Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Martial arts flamenco!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

RE: Martial arts flamenco! (in reply to Sean

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sean

A lot of things are physically and scientifically possible but basing your mantra on the improbable is not a good idea. Here is Chuck talking about Bruce and hinting he would kick his butt because he was a professional fighter

I am actually insulted that you posted that vid without reading earlier in the thread. I challenge you a fight, full contact bring it on.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2011 8:36:29

Yojimbo

RE: Martial arts flamenco! (in reply to Ricardo

Neither Bruce nor Chuck could withstand a LLAP-GOCH master like me.

http://munkton.tripod.com/llapgoch/

The universe is indeed expanding - to get away from this planet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2011 13:58:15

Sean

I take offence to your offence, Flying Monkey Palms at 12 paces
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2011 15:05:22

Erik van Goch

As co founder of LLAP-GOCH i regret to see that this self acclaimed "master" of LLAP-GOCH called Yojimbo (obviously a Kurosawa fan) fails to honer the spirit behind it. That was the reason why we didn't want to reveal it's secrets in the first place. Unfortunately my former partner LLAP was unexpectedly captured by some devious snakes known as the spanish inquisition and they forced him to reveal our secrets during torture (using a comfy chair and a couple of soft cushions). LLap died as a result of these tortures and the little he revealed was published against our will. Fortunately he didn't reveal our secret "how to escape the spanish inquisition when captured" techniques because that would have been the end of the world as we know it.

As far as Chuck Norris is involved, according to Danny Inosanto he actually inspired Bruce Lee to try out some Norris kicks. We can still find traces of them in Bruce Lee's "Yeet Kune Do".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 15:17:48

Florian

RE: Martial arts flamenco! (in reply to Erik van Goch

quote:

Here is Chuck talking about Bruce and hinting he would kick his butt because he was a professional fighter

well..maybe he could...i am not saying he can or cant, i dont know... but he would know better...he didn't know Bruce lee from movies and narrated documentaries, or gossip other people told him or books, was actually friends with him and trained with the guy for 2 years, to him it was a real human being not a legend sensationalized by Hollywood and people who had an invested interest for him to sell tickets.....why exactly are we so convinced Chuck couldn't have possibly beat the guy ?

...Chuck Norris did actually win and beat a few good fighters to be Chuck Norris, didn't get in by the way of acting or looks, got in cause he could really fight...i know in the movies Bruce looked amazing and like the best fighter in the world ...but that was in the script and everyone was acting and waiting for him to hitt them...because he was the hero of the movie ....did Bruce ever enter any competitions ?

besides the movies, gossip and documentaries and books and the ideas we all grew up with, must be better then the white guy cause hes Chinese and hes so fast in the movies ...does anyone have any actual proof that Bruce Lee was as good as his roles ?...and i dont wanna hear, he said, she said...tv, radio and newspapers would say anything as long as you write it down for them

I dont imagine that when trying to promote "Way of the Dragon" and trying to sell movie tickets and advertise it...i dont imagine that " - we have the 8th best fighter in the world" would have done the same trick ....in fact if i had invested interest i might even go as far as plan a few media stunts and start a few roomers...lets think with our grown up brain not the little child who grew up believing the movies..

did he enter any real life competitions ?...one thing we know for sure is that Chuck did...and won em...so unless someone gives me some hard evidence i am gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he knows what hes saying...i go with facts ...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 15:26:56

Erik van Goch

Bruce was challenged all the time. As a kid he was a street fighter fighting every possible street gang. When he run into to much trouble his father send him to America There he became the very first kung fu teacher accepting outsiders as a student. That was not to the liking of the traditional teachers who challenged him. He was forced to fight (and defied) several of them in order to get their "approval". Later when he became famous he was challenged by several fighters attending his movies. He became very respected after his famous appearance at the martial arts festival in Long Beach. During a short but overwhelming demonstration he flabbergasted the world top with his 1 finger pushups and his 1 ich punch. He simply placed his fist 1 inch from your chest, focused his energy on it and BANG. It had the biggest puch power ever measured (calculated by weight) On long beach his 1 inch punch launched a multi-worldchampion of judo. He obtained several students that day.

And as far as his films are concerned they don't show us the real stuff at all. For film he adapted a complete different way of fighting than he would use in actual combat with much bigger movements and higher kicks. Still he had to slow down some of his actions because they were way to fast for the chinese camera's to catch them on film. Eventually they imported a special high speed camera from America that did a better job but even that one was no match for Bruce.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 15:33:15

Ricardo

quote:

He obtained several students that day.

After getting past the action star persona it becomes clear that Bruce Lee's long lasting legacy was teaching....of course macho ego wants to SEE a good fight but it's hard to deny the amount of respect he got from students over the years and for sure counts more than if he simply were known for beating up a few tough guys.

