Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: When is it...not Flamenco??   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Florian

RE: When is it...not Flamenco?? (in reply to Kate

Kate no you didnt offend me, and having had the oportunity to play for workshops and taking private classes and talking and asking many questions with some of the best dancers and guitarists today, I tought that my opinion was just as relevant.

And I hope to see you there one day, as i am sure i will.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 16:14:40

Ricardo

RE: When is it...not Flamenco?? (in reply to larone

quote:

Defining puro flamenco is not a matter of taste it is a matter of respect to the art and tha artists.

quote:

there are many discussions of the puro way of playing or singing whatever palo. I have often heard the artists debating in the minutest detail what makes something 'puro' even down to the delivery.

I think this shows a condradiction. The point being that it is a matter of taste and personal preference. Who keeps claiming that flamenco puro is dying? The young people doing new things, or the old people who sing the same stuff? Paco made it clear that there was a way to keep flamenco "pure" without playing or singing the same old stuff. It really caught on, because so many recognized that as pure, but of course there are many who disagree. To some, only the traditional is pure. Flamenco is not meant to be "classical" IMO, it is meant to accept change. But there is nothing wrong with just playing or singing the classics. It will ALWAYS be there, no danger of "dying". Since Shoenberg, no one is afraid Bach will dissappear, LOL! Likewise, a lot of old flamenco has been presereved in excellent recordings. I have seen plenty of young people in Spain playing and singing old stuff. You have to be really advanced and have a taste for modern stuff like Canizares or Duquende. But is one more PURE than the other just because it was created at a certain time?

If the level of purity is not a matter of taste, than WHO is it that makes the defenition? I have had a rare opportunity to accompany a Solea for Diego Agujetas in a bar in Sanlucar a few years ago. Does that give ME more of a right than ToddK at defining "puro" flamenco guitar? If you think so than, I am sorry, you don't play guitar.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 17:42:49

Escribano

RE: When is it...not Flamenco?? (in reply to Florian

quote:

Unless you think that real flamenco only happens in Spain?

Unless they are on tour

Seriously though, there is a flamenco lifestyle which would be very hard to experience outside of the main Spanish centres. If I wanted to learn how to be a flamenco I would come to Andalucia (at least for extended visits).

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 18:17:32

Mark2

RE: When is it...not Flamenco?? (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

Yeah Mark...but that's impossible for a lot of Flamenco guitar enthusiasts around the world.
So in a way I don't think that's a fair benchmark for most amateurs who frequent the flamenco forums.
I think that (especially in solo style) one can, with a lot of work, acquire enough knowledge and technique to play a perfectly respectable and competent piece of music which would be judged as good by anyone from the flamenco community, even in Andalucia.

cheers

Ron

I agree Ron, and there are people who post their work on this forum who have proved your point. But, they were not the example you first wrote about-you wrote about a fictional guy who claims to play flamenco without really understanding it. And my point was that this hypothetical player may be able to fool an audience, but not a flamenco singer or dancer.
And I have to agree with Kate as well, in her distinction between people who love flamenco, and those she calls "flamencos"
My passion is surfing, and believe me, it's not fair. In many cases, less skilled surfers, or those who simply live in a different town, are not allowed equal access to the waves. Flamenco is not fair either. Non gypsy, non Spanish, non Spanish speaking, etc. are not given equal access.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 18:39:55

Ricardo

quote:

I think that (especially in solo style) one can, with a lot of work, acquire enough knowledge and technique to play a perfectly respectable and competent piece of music which would be judged as good by anyone from the flamenco community, even in Andalucia.

