Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Garrotin   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Garrotin 

Looking for a general research on this Palo.
Figure i should learn to play and write one...as i like the few examples i've heard.
has a 'south american' feel to my ears.
Understanding it's in 4.
Not a common Dance.
Is it played much by guitarists in flamenco?
Probably like many been fairly glued to Saura's new movie.
So will post that as an example.
But if anyone has insight into Harmonic Structure, Key, rhythm, identifying phrases or Letra's etc would be appreciated.

from the example below i hear D maj tonality
starting with Dmixolydian harmony
then
these chords Dmaj6/9...F#m7...Fdim...Em7...Asus...Gmaj7 #11...A7b9...Eb/D among many others...Phrygian and non Phrygian cadences...suspensions..Reminds me of Guarija's in some ways.
Is this a standard key and how is this example different from earlier ones in history?

Be good to see some other videos of this form.
Thanks.
http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=7084&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=garrotin&tmode=&smode=&s=#7084
http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=93972&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=garrotin&tmode=&smode=&s=#94161

also found this one...g major
similiar movements iii - vi - ii - v - i passing diminished chords with a Phrygian interlude....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2011 8:17:12

Paul Magnussen

RE: Garrotin (in reply to Guest

"Until recently considered folklore, the garrotín is slowly but surely being accepted into flamenco circles, as are the sevillanas, milongas, tanguillos, campanilleros, and the vito.

There are two schools of thought concerning the origin of the garrotín. One states that it has taken the same road as the farruca; that is, from Asturias to flamenco via the port of Cádiz. The other school, led by Vicente Escudero, insists that the garrotín is a creation of the Gypsies of Lérida, in Northern Spain. The latter school, I believe, is most likely to be on the right track."

(Donn Pohren, The Art of Flamenco)

The garrotín was popularised by Carmen Amaya and Sabicas (together). Apparently it used to be played in A, but Sabas played it in C, which is now the usual. They recorded it on Flamenco!

Sabas also recorded it many times a soloist, often beautifully double-tracked: for example, on Flamenco Reflections.

If you want an example written out, there’s one in Paco Peña’s Toques Flamencos.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2011 15:38:10

Donald

Re Rocio molina video. Has the fag relaced the hat in the dance? Almost looks like she's doing a farruca to it with the trousers and zapatadeo. I would think the Rafael Riqueni version is more typical of the palo but I leave it to the experts.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2011 19:14:31

RE: Garrotin (in reply to Paul Magnussen

thanks paul..very helpful...gives me alot more to look into
Donald...yeah the cigarette kind of threw me way before she threw it.
guess i'm just trying to get a handle on the structure and identifying form...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2011 0:46:42

Richard Jernigan

Here is a traditional garrotin by Pepe Martinez, a student of Ramon Montoya, posted on the "Audio & Video Uploads" part of the Foro:

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=181455&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

It is pretty different from the Amaya/Sabicas bit, which I think is more like their own take on the palo. I'm not sure I would have recognized that as garrotin right off the bat. Garrotin por buleria? Or just plain bulerias?

I think something like the Pepe Martinez is what both Requeni's version and the Rocio Molina performance are based on. It's pretty simple, and the Paco Peña version in the book "Toques Flamencos" is similar.

And here is the encyclopedic Rafael Romero "El Gallina" with the cante, also traditional in form:

For those few lurkers who may not be familiar with Gypsy nicknames, "Ell Gallina" is neither a contradiction in gender nor a slur on Romero's manhood. His mother's nickname was "La Gallina [the Hen]". "El Gallina" is short for "El Niño de La Gallina".

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2011 3:46:01

RE: Garrotin (in reply to Richard Jernigan

thanks Richard.
very helpful...more to think about!
A

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 31 2011 22:41:18

Donald

Thanks for posting these other videos. On looking round youtube I was finding it universally done to the cante of "pregunte a mi sombrero", everybody including Chano Lobato, Esmerelda Marche, Ana Maria Blanco were all doing it.

My information on the palo is that it is in a major key, in common time and not pure flamenco.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 5 2011 19:41:08

krichards

I believe the dance often finishes with a rumba?
Is that a normal way to end the dance?
And I've even heard of it finishing with a Tangos.

Can any dancers or accompanists confirm this please? Sounds feasible to me since both rumba and tangos are in four time.
Anyone know for sure?

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 7 2011 9:20:17

RE: Garrotin (in reply to krichards

quote:

the dance often finishes

thanks for the input...
any examples of this?
cheers
A

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 8 2011 4:02:43