its famous from caracol but maybe older...it's important because it has the extra half compas in the cambio with actual lyrics instead of the typical "zero verse" "prima de mi alma" type thing. I have heard it and accompanied it as Bulerias, buleria por solea, and Solea. Some people make it even longer by repeating "una reina no era" again so its like your on the C chord for 2 full compases before resolving.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 8:08:45

mark indigo

quote:

No doblen las campanas
creyeron que una reina
una reina no era
era una probe gitana...

do you have any audio reference for this letra?

i tried google and youtube, first line, first two lines, and both with and without "Manolo Caracol"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 12:47:47

Ricardo

RE: Cante Top 200 Master List (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark indigo

quote:

No doblen las campanas
creyeron que una reina
una reina no era
era una probe gitana...

do you have any audio reference for this letra?

i tried google and youtube, first line, first two lines, and both with and without "Manolo Caracol"

Solea at 3:25:

Buleria:
2:00

And 4:27

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 16:35:30

srshea

RE: Cante Top 200 Master List (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Cool, thanks, dudes!

I was hoping you’d chime in, Anders. Thanks for your input, and I hope you’re holding up alright out there.

quote:

I general, I think you should put the style and origin before the name of the letra and the performer.

Duly noted. I guess I’m waiting to see what sort of info people start dropping of in the thread before I actually try to organize it into a strict list, and if this thread accrues enough stuff maybe I could organize multiple lists, by letra, by cante, etc.

I hope people realize that this “Master List” and “definitive” and “Top 200” language I’m using here is kind of tongue in cheek. Just trying to put together a solid list of stuff to give me and other budding aficionados a place to get started and form a solid foundation to build upon.

Everyone out there who’s interested in cante, even if they’re just a beginner and are only starting to see the vaguest shapes forming when they look at this stuff, has to at least know a couple things, stuff that you keep hearing pop up all the time. I’ve listed off some pretty basic ones, so maybe I’ve already covered a lot the real obvious stuff, but if just ten people came up with just two or three letras here and add to what we’ve already got we can easily come up with a solid 50. It wouldn’t be an “Official Top 50” or anything, but it would be something, a basis for people to individually begin building up their own aficion, and a resource here on the Foro that can continue to grow over time.

Throw something out. If you’re unsure about the letra’s continued significance and usage, and its place in the 21st century, say so. Maybe some of the more experienced folks will offer corrections, “Yeah, that one went out with the Franco administration, they do it like this now..,” and we’ll all learn something. (I'm hoping that the usefulness this thread will extend well beyond just a cheat-sheet list-- Ricardo's stuff about the Caracol letra, Anders' Fandangos de Huelva notes, all great stuff!)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 18:08:17

srshea

RE: Cante Top 200 Master List (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

I only just recently ran into a distinction being drawn between two types of Malaguenas de Mellizo for the first time, ‘doble’ and ‘chico’, which presumably corresponds to your largo/corto labeling, doble being “regular” MdeM and chico being the same basic melody, same five line verse, but sung with less intensity, less dramatic stretching and pausing, but, maybe, a bit more with light, frilly melismas and stuff (maybe this helps make it more “chico?”)

Have you learned anything further about these two MdeM “versions?”
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 18:25:20

mark indigo

quote:

Solea at 3:25:
Buleria: 2:00
And 4:27

thanks!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 19:05:37

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: srshea

quote:

I only just recently ran into a distinction being drawn between two types of Malaguenas de Mellizo for the first time, ‘doble’ and ‘chico’, which presumably corresponds to your largo/corto labeling, doble being “regular” MdeM and chico being the same basic melody, same five line verse, but sung with less intensity, less dramatic stretching and pausing, but, maybe, a bit more with light, frilly melismas and stuff (maybe this helps make it more “chico?”)

Have you learned anything further about these two MdeM “versions?”

There is one that has a lower pitch melody goes to Am each tercio. THe other one stays up High and valiente on C major, and only goes to Am on the last line. Terremoto with M. Morao does the first one (can't find it on youtube). zambo with Moraito does the second one. Terremoto ALSO does a unique thing where he mixes the two, so first time goes down to Am. THe second tercio does the valiente thing staying on C major. Probably one of the best versions of Mellizo is his son terremoto jr, and he does it the same in the instructional Encuentro vid with Moraito. Both letras do the same exact thing. And he does the temple warm up that is typical granaina warm up. Remember, lots of singers will do granaina first then end with mellizo malagueña.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 19:36:41

srshea

quote:

Remember, lots of singers will do granaina first then end with mellizo malagueña.