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 16:39:34

Florian

quote:

Bruce was challenged all the time. As a kid he was a street fighter fighting every possible street gang. When he run into to much trouble his father send him to America There he became the very first kung fu teacher accepting outsiders as a student. That was not to the liking of the traditional teachers who challenged him. He was forced to fight (and defied) several of them in order to get their "approval". Later when he became famous he was challenged by several fighters attending his movies. He became very respected after his famous appearance at the martial arts festival in Long Beach. During a short but overwhelming demonstration he flabbergasted the world top with his 1 finger pushups and his 1 ich punch. He simply placed his fist 1 inch from your chest, focused his energy on it and BANG. It had the biggest puch power ever measured (calculated by weight) On long beach his 1 inch punch launched a heavyweight multi-worldchampion of judo a couple of meters before he even realized he was hit. He obtained several students that day.

yes i know all this i too saw the movie and the documentary, everything of what u just said was said...can any of it be proven ? how do i know any of this stories are true and not just become true from many times of being repeated and regurgitated or a publicist wanting to sell him or an eager student to praise him ?

i can say i was a martial arts expert in romania too...if people hardly knew about martial arts when i got here...whos gonna know ?...and even get friends there to confirm it...how is any of it fact

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 16:59:08

Ricardo

RE: Martial arts flamenco! (in reply to Florian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Florian

quote:

Bruce was challenged all the time. As a kid he was a street fighter fighting every possible street gang. When he run into to much trouble his father send him to America There he became the very first kung fu teacher accepting outsiders as a student. That was not to the liking of the traditional teachers who challenged him. He was forced to fight (and defied) several of them in order to get their "approval". Later when he became famous he was challenged by several fighters attending his movies. He became very respected after his famous appearance at the martial arts festival in Long Beach. During a short but overwhelming demonstration he flabbergasted the world top with his 1 finger pushups and his 1 ich punch. He simply placed his fist 1 inch from your chest, focused his energy on it and BANG. It had the biggest puch power ever measured (calculated by weight) On long beach his 1 inch punch launched a heavyweight multi-worldchampion of judo a couple of meters before he even realized he was hit. He obtained several students that day.

yes i know all this i too saw the movie and the documentary, everything of what u just said was said...can any of it be proven ? how do i know any of this stories are true and not just become true from many times of being repeated and regurgitated or a publicist wanting to sell him or an eager student to praise him ?

i can say i was a martial arts expert in romania too...if people hardly knew about martial arts when i got here...whos gonna know ?...and even get friends there to confirm it...how is any of it fact

Black and white:

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 17:14:34

Florian

quote:

Black and white:

Ok i watched that, yes as Chuck said he was a great fighter, i already assume that, very fast , very athletic, i am sure he was a formidable fighter and even beat many along the way...but all i see is demonstrations and teaching...dosent prove he was the unbeatable legend we have all come to accept.....and it dosent prove Chuck who actually fought competitions and had to beat everyone in front of him couldn't beat him...i mean we all have always just assumed that he couldn't, including me...but that wasn't based on real life...it was on movies and publicity stunts......but after seeing that Chuck documentary ...i got to thinking...he knew the situation, he was there, knew more about the real man than any of us...no legend ......real life....what if hes right ? .....unless hes known for being a compulsive lier ...dosent it make sense to give him the benefit of doubt ?

i know that a normal person...when talking about someone that much more advanced and superior than him and superhuman ...its just impossible to talk that casually and not give him credit...maybe he knows more than us

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 17:23:52

Ricardo

quote:

quote:

Black and white:

Ok i watched that, yes as Chuck said he was a great fighter, i already assume that, very fast , very athletic, i am sure he was a formidable fighter and even beat a few along the way...but all i see is demonstrations and teaching...dosent prove he was the unbeatable legend we have all come to accept.....and it dosent prove Chuck who actually fought competitions and head to beat everyone in front of him couldn't beat him...i mean we all have always just assumed that he couldn't ...but that wasent based on real life...it was on movies and publicity stunts

THats like watching the video of Antonio Rey practice his scales and wonder if he can actually play any music.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 17:28:58

Florian

how about watching a guy with fast scales who isn't famous or Antonio Rey ...who cant actually play music or hasent done anything with it ?

not every guy with super fast scales went on to create the greatest music in the world

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 17:31:31

kudo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeet_Kune_Do

you have not seen and known enough about Lee , Mr.Florian.... trust me, he is real, its all real !

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 17:41:17

Florian

RE: Martial arts flamenco! (in reply to kudo

quote:

you have not seen and known enough about Lee , Mr.Florian

that's true buddy ...u got me...let me ask you thins...think Chuck Norris has seen and knows more of him than you ?

quote:

trust me, he is real, its all real !

its not a matter of that man...if you want me to trust you, sure ok, i trust you, i dont care...i am just a curious type of guy who likes to question and decide for himself with all the information given to him...same deal about believing in god...i dont necessarily believe something cause its on tv, or in a book or is accepted gospel or cause one party tells me

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 17:44:42

kudo

quote:

Chuck Norris has seen and knows more of him than you

im not saying i know more than chuck, but why do you trust HIS words?? how do you know he is not lying just to make himself look better and gain more publicity??
I dont think he would have dared to say that he can "beat up" Lee if Lee was alive !

this whole thing sounds like Paco de Lucia, Imagine 100 years from now, someone comes into question how good PDL was and if his stuff was real and if he really is the "god of flamenco" , when there might be very good players 100 years from now. thats exactly what you sound like Florian, questioning Bruce's life. he is the "god of japanese and chinese martial arts" with no doubt.

just keep doing more research and it would very much help when you actually study a chinese or japanse martial art from a REAL school not a business school

dont forget that bruce lee founded the Jeet Kune Do !

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 17:54:16

XXX

quote:

not every guy with super fast scales went on to create the greatest music in the world

Word. Any monkey can train himself to get fast scales. I certainly did not "wow" on that Antonio Rey video.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 17:59:15

Florian

quote:

his whole thing sounds like Paco de Lucia, Imagine 100 years from now, someone comes into question how good PDL was and if his stuff was real and if he really is the "god of flamenco" , when there might be very good players 100 years from now. thats exactly what you sound like Florian, questioning Bruce's life

well its slightly different man...theres videos of concerts and stuff of Paco playing live...to prove this...

theres only scripted movies of Bruce lee...its not the same at all

quote:

m not saying i know more than chuck, but why do you trust HIS words?? how do you know he is not lying just to make himself look better and gain more publicity??
I dont think he would have dared to say that he can "beat up" Lee if Lee was alive !

and that's a possibility too ....but again we are left with Chuck fought competitions and was champion...that's is real, its not a legend or gossip...

Again, i care about this less than you guys...i am just trying to make sense of the information given to me on this thread...and with the only thing i have learned so far in life (nothing is what it seems on tv)...if it makes you feel better for me to just agree ...pretend i have done it...if you wanna make me believe than give me something i can say...ok yes i see now

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 18:00:40

kudo

quote:

theres only scripted movies of Brucelee...its not the same at all

you have not seen everything , there are home videos of him training himself, many documentaries, and books that he wrote and books that people wrote on him, and Jeet Kuen Do which still exists today! it is a hybrid martial arts system and life philosophy that he founded . do you still need more??

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 18:05:19

Florian

quote:

do you still need more??

well unfortunately any of the things you mention can be manipulated...depends, whos, directing, writing or telling the story..

but no i dont need more...i believe you

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 18:09:02

kudo

quote:

Chuck fought competitions and was champion...that's is real

sorry man, you missed the whole point, martial arts is not about competitions and being a champion! its about all the stuff that Bruce Lee taught and ofcourse he was not in competitions.... I never was and never will be! not because Bruce could not or I could not physically, its about the concept!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 18:09:57

Florian

quote:

sorry man, you missed the whole point, martial arts is not about competitions and being a champion! its about all the stuff that Bruce Lee taught and ofcourse he was not in competitions.... I never was and never will be!

well man, i might have missed the point...i never did martial arts

but i am being sold Bruce lee as the greatest fighter in the world...and then told he never fought competition....ok...pretend ive just come from the moon and haven't seen any of the movies, or grown up accepting he was the greatest....how am i sopossed to not ask...how do you know that ?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 18:13:21

kudo

martial arts is a way of life and AN ART! just like flamenco !
its not about money, competitions and shows. I hope you understand now..

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 18:18:01

Florian

quote:

martial arts is a way of life and AN ART! just like flamenco !
its not about money, competitions and shows. I hope you understand now..

I know people always say that its not about hurting people...but it kind of is...why not smell flowers instead ...or sing songs ...everyone that's learning and practicing to hurt someone is always so peaceful in movies, and its never about the fighting, its always about something grander .....i dont know if anyone ever took up martial arts cause they wanted to smell flowers

I mean you're not practicing on how to give flowers and hug people...you're practicing twisting arms and throwing fists and kicks...your not sitting on your arse all day practicing mediation or trying to become enlightened

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 18:20:47

Estevan

quote:

you're practicing twisting arms and throwing fists and kicks

...so that you don't have to. Same way that you practise playing picado faster and louder than Paco, so that you can - like a true master - choose not to do it in public.

How's your interview material coming along?

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 18:29:18

Florian

RE: Martial arts flamenco! (in reply to Estevan

quote:

so that you don't have to

unless i accidentally piss one off, or think i am having a mano a mano fight with a normal guy over a girl ...and then i am the landing target of years of practice to hurt someone

cause you not gonna know martial arts and not use it in a fight

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 18:31:07

Erik van Goch

Don't forget he changed the face of martial arts movies for ever. Just like Bobby Fisher did with chess he inspired millions worldwide to study kung fu, whatever the hell that was (numerous martial art schools popped up to explore this new market). Also he was the very first chinese to star in an american film as a hero (and not as a fool).

How many people do you think would know the term "kung fu" without Bruce Lee? Anyone who says kung fu says Bruce Lee and the other way around. A very respected dutch grandmaster (holder of the highest ranks in numerous martial art forms) wroth an excellent book about the history of martial arts. But his chapter about kung fu was extremely appalling. According to him "kung fu" had nothing to do with martial arts and had no history other than being the title of a silly american tv serie.

Actually, that silly american series kung fu was written by bruce lee and for long he was supposed to do the main role as well. But at the end the studio decided that time was not ready for Amarican public to accept an asian in a leading role (they were only allowed to play insignificant people). So they selected David Carradine in stead who was supposed to resemble a chinese (just like the negro and indian who were first played by white americans. Later they were allowed to do minor roles themselves but the indian chief always remained a white actor)

That was the world bruce had to face. Probably as compensation he was offered a role as Kato in the green horned (risky but being masked and a servant probably just acceptable for amarican public). The show was screened but failed in America. Disappointed he returned to china. As it turned out the green horned was screened in asia as the cato show and had made him a huge star. He was offered a small role in a film but after the first shots they decided to re-write the hole movie and offered him a much bigger role. It became a huge success and soon a second one fallowed. His aim was to fight his way back to america as a mayor star in order to show the world chinese were no second rate people. That became one of his personal fights, to get writ of discrimination of any kind. He turned out to become the ultimate ambassador and in many ways the very first chinese/american co production "enter the dragon" became the most successful movie of it's time. When he died he was the biggest filmstar of his time (being loved in both asia and the west he had more fans than anyone before and since).

His influence on martial arts Movies and the emancipation of chinese in the west is as big as Paco de Lucia's contribution to flamenco. Jacky Chan was actually hired to represent the other major film company in their battle to regain martial arts public. Each and every martial arts film since is tributary to Bruce Lee (except for the samurai movies). And the major kung fu stars all have the highest regards for Bruce. Many of them consider him to be the greatest ever, both on film and in real live. So do i.

Of course there is no way telling were truth ends and legend begins, but his deeds speak for it's own and everybody who met him was impressed by his skills and his endless energy (in fact some of the biggest skeptics turned out to become his greatest fans once they met him in person).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 18:32:00

kudo

quote:

its not about hurting people...but it kind of is...why not smell flowers instead ...or sing songs ...everyone that's learning and practicing to hurt someone is always so peaceful in movies.....i dont know if anyone ever took up martial arts cause they wanted to smell flowers

its about protecting yourself and your loved ones in life or death or dangerous situations..UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE dead or badly harmed . you just pray and hope for the day that you never ever be in those situations! most people will not be in those situations, and most practicioners know that ! so why do they do it? for body/physical/mental conditioning, for the love of the art and othe reasons.

I suggest you to read the history of martial arts and how all of them started.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 18:32:38

Florian

quote:

ts about protecting yourself and your loved ones in life or death or dangerous situations..UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE dead or badly harmed

cmon...isn't that the same argument for owning guns ?..if everyone who owns a gun for defending...what planet are the ones that are using it for attacking ?
everyone is defending...theres just a big bad wolf waiting to get us all ...cause we are all innocent defenders

i dont know martial arts and i am still alive...even been into a few punch ups

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 18:35:46

kudo

did you read what i said Florian?
"most people will not be in those situations, and most practicioners know that ! so why do they do it? for body/physical/mental conditioning, for the love of the art and othe reasons. "

the people who are most likely to be in those situations would be the police, obviously, and thats why they learn martial arts, to protect themselves and society when they can not use thier guns/weapons. do you understand now?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 18:38:49

Florian

quote:

do you understand now?

alright I am sorry i antagonized you enough...this is obviously important to you...apologies, a little insensitive of me

quote:

Of course there is no way telling were truth ends and legend begins, but his deeds speak for it's own and everybody who met him was impressed by his skills and his endless energy (in fact some of the biggest skeptics turned out to become his greatest fans once they met him in person.

ok i accept that, thanks

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2012 18:41:40
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote