Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Some Inspiering Wisdom on Practice   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Florian

RE: Some Inspiering Wisdom on Practice (in reply to Florian

quote:

Sorry I don't normally advertise myself much.

its not advertising man, i like it, i asked..i love seeing videos of performances..i like knowing what members do
quote:

Fanny here was the LEAST rehearsed I only saw the opening llamada before doing this performance...it was 100% improvised and I had never worked with her before

wow that's very good...yes ..unless theres choreographic stops and changes should be able to just do that...but still ...piece of mind lol hate doing those things where i dont know whats coming...but if pulled off its most satisfying i think...

it looks like you rehearsed for months...one thing i also noticed that was really nice ...did you and the other guitarist work out those waving rasqueado ( like you seem to be doing different stuff that compliments each other...was that worked out or it just happened ?) in the llamadas ? that's something we need to learn here...when theres 2 guitarists...complimenting each other

quote:

I totally got the picture why Hollywood is the center of the entertainment world after that gig...super pro.

yeah man absolutely is why i was so shocked you wouldn't show us something like this ...the quality is totally pro !! the sound the camera angles everything...makes a difference

imo this should definitely be in your artist pack to festivals...if you dont have the dvd use keepvid to download it from fanny...or ask her for it

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2012 7:17:09

Florian

quote:

I practiced like that for years, it helped me to master and maintain material and to become more consistent and experienced. It also helped me to reach and maintain a high level, but only to a certain extent. One day (close to my yearly exam) i decided that i wanted to become at least 10 times better and more drastic measures were needed.

I decided to forgot everything i'd learned during the previous 30 years and to start from scratch. I was intended to learn myself to play the guitar again from level zero. From Paco de Lucia i went back to simple exercises like 1234, but this time with FOCUS. Soon i discovered that playing 1234 was still way to difficult because no one can focus on 3 things at the same time (left hand,right hand and rhythm)....and with focus i mean 200% concentration. So i studied left and right hand separately, only to find out 4 fingers were still a lot to deal with. So i went back to 1 finger and from 1 finger to parts off fingers and from...well you goth my drift.

The first week i studied 1 hour a day....very simple exercises (blinking an eye would come close) investigating every cell in my body and my guitar. I did tonal experiments (just find yourself a perfect tone and listen to it's development), surged and found better ways to generate/transpose energy and i started to adapt mental trainings. Everything i did with incredible focus, absorbing all new elements and as soon as i new the right feeling i abandoned my guitar to continue practicing in my head only.

Every single day i emptied my glass (you can't adapt new knowledge if you are full of old crap) putting in enormous amounts of energy, guiding, monitoring and evaluating events with complete focus. 1 hour of "on focus" training equaled 40 hours of "normal repetitive training", both in input as in output. I went to hell and back. I studied complete relaxation of fingers, hands, arms, feelings, thoughts, energy generation/transposal, techniques (scales,gripings, bindings, tremolo, arpeggio, pulgar you name it) tonal generations, acoustics, feeling string energy etc.etc. Just like Grisha i favored variation, absolute focus, absolute relaxation and absolute control over rhythm and direct results. As a matter of fact i didn't only play slowly, i actually played without rhythm, favoring absolute control and awareness over all other aspects.

The next week i practiced 2 hours a day. 1 hour of mental, technical, energetical, tonal and acoustic experiments and 1 hour of adapting music, but ones again prevailing absolute control in energy input, relaxation, movements and thought over all other aspects. As it turned out focusing on extremely small objects in combination with mental visualization brings one in a higher state of awareness allowing you to spot even more. As a result various new laws of nature revealed them self to me that were completely unknown to me before. I could see, understand, handle and visualize more and more complex situations.
The third week i raised to 3 hours a day. At the end of week 3 (28 hours of training) i did indeed raise my level from level 1 to level 10 on a workable base

In stead of 6 strings and 12 positions i (more or less) felt 1 string and 1 position.
Unlike before my left hand little finger became my new point of reference for positioning, replacing the regular index finger.
My right hand could execute all techniques from almost 1 position.
I generated and transposed a "completely" different kind of energy.
I could mentally run trough complete pieces, feeling fingers, string energy, guitar resonance you name it.
I could even spot string vibration and discovered that you can only add new energy on very specific moments...it felt like pushing someone in a swing, If you push at the right moment you add energy, if you push at the wrong moment you block energy. I did that with trembling strings like i had a build in oscilloscope slowing down time.
Dynamics was "replaced" by energy levels (which is quite a different thing).
Rhythm was "replaced" by meticulous energybalance control.

After i passed my yearly exam i went to the beach, 1 day became 2 and soon i lost everything i gained. Like before i continued playing chess 12/7 (with zero results, no talents on that field i'm afraid) only attending weekly lessons at music high school and doing some occasional routine exercises. And every year (4 years on a row) i managed to rebuild myself from scratch in the last 4 weeks with above harsh regime and with consistent results.

So for me it works. None of this ever came to me performing "mindless metronome repetition". Obviously one can adapt this approach again as soon as one is re- calibrated..... if one still feels the need :-)

I know first hand that 30 hours of "power study' with THE RIGHT STATE OF MIND (both it's strength and it's weakness) beats years of medium tempo drillings. Unfortunately i lost my lust/ability to study like that 20 years ago because the amount of energy exchange is nerve ragging. So right now i restrict my training to medium tempo drillings as well, accepting and suffering all it's limitations.

i'll tell more about some of the exercises i applied later.....keep posted

that's absolutely brilliant post Erik thank you for sharing

I do tear myself down back to basics at times (with rithm...exercises etc...not as often as i should and plan too)...but specially lately ...its why i am so excited about this chromatic exercises by sierra ....like you think...i am pretty good...then something simple and plain comes and you cant do it properly ...or it feels a lot harder than it should...so you thinking wtf ???

i mean i can run through them...and was fast, sounded good..but then i recorded myself to check with metronome...and i see uneven gaps in the wavefile...and different volumes etc..and its simple cromatic up and down ..

my little finger leading is not as strong as my index...so i should work 3 times harder to make it even...

and i just tried an entry picado exercise ...its plain...should be simple...but its uneven ...so i am thinking...wtf are you doing over here florian lol..so im striping down and working every weakness i find...

the entry picado exercise i should be able to do evenly...I do ok once i build momento but takes a couple of goes...need to be honest with myself, tear myself down build myself back up again...nothing hard about it so why am i having trouble mentaning evenes and consistant volume throughout and feeling secure

here it is...from last night, graphic of wavefile doing this picado...i had a sock in there so i wouldn't wake my girlfriend...but u can see uneven gaps in there...until i get this even, and secure i am not moving anywhere

btw...this is a test i suggest everyone tries on themselves...and be honest with yourself

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2012 7:37:48

XXX

Apropos it would also be cool to see the performance of Chuscales, Ricardo and Jason.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2012 11:23:21

Erik van Goch

I guess you already know howe i would try to solve the picado problem.

First of all skip the left hand....you need all your concentration to guide, monitor, evaluate and improve your right arm/hand and fingers. I always start with my arm and hand hanging in walking position(when they are completely relaxed and in natural position). Then i lift my arm and without moving a single finger i bring my hand to the place of action. Only the last adjustments may involve altering orininal hand/finger position(if necessary)....this guarantees me an excellent and relaxed starting position at all times.

Make friends with your fingers on an individual base.
Start with 1 finger. From walking position put it on the string without pressing (just tipping).
Make sure it's relaxed, lift it, put it down again (all very relaxed). 100 times with complete devotion
Now press the string slightly (without pulling, just add a little pressure and release pressure again. Every molecule of energy must be added, lived and released with full awareness. Also focus on the right relaxation of your arm/hand/finger especially the finger phalange and there connections. Also feel the string resistance/tension.

After studying that for a wile you can try to play the open string...concentrate on the sound and find one you like>>>i'm still playing one finger only
Once you found a nice sound try to repeat it....if by accident you find yourself a better one in the process, try to re-find that one.
Once you have a consistent sound and energy input (generated by a relaxed finger) try to hit the string with a consistent pulse. With consistent input and consistent tonal development this means that you have to add new energy at the same moment of it's tonal development >>> consistent energy input> consistent sound development>consistent moment for adding new energy. (don't you just love it!!! you don't plug the string again, you ADD new energy, like pushing somebody on a swing). Works fabulous with tremolo as well (one of my favorite exercises)

This development may take a couple of days/weeks
Do the same with the other finger.
Try to connect them with the same devotion and awareness.
Pay a lot of attention to relaxation and how to generate and transpose energy without losing a single drop of it. If i remember well you "air play" and the strings just happen to be there.

next day start all over again(always start investigations with an open mind>>>> empty your glass every day in order to re-fill it with rechecked/approved/improved wisdom)>>>once you know the right movement for tone generating (guided by a natural energy flow) you might retune/refine your string tipping/finger lifting and pressure adding exercises. It's all connected so work on all levels over and over again and learn. Like i said you have to learn yourself to play the guitar again from scratch every single day again...until you know.

don't you just love it ;-)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2012 17:50:53

Florian

this is some great suggestions Erik.....just when i thought u couldn't possibly focus on more detail than i already planned u went in a few levels deeper.........this seems like it will take way longer than originally conceived...(and id like to give your plan a full try...hopefully il have the patience to not play anything that long lol...almost makes me feel i had a full time office job so i could do this sort of thing at my desk when i am not around the guitar anyway)... i cant empty my cup completely this week...wish i could but i dont think il have time cause got a big show this weekend and dancer and singers arrives here tomorrow...well have a rehearsals everyday...etc...

but i think next week after everyone goes... for sure i love the detail with which you speak , il come back to this and reread your comment and get in the right frame of mind to start over..

this is some brilliant stuff, thank you man...i just know your attention to detail and way of striping down...is gonna be brilliant for me

quote:

Apropos it would also be cool to see the performance of Chuscales, Ricardo and Jason.

me too

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2012 19:10:59

Erik van Goch

"If i remember well you air play and the strings just happen to be there".

Back then i haven't discovered the full potential of picado for 100% but i was able to sniff on it. Sometimes walking strings felt like walking the stairways, at other moments like walking your dog>>>a very enthusiastic dog just lined up for a walk. It tries to run ahead wile you dress for the occasion and being lined up (and fixed to one place) the slippery carpet makes it's running legs slip back to original position over and over again(like digging). Running strings sometimes felt like allowing that dog a little more room (going base to treble) or a little less room (going from treble to base). Somehow you can curve energy making your fingers want to jump strings as well (like a screw eating wood after adding the right energy). It was very difficult to now if the fingers were fallowing or leading string walk (or a combination of both)>>>when you walk the stairs part of the walking energy is used to lift your body simultaneously, i guess my fingers wanting to change strings worked like that. I think base>treble is like climbing the stairs wile handling an impatient dog and treble>base partly feels like line in your dog (but i still experienced a missing factor there) >>in both directions you have to tame the beast.

when i started studying like this i didn't start with picado but with left hand exercises and tremolo/arpeggio/pulgar. I'll tell you more about that later.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2012 20:01:38

Florian

quote:

got inspired

quote:

hey u know......everyone that knows me knows its not in my nature to complain or make a big deal about things or anything but u know...it took like 1 hour to make this (extracting audio from above video...finding right photos, converting to black and white, arranging to music, uploading...all for a stupid joke) noone even said anything... ...so here we go...one more time CRY ...wee gonna keep doing this until i get the satisfaction i need ...otherwise it would have made that effort stupid....and its not that !!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2012 20:45:24

Erik van Goch

Once you favor 1 perfect tone over 1 year of quality time with this beautiful lady you probably are in the right state of mind to find yourself some inner truth :-)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2012 21:01:36

Florian

RE: Some Inspiering Wisdom on Practice (in reply to Erik van Goch

quote:

Once you favor 1 perfect tone over 1 year of quality time with this beautiful lady you probably are in the right state of mind to find yourself some inner truth :-)

u mean that's all i have to give up for a year with this not bad but very self involved lady who takes herself so seriously that would use her modeling photos along side this classic song and makes it about something its totally not, bet she hasent even seen the movie...i found her video so funny without trying..... ...

sign me up...she would be a peach

EDIT..

ok dont get me wrong, id still spend a year with her ..

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2012 21:05:25

Erik van Goch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian

quote:

u mean that's all i have to give up for a year with this not bad but very self involved lady who takes herself so seriously that would use her modeling photos along side this classic song...i found her video so funny...its why i mimicked

sign me up...she would be a peach

I guess i have to upgrade the lady. Let's replace her for a suitcase containing $1.000.000,-

i would have favored that 1 perfect note over the money back than (how stupid can one be) :-)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2012 21:16:21

Florian

RE: Some Inspiering Wisdom on Practice (in reply to Erik van Goch

lol

yes that's pretty crazy ...no need to even thinking about it...il take the money first...she will probably follow...or someone that looks just like her (same model... different name, whatever) ...and well...now i dont have to worry about bills so i can focus on getting that perfect tone

this is almost like that puzzle where u got a wolf, a chicken and something else (cant remember details of the puzzle lol) and can only take one thing at the time across the river...who do you take who do you leave behind so they dont eat each-other...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2012 21:20:15

XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian
yes that's pretty crazy ...no need to even thinking about it...il take the money first...she will probably follow...or someone that looks just like her (same model... different name, whatever)

LoL

show some love - have one woman.
show some money - have all women.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 5 2012 8:36:17
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread