Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

words to live (practice) by   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Miguel de Maria

words to live (practice) by 

http://home.earthlink.net/~mlrobert/medtner/diary.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2005 17:03:16

duende

RE: words to live (practice) by (in reply to Miguel de Maria

This is good stuff. I should print them and put them in my practice room.
unfortunatly i tend to forget these "rules" while im playing

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2005 17:18:04

Thomas Whiteley

RE: words to live (practice) by (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Mike;

The piano was the first musical instrument I learned how to play. I still enjoy it too!

“17.Occasionally practice without using the pedal”. Essential rule when you play Bach – never use the pedal!

I like the part, “Throw out your metronome”. I have several metronomes and do not use them for any musical instrument or music that I play. I am becoming a collector!

My German piano teacher was mean! She taught technique incorrectly and physically punished you if you did not comply with her dictates! Teachers can be such fun!

Here is something related to flamenco guitar that I have asked others about. Piano in Russia was or perhaps still is taught in the following manner: For the first five years you learn only technique and do not play any pieces of music!

A friend of mine who started out with piano and went to Julliard Music School, got interested in flamenco guitar. After completing his piano studies he ended up touring the world with a flamenco company for several years. He went on to become a jazz pianist to earn his living. The two of us had many discussions about the Russian piano technique as it might be applied to flamenco. We even discussed this from a point of validity for guitarists who play other types of music and are interested in learning flamenco.

Our conclusion was, “First learn the techniques and then learn the music”! The first three months I studied flamenco guitar I was taught only technique and no music. I am so glad that my teacher put so much emphasis on approaching this topic as she did.

Before beginning my flamenco guitar studies I played classical guitar. Rey de la Torre and Andres Segovia were my teachers and I must say each had a different approach to the instrument!

It is nice to read the words of others on the subject of practice and I think you have to experience several approaches before you choose what works best for you.

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2005 17:49:23

Miguel de Maria

RE: words to live (practice) by (in reply to Thomas Whiteley

I have had problems with my m finger, so I haven't been able to practice guitar. So I've been turning my energies to studying theory and playing piano (which doesn't seem to affect the injury). I am having a great time! You learn so much about music playing the piano, things which just wouldn't occur to you on the guitar. I am going through my college theory textbook (the dry Walter Piston) and really learning this stuff now. It's fun!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2005 18:13:16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post