Ah, cool! Yeah, I've got a Carmen de la Jara track (unfortunately not on youtube) from her Antiguo Gaditano deal where she does a Granaina de Aurelio and the the Mellizo chico. Granaina then Malaguena de Mellizo. Write it down, folks!

That de la Jara thing is a terrific resource, lot's of specific labeling that's kicked a lot of doors open for me as regards attributive labels for alegrias and tangos and stuff. I've been planning to post some stuff up, but I want to chop a bunch of tracks up for uploading first, so I'l git 'er done when I get find the time.

Thanks a bunch. Pretty sure I've got the other recordings you've mentioned. Is the Zambo on the Aire de Jerez familia thing?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 19:49:47

Ricardo

Zambo and moraito here. He does granaina first, then mellizo. NOtice no A minor till the end. Mellizo starts at 3:35

THere is also the infamous "buscando flor que amamba" letra that gets fought over whether or not it's malagueña or granaina. To me it's Granaina 100%, but both labels have been used. Examples: INdio Gitano with Gerardo, Porrina de Badajos sang a couple times, I think a youtube vid had Macanita singing it, Morente in Rito with manolo sanlucar. Apparently Morente made funny public comment about it to aficionados, he called it "malagueña in tonos de granaina".... or something like that, which means it doesn't really matter, it is what it is plain and simple.

When I accompanied Esperanza she sang it and called it "malagueña" and she changed one tono (first change after C, went to G not F...she was very specific)

NOtice second letra same valiente Mellizo as zambo up top (poor thing shes out of tune a lot on this). sorry can't find the other one that always goes A minor.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 19:57:09

srshea

Digging into the videos. Ricardo, do you know the style Caracol sings the No doblen las campas letra in? Such a quick little closer.

And, woah, so that half compas is inherent in the letra itself? So that’d be a three-line style plus that extra una reina no era in there. A 3.5 liner? And what’s the “prima” stuff he adds to the letra? Is that just a bonus? Sounded like Poveda added a companerita to his campanas. Just your usual filler stuff?

In the case of people repeating that una reina no era, so would that just end up squaring it out, compas-wise?

Back to the vids...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 23:32:08

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: srshea

Digging into the videos. Ricardo, do you know the style Caracol sings the No doblen las campas letra in? Such a quick little closer.

And, woah, so that half compas is inherent in the letra itself? So that’d be a three-line style plus that extra una reina no era in there. A 3.5 liner? And what’s the “prima” stuff he adds to the letra? Is that just a bonus? Sounded like Poveda added a companerita to his campanas. Just your usual filler stuff?

In the case of people repeating that una reina no era, so would that just end up squaring it out, compas-wise?

Back to the vids...

I honestly hoped the vids would be self explanatory....singers do whatever they want when they can control the voice and rhythm. LIke I was saying in the "does understanding the letra help guitarists" thread....you can see in only 3 examples that knowing the letra might not necessarily help with that much room for improvisation. The main important thing the guitar needs to look out for is that darn extra half compas of verse...or not...or if it gets repeated even more. Notice Jesus Mendez repeated extra.

The one I wanted in addition I THINK was Niño de Barbate with Paco de Lucia, its interpreted as buleria por solea...thats off top of my head. THe Caracol version Norman broke down (search it), and seemed even frustrated, as a big mix of styles. Piece of this piece of that plus extra kind of thing. And so you know the letra and the meaning and if you don't have the musicality to hold it together as what ever palo, you can get thrown off compas even....afterward scratching your head "wow that's not how it's supposed to go...." But it's a great example of a standard verse that gets toyed with a lot.

I always felt that to teach cante accompaniment or even cante itself, a single letra could be used to demo so many different styles. Even I have heard solea/buleria letra used in tangos and it really cleared things up for me as to what I was supposed to be listening to as the guitarist. Hearing the same exact style with different lyrics is also helpful, but can also be confusing if you get used to only one style with a specific letra. THen you get messed up hearing the same lyric you are used to in a different style.

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 8:22:35

mark indigo

quote:

THe Caracol version

after watching the vids and scratching around in other stuff i've got i found i think the same letra from Caracol por bulerías - i will have a proper listen later and chop it out and upload it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 9:05:27

srshea

quote:

I honestly hoped the vids would be self explanatory....

No, I get it. I was just thrown by the half-compas element being tied to a specific letra. That's a new one to me. I just listened to the whole Barbate/Paco 2-fer yesterday and have it right here, so I'll go back to it and listen for the 'una riena' letra. I'll try to chop it out and upload it if it's not on youtube.

And speaking of obvious answers staring you in the face, Pericon does Mellizo doble and chico on separate tracks on the Magna Antologia and Aurelio does the granaina/mellizo pairing. So, there it is.

Thanks again!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 14:26:00

srshea

quote:

Caracol version Norman broke down

Ah, found it. Wow, so that really is his own "creacion." Cool!

quote:

Ay qué dobles de campanas prima (echoes of Paquirri/Ribalta)
qué dobles de campanas prima (like Frijones but returns to tonic)
creyeron que era una reina (like Frijones)
una reina no era (extra tercio of bulería larga)
que era una pobre gitana /quote]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 15:07:52

srshea

quote:

Niño de Barbate with Paco de Lucia, its interpreted as buleria por solea...

Found it. 'Senti doble de campanas,' which I can't find on youtube. I'll try to chop it and upload it tomorrow.

Still getting my brain around the half-compas concept, so it's a bit over my head; Paco works it out to "normal" twelves (I know there's been plenty of discussion in the past about Paco being able to make everything "correct" in his accompaniment), but I can hear the cambio being 'suspended' during the 'reina una' line, and then a quick cierre. More listening and studying to do....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 15:57:17

mark indigo

Uploaded that Doblen Las Campanas letra Caracol Bulerias in Audio and Video Uploads section here

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=209743&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 18:25:16

srshea

Another, 'Redoblaron Las Campanas', from Pepe el Culata, on the Magna Antologia.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 22:40:22

srshea

More fuel for the fire:

En El Bario de Triana- Tonas, martinete, debla, etc., in a number of variations, by a host of singers, Mairena, Chocolate, Rafael Romero. Traces back to Tomas, if not earlier

A Cai No Le Llaman Cai- Common alegrias de Cadiz jam in various versions, Aurelio, Torre, etc.

La Virgen de la Merced- Common bulerias de Jerez y Cadiz jam in various versions, Aurelio, etc.

Por Lo Que Tu Quieras Que Pase- Solea, Agujetas

Tengo el Gusto Tan Colmao- Solea, Tomas, Fernanda

Al Verte Las Flores Lloran- Solea. I think Camaron might have done this one

Apregonao Me Tienes- Siguiriyas, Tomas, Pirinaca

Los Picaros Tartaneros- Cartagenera, Naranjito de Triana, Camaron

Bien Se Que Muero- Siguiriyas, Agujetas

Reina En Mi De Noche y De Dia- Cartagenera de Chacon- Morente, Juanito Valderama

Tu Eres Como Los Judios- Solea, bulerias por solea. Canela San Roque, Manuel Vallejo, Felix sang this one in the cante accompaniment challenge (along with Acuerdate Cuando Entonces )

Que Salio Un Bicho de Corredor- Taranta, Manuel Vallejo; Rondena, Rafael Romero(?)

Que Bonita es Triana- Tangos, Pastora, etc. (mentioned in another thread)

Me Llamo Curro Frijones- Solea de Jerez, Frijones 2 cante, often mixed with bulerias por solea and labeled as such- Jose Merce, El Zapatero, lots more

Delante De Mi Mare- Siguiriyas, Pastora

Cuando Yo Me Muera- Siguiriyas, Caracol, many more

A Mi Mare de Mi Alma- Solea, Tomas, Chocolate

Ven Aca Mujer Malina- Bulerias por solea, Tomas, Vallejo, Agujetas

A Mi Me Duele La Boca- Bulerias, Chano Lobato

Alright, I’ve got some serious letra fatigue, so this is it for me, for now. Any corrections would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone else wants to keep turning the gears on this, knock yourself out. I’ll continue to add to the list over time, and if the thread reaches a point where it seems worthwhile to organize its contents into something more user-friendly, I’ll do so. Otherwise, there’s plenty of stuff here to get anyone started. I’ve made plenty of homework for myself here, so, I’m off to do that.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2012 23:50:45

Ricardo

quote:

Los Picaros Tartaneros- Cartegenera, Naranjito de Triana; Tarantas, Camaron

It is cartegenera classica....Camaron would always end a round of cante de la mina with that regardless if first letra was taranto taranta levantica etc etc.

quote:

Me Llamo Curro Frijones- Bulerias por solea, solea, bulerias- Jose Merce, El Zapatero, lots more

This is solea de jerez....always....frijones version 2 as per norman's site. True in the modern day description they call it solea por buleria or mix in with buleria por solea letras ....especially for baile. But it is SOLEA. Also same lyric but with "antonio frijones" not sure who was antonio or curro....but you get the idea.

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 4 2012 0:27:02

srshea

Cool, thanks! Corrections noted.

Saw the Camaron labeled as taranta and jumped to a conclusion.

Of the stuff I've come up with so far, how would you grade this as far as actual 'core repertoire' importance goes. Not in completeness, obviously, just the real-world usefulness, either in accompanying, or at least just in building up aficion? I've got my fingers cross for a C-, but I'll take an 'incomplete' if I have to.

Thanks, Teach!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 4 2012 0:40:06

Ricardo

Good job but need things like Tanguillo de cadiz,
Guajiras me gusta por la mañana,
Cantiñas de pinini,
Romeras -zarzamora,
Siguiriyas de Curro durse - Dicen que duerme (macho for baile),
siguiriyas- por lo siete dolores,
Buleria de cadiz-dicen que van a poner,
granainas - Y no llegastes a quererme, serrana....
fandango de gloria -reza por me todo lo dia, caracol- malva loca,
buleria de jerez-nada mas quieres dinero gitana, amante pajajero, quatro por fancisco, por dios tomasa,
classic camaron/pepe de lucia bulerias like ya no me cante Cigarra (huapango de mexico), sueños del amor/El Alba, la luna brilla, so many....
Tangos - Giralda and guadaquivir candy, cachito de pan type estribillos, La molinera, la portuguesa,

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 4 2012 1:15:46

clevblue

I haven't got past Pastora Pavon yet! What a brilliant voice
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 4 2012 1:20:30

srshea

quote:

Good job but need things like Tanguillo de cadiz,
Guajiras me gusta por la mañana...

Aw, cool, Norman tipped me off to that guajiras but I couldn’t track it down. Got it now.

Yeah, what I’ve been able to come up with so far is just basic leads I’ve been following, and stuff that seems universal enough that even I know it, but it’s also generally reflective of what I’ve been focused on lately, which is just basic, solea, siguiriyas, tangos, a little alegrias, etc. In the interest of not piling my plate too high there’s just a lot of stuff on the back burner for me right now, or not even on the stove yet, tanguillos, the broader cantinas family, lots of fandangos, any cante that starts with the letter “Z”, etc.

I’ve also been on a pretty strict Gaditano/Jerezano diet, except for the Pavons, for a number of months now, so lots of Utrera, Lebrija, Triana stuff, much less the farther reaches-- Cordoba, Grenada stuff and beyond, just isn’t really on my radar right now. All it time. One of the reasons I wanted to open this up to the whole membership, get some gaps filled in.

Thanks for filling in some gaps! (Por lo siete dolores, dammit, I knew that one )

By the way, I’ve got a book here, Cantaores de Lebrija en el Recuerdo, that’s got a list of about thirty recordings of cantinas de Pinini, from numerous artists, and a shorter discog of of some Lebrija singers who have recorded Chozas’s bulerias. I know you’ve talked about both a lot in the past, so I can type those up if you’re interested, see if there’s anything you haven’t heard before. Lemme know.

quote:

I haven't got past Pastora Pavon yet!

Plenty worse places to be stuck!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 4 2012 2:04:33

Ricardo

quote:

There is one that has a lower pitch melody goes to Am each tercio. THe other one stays up High and valiente on C major, and only goes to Am on the last line. Terremoto with M. Morao does the first one (can't find it on youtube).

Ok found it and clipped it out for comparison. Great performance.

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=209901&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 5 2012 7:00:51
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message