Ok, respectable, competent, good,.....but pure? Eventually you guys will have to admit that a flamenco guitar solo could never be considered "pure flamenco" since it's role must be for accomp only. Or only a great accompanist could deliver a "pure" guitar solo. I say that is BS. Cante solo, footwork solo, guitar solo, cajon solo, whatever, can be flamenco puro depending on the tastes and knowleadge of performer and audience.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 19:04:23

Florian

RE: When is it...not Flamenco?? (in reply to Escribano

Simon saying that i have to come to Spain to learn how to be a flamenco is like saying that i have to go into church to find god :-)

I would love to come to Spain one day, and If i am not a flamenco, by playing all day and night , accompanying dancers or singers, watching every flamenco dvd , listening to having heard 70 % of every flamenco cd ever to come out of Spain, instantly reconising (98%) of each plao after 5 the first 7 seconds. After I make love to a girl I find myself tapping buleria rythm on her naked ass, if that does not make me a flamenco , i dont think coming to Spain can help me :-)

quote:

there is a flamenco lifestyle which would be very hard to experience outside of the main Spanish centres

like what ? give me an example of something they can experiance there that i cant experiance here or wherever i happen to be ?

There' alot more to it than the examples i have used above i know but I am in no mood to proove how flamenco i am or i am not.

quote:

After I make love to a girl I find myself tapping buleria rythm on her naked ass,
that alone should count for 50% of my flamenconess. hehe

btw. the time here is now 5.14 am and i have been up all night transcribing and practicing a sevillana for a gig that should count for .1% or something. lol
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 19:22:34

Mark2

RE: When is it...not Flamenco?? (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Cante solo, footwork solo, guitar solo, cajon solo, whatever, can be flamenco puro depending on the tastes and knowleadge of performer and audience.

Ricardo

I'm with you until the "whatever". I was going to say cajon, but then I thought about a cajon guy playing a solo over palmas and thought, yeah, ok. But I don't know about "whatever". Violin or cello, for example. I don't know that I will ever consider those instruments capable of producing on their own what "I" consider "pure" flamenco. Have you heard Jose Luis Monton's "Sin Querer"? Abundant violin on this great guitarist's record. And the violinist is trying his best to play with a flamenco vibe. Really interesting violin work. But it ain't "puro" to "me" The concept of "pure" is surely an individual thing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 19:32:39

Mark2

quote:

Simon saying that i have to come to Spain to learn how to be a flamenco is like saying that i have to go into church to find god :-)

No man, it's not like that. God is everywhere, but flamenco is in Spain. As much as you love it, you owe it to yourself to go there, and stay for as long as humanly possible. It's all about the atmosphere, the food, the people, etc. You love flamenco, and you should see where it was born. And, hell, bring that girl-she sounds, uh, understanding.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 19:41:04

Florian

RE: When is it...not Flamenco?? (in reply to Mark2

Mark I would love to go to Spain when i can afford it :-) i know is not like that , i know is where flamenco comes from, and i am familiar with the food and the atmosphere and the pple since theres Spanish pple here :-)

Is just that telling a guy whos whole life is flamenco thats all he does and loves (regardless of weather you think he plays well or not) ofcourse he will stand up and respond the way I did :-)

I dont care if you Paco de Lucia , you dont get to tell me if I am flamenco enough of not, I am not saying that Simon said that I am just speaking general, i know how much i put into it and i know how much i love it so anyone that attempts to tell me that what i have is not the real thing, is just a pretend, i will argue with :-)

there is flamenco singers here born in spain , theres dancers and guitarists here that go to spain every year to better themselfs and bring ideas back etc, and finaly theres even Spanish pple here that make Tortilla and Paella, so even tho i have not been to Spain myself what goes on here is just as much real as what goes on there, at a different level ofcourse but still just as real :-)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 19:58:31

Escribano

RE: When is it...not Flamenco?? A SP... (in reply to Florian

quote:

saying that i have to come to Spain to learn how to be a flamenco is like saying that i have to go into church to find god

No, it's like saying, if you want to learn Spanish, go to a Spanish-speaking country, like Spain (it can only help).

quote:

give me an example of something they can experiance there that i cant experiance here or wherever i happen to be

There is no competition but remember this drunken Saturday evening in Jerez? http://www.foroflamenco.com/jerez2004/images/Moneo%202.wmv

We won't find this in Granada anywhere near as easily but you have the offer to stay at my place for free (bring a paintbrush), the bus to Granada stops just outside my house (2 Euros). I'll even pay your airfare, one-way (you find the cheapest to Madrid, or London then Monarch or RyanAir for Granada).

You'll have to find work for beer and food, though I might give you a discount for some lessons from you. Should be able to stay for 3 months on an Aussie passport. Best time would be for Jerez festival next year, but I'm easy.

I'm serious.

Call it the first foroflamenco scholarship. Be warned, in my valley, your solea will get lots of polishing.

p.s. bring the girl, I feel like some cajon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 20:09:10

gerundino63

In My oppinion this is a silly discusion.

Can anybody clarify pure for me?

I know pure chocalate, pure gold, it means mixed with nothing.

Are we talking the same thing here?

When got the guitar involved wit the singing?, was it pure before the guitar was involved?

I red in an article a few years ago where a gipsy lady told, that flamenco is impossible on a stage.

so, is it not pure if it is performed on a stage?

If that is so, is it not Pure on a record?

When I play my guitar, I play flamenco. the only thing I can do on a guitar, I play from the heart, mean and feel what I play, the best I can do on that perticular moment, it feels pure for me, but is it?

I do not know, so, can anybody tell me what is pure?

Peter

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 20:10:59

Escribano

quote:

i know how much i love it so anyone that attempts to tell me that what i have is not the real thing, is just a pretend, i will argue with

Está en el corazón. I've felt that way about the Latin Mediterranean countries, since I was 12 years old. I know what you mean. I wasn't indicating that anyone was pretending.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 20:15:35

Florian

RE: When is it...not Flamenco?? A SP... (in reply to Escribano

HAHAha you crasy man !

I couldnt possibly accept that Simon first of all id have to wait till Kate forghets about this so that i dont get a slap as soon as i get off the plane..

and than, is not something i have earned myself I would feel gulty everysingle day of being there :-)

and 3rd i dont have my own girl at the moment i am just borowing from here and there :-)

i am 1 million % thankfull and speacheless for this offer tho :-)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 20:17:26

Ron.M

Wow!,
Trust Kate to throw a log on the burning embers!!

Great conversation folks...I love this kinda stuff!.

quote:

i dont think coming to Spain can help me :-)

Florian, if there is anything you must do, is to save up and go there!

I think it will turn your head around... honestly amigo!

Not in a bad (like I don't know anything) sort of way, but in a good way that will give you a lot more perspective on your work.
I think the Flamencos will love you!
You've got mucho corazón...and that's what they respect most.

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 20:21:59

Escribano

RE: When is it...not Flamenco?? (in reply to gerundino63

quote:

I do not know, so, can anybody tell me what is pure?

As I expected, this brings a long, heated discussion. The thread has deviated from the question: "What is (or is not) flamenco?"

I assume punk is not flamenco, so we are working within fairly tight parameters; in which case, it's is like asking "what is love?"

For me it's a canteor/ora, guitar and palmas, in a small venue like a peña or parlour, the odd jaleo, the sweet smoke of Ducados...

... and a beautiful girl. When she looks at me, I see a different, happy life stretch before me. Like a sunny path down through the trees, to the river. Of course. she is not my girl. She's married to the philandering lemonade seller and I just passed her on the mule path.

It's not transcribing or technique. It's an evocation, a lifestyle, aspirations, hopes, dreams, love, loss, death. The song of the disposessed. It's romance, dammit! Oh, and compás. .

Sorry, got all poetic there for a moment. Back to practising then.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 20:31:44

Florian

RE: When is it...not Flamenco?? (in reply to Ron.M

Ofcourse i want to and i will one day Ron, i mean is where every guitarist i idolise is.

I hope none of my comments have come off as snobing off spain or pple living there or saying that going there would not be a big plus for anyone involved in flamenco it was absoluteley not my intention.

quote:

You've got mucho corazón]

if thats what you call stubborn... IL take it
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 20:36:31

Ron.M

quote:

Cante solo, footwork solo, guitar solo, cajon solo, whatever, can be flamenco puro depending on the tastes and knowleadge of performer and audience.

Absolutely, Ricardo,
The thing is that I seem to hear bigger "olés" from a crowd (and fellow performers) when a guitarist suddenly plays a "primitive" falseta that makes everybody smile and cheer.
Why?
Because I think that it touches folk in a way that speed and pyrotechnics doesn't.
I've been listening to much early Paco de Lucia recently and one thing I can say is that his falsetas were never "technically" led, but "musically" and "emotionally" led.
Some of his very simple sounding falsetas have the most complicated fingering imaginible, just to get the sound he wanted.
IMO that's why he is the genius he is.

I also think that "Antigua" is a less loaded word than "Puro".

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 20:38:07

Florian

Simon...

You are by far i think the most generous man i know .. if theres ever anything, anything at all i can help with it would be my pleasure.

and just so u know , whenever i do disagree with you , I feel very very gulty as i do when I disagree with Ron , but is almost become a fun game with him, I kind of do it just for the sake of disagreeing :-) but thats just between you and me I am like the punk son hes always never known he wanted.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 20:47:33

Escribano

RE: When is it...not Flamenco?? (in reply to Mark2

quote:

the violinist is trying his best to play with a flamenco vibe. Really interesting violin work. But it ain't "puro" to "me"

I agree and I don't like violin in flamenco (99.9%) of the time. Bernado Parrilla with Tomatito in London a couple of years back was a joke. Perhaps because it is a less percussive device? Then again I have heard some soulful cello.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 20:57:00

Ron.M

Huh?
Just for the sake of disagreeing?
Let me tell you young man, I remember Flamenco in the real days when all the men wore red pirate shirts with puffy sleeves and sombreros and the women all played castanettes.
Ay...those were the days....

True Flamenco "Puro",

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 20:57:27

Escribano

quote:

I am like the punk son hes always never known he wanted.
Maybe, if he only he could keep up with his Dad.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 20:59:33

ToddK

Ron,

You are generalizing! The New stuff, isnt always Pyrotechnical.
There's tons of pyrotechnics all over the old "puro" stuff as well.
That shouldnt even be a factor.

Its just a new approach. More syncopated here or there.
More exotic harmony. But compas and overall vibe remains imo.
Just as much emotional content in an Amigo Taranta, as anything old
or new. I think people like Amigo and Tomatito have kept
the primitive drive in the music/playing.

In my ears, i can hear the continuity from R. Montoya, through
to Paco, to Amigo/Maya /Nunezetc
They are all speaking the same tongue.
At the center of it, imho, things havent really changed much.
TK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 21:18:06

Ron.M

RE: When is it...not Flamenco?? (in reply to ToddK

quote:

The thing is that I seem to hear bigger "olés" from a crowd (and fellow performers) when a guitarist suddenly plays a "primitive" falseta that makes everybody smile and cheer

Todd,
I'm not the one who is generalising...only reporting the reactions I've seen.
(Admittedly, not in real life, but via Ondajerez TV)
I'm not putting down pyrotechnics in the least..
That's what kept everybody on the edge of their seats during the brilliant Nunez concert in Dundee.
Without someone like that, life would be the lesser IMO.
I love seeing "wicked" players as much as I love hearing "primitive" stuff.
One is not "better" than the other...
That's what makes this music so beautiful and exciting IMO.

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 21:27:30

Ron.M

RE: When is it...not Flamenco?? (in reply to Escribano

quote:

It's an evocation, a lifestyle, aspirations, hopes, dreams, love, loss, death. The song of the disposessed. It's romance, dammit! Oh, and compás. .

Sí,
.....and the Evil Thumb!

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 21:36:35

Miguel de Maria

Wow, I step away for a day and foroflamenco has woken up! I like it!

Kate,
I can understand how all the people in your community would agree on the style of music they have grown up loving and performing. It seems to me that when they say "puro" they are talking about a specific way of performing the music which is open to gypsies and people who were born in Granada (or Jerez, or whatever). Those who are from this area and follow the traditions are puro. Anyone else is a pretender. While I can sympathize with their point of view, I don't agree, anymore that I agree that all jazz which is played by non-New Orleans residents (well there aren't any anymore) is not "puro" jazz.

What we are really taking about is an exclusionary and racist set of standards. I love this type of music too and I agree it should be nurtured and not allowed to fall by the wayside, pushed away by the "le le le's", but I still reject this snobby terminology and mentality. Disagreement aside, surely you know that I applaud your work in this area and hope you can continue it as long as you wish.

Florian,
go to Spain! You will learn so much and you will love it. You really should do anything in your power to get over there. No lip from you, young man, just go!

Everyone else,
it seems to me that the essence of this argument is the same old generation gap, old vs. new, roots vs. growth kind of thing. It's very natural, and the only salve is tolerance. You may think that your kind of flamenco is "authentic" or "puro", but just a little knowledge of the history of flamenco (not merely of your town, but the big picture) shows you that flamenco is by nature an amalgamation of Gypsy, Sephardic, and Arabic musics. The guitar technique is a folk technique with many significant additions from the classical masters of Spain. What many call a pure and ancient thing is not really that old at all, and those who decry its commercialization don't seem to know or acknowledge that the professionals have created most of its features.

Nothing stands still and kids always have to go further than what was before. Old folks curse the modern football players who have their own dances, or badmouth the incredible athletes who play basketball for their flashy styles. But the young'uns are just going to roll their eyes at them, because "they don't get it." But is either of them right? Is it more pure to shoot a layup than a rim-rattling dunk? Give me a break...anyways they both count for 2 points.

I don't like the new forms of flamenco half as much as older stuff, but I wouldn't insult the artists of a livign art for their experimentations and innovations by telling them that their art is not pure. It reflects very poorly on those who do and shows a lack of perspective. Unless you want to play bulerias all day, it might help to reflect on the many beautiful palos of flamenco and remember that they came about by evolution, not a single clap of inspiration from a "puro" Gipsy family in Jerez!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 21:43:30

Ricardo

quote:

I'm with up until the "whatever". I was going to say cajon, but then I thought about a cajon guy playing a solo over palmas and thought, yeah, ok. But I don't know about "whatever". Violin or cello, for example. I don't know that I will ever consider those instruments capable of producing on their own what "I" consider "pure" flamenco.

See, that's my point. You and I have a similar place to draw the line. It is taste and opinion. That is why I said "whatever". There are many who draw the line at "Cante solo". Imagine if I had said "cajon solo" before 1981. People would be like "how is that flamenco at all?". Flamenco is very open to change, and it is all about where we each draw the line personally. I saw cajon doing flamenco puro in Sanlucar many years ago, and my opinion about it changed overnight. I am open to something new in my "whatever" category to change my mind again. Some pianists know their stuff, but have not convinced me. Could be I have yet to discover something very great and "pure". Oh, there is a young kid in a bar in Sanlucar playing flamenco Clarinet. You would be surprised!

Florian, I am with you on your attitude, but if you have yet to go....I wish I had argued with Simon. Take him up on the offer NOW! Plenty of hot ass to tap bulerias on...did I say that out loud?

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 22:13:54

Mark2

quote:

Plenty of hot ass to tap

ole!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 22:46:44

Florian

Miguel .. working on it getting there.

Hehe Ricardo you crack me up

I will go, when i go i will visit Simon and even stay over for a few nights if he still lets me , but i have to fly myself there atlist. There are some offers just too big and generous to accept if that makes any sense.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 23:03:11

Escribano

quote:

There are some offers just too big and generous to accept if that makes any sense.

Claro, entiendo. Mucho ahorras!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 23:18:53

Escribano

RE: When is it...not Flamenco?? (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

not a single clap of inspiration from a "puro" Gipsy family in Jerez!

If you're picking me up on the video clip, it is the best I can come up with as an example of my experience in Spain so far. After all, evolution is hard to video

Just a thought and to mis-quote a consulting axiom "for something to be managed (and therefore improved) it must be measurable"

I thought about the Delta blues analogy myself (with Eric Clapton as the payo).

I'm off to bed, my head hurts but thanks for the thread guys.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2005 23:35:40
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote