Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Hello! and a question...   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

vutenor

Hello! and a question... 

Hello all!

I am a beginner-intermediate guitar player who is just entering the flamenco world. I haven't played for years and am an elementary school teacher. I recently pulled out my old Yamaha steel string and started playing again. When I got online and started looking at youtube videos, I discovered flamenco!! I really want to learn. So I bought Graf-Martinez's book/CD/DVD vol. 1. Is this a good beginner text?

Also, I sold my Yamaha on ebay and bought a Cordoba 55FCE. I love the guitar...but all 3 low strings have some fret buzz...especially the low E...even after I jacked up the action pretty high. Is this something a guitar shop can fix with a good set up, or do I need to return the guitar? I don't want my low E to buzz every time I strum it hard.

Thanks!!
Todd.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 16:09:03

avimuno

RE: Hello! and a question... (in reply to vutenor

Hi Todd and welcome to the Foro!

Graf-Martinez's book is great... it will serve as a great introduction. But I would also take lessons with a good guitarist if I were you. The thing is that it is really easy to develop bad habits in terms of technique, hand positions etc... there are many subtleties in flamenco guitar playing that only a teacher can show you. A good teacher will therefore allow you get everything right from the beginning, so that your playing will develop at a faster rate.

I would also recommend you listen to as much flamenco as you can, without neglecting the old maestros (Nino Ricardo, Sabicas, Melchor de Marchena Manuel Morao...)... and don't listen to solo guitar only, cante is very very very important.
Watching a lot of videos on Youtube also helps... watch it all... guitarists, dancers and singers.

As for your guitar, I am not a luthier but your problem might be coming from the neck angle... have it looked around at your local guitar shop if they have a repair shop.

Saludos!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 17:46:10

Florian

RE: Hello! and a question... (in reply to avimuno

Hi Todd and welcome

quote:

Is this a good beginner text?
...i am not sure, cant remember that one, i am sure its fine...all tho there's places where hes allover compas in later issues...that kind of affects my judgment on him, i think that someone that puts out a instructional book should never ever be out of compas...but that aside...the guitarist in the book i do recommend is not any better...and for the basics and a good starting point any of them is fine...everything they say about technique is correct to my knowledge.

One of the best beginners book i have always recommended to my students who are starting from nothing, in the way its set up and it explains everything in a relative way and introduces techniques in a relative way i have always said is Juan Martins, the material is simple, basic...and the book is well thought out and set up..starts at the beginning and introduces everything slowly in a way that it makes sense..

many books leave many questions unanswered, have many unexplained gaps or dont have a good structure imo, Juans has a nice small introduction in every palo, technique, position photos , cd, ( i think u can also get a dvd this days)

somehow its always the lesser players that make the better beginner books

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 21:24:04

vutenor

Thanks for the replies. The Juan Martin book/CD/DVD was actually the next item in my amazon shopping cart!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 22:04:51

Florian

if it comes with a dvd get that, i am sure its way better then photos of the positions

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 3 2011 22:28:50

rogeliocan

I thing the Graf-Martinez stuff is good, I really like it, he goes through all the techniques, then some palos, and is books have other nice info too.

I think you will find that everyone will tend to like what they learned with. Once you go with a set of these you definitely don't do it again.

quote:

When I got online and started looking at youtube videos, I discovered flamenco!!

So what was your favorite video?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 0:02:00

Paul Magnussen

RE: Hello! and a question... (in reply to Florian

quote:

all tho there's places where [Graf-Martínez is] allover compas in later issues

Specifics, please?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 18:42:19

RTC

RE: Hello! and a question... (in reply to Florian

I agree with Florian, the more you study JM books and the progression of the lessons you realize how complete a teaching and learnig tool they can be.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 19:23:53

Haithamflamenco

another todd,

hahahaha,

welcome to the foro,

work hard and practice hard, live the flamenco discover it and enjoy it,

please let me know if you need any tiny winy think,

we all here to help,

oleee

Bahrain is my country and Andalucia is my dream
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2011 21:17:03