Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Guitar wall hanger   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

VietFlamenco

Guitar wall hanger 

I'm planning on ordering a few guitar wall mounts for my room. Problem is all my guitars have pegs. Anyone have experience with these hangers and can give insight on whether they will fit with peghead guitars. The majority of these wall mounts seem to be designed with only machine turners in mind. I think the pegs may not fit due to the pegs being caught in the back brace.

http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-GSP38WB-Guitar-Hanger-Wood/dp/B0009K9MUA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307227984&sr=8-3
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2011 23:00:30

BarkellWH

RE: Guitar wall hanger (in reply to VietFlamenco

Why do you want to keep your guitars on wall mounts, VietFlamenco? I don't know what your guitars are, but I think only cheap guitars should be kept on wall mounts for decorative purposes. If your guitars are nice ones, they should be kept in cases when not being played. By keeping good guitars in cases, one protects them from various bumps and accidents that can damage them, and it is easier to keep them humidified as well.

You may have good reasons for wanting to mount your guitars on the wall, but I would give it careful thought before doing so.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2011 23:29:11

VietFlamenco

RE: Guitar wall hanger (in reply to BarkellWH

Bill, i do keep my nice guitars in a case at all times. The wall mounts are for my beater/practice guitars. I use wall mounts to save space as well as ease of access.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 4 2011 23:32:20

GuitarVlog

VF, I don't have a peghead guitar but I use those Hercules units for all of my guitars. Assuming that the pegs don't extend much farther than the buttons of a guitar that uses machine tuners, I can't see how they would create any problems.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2011 5:15:52

GuitarVlog

Una mas.

Attachment (1)

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2011 5:17:38

VietFlamenco

RE: Guitar wall hanger (in reply to GuitarVlog

Thanks GV!

Those photos are really helpful. I couldn't get a clear picture based on the seller's website. Looks like it will fit perfectly fine with pegs.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2011 5:47:40

krichards

RE: Guitar wall hanger (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

If your guitars are nice ones, they should be kept in cases when not being played

I think exactly the opposite!
I have my own No 22 (blanca) and No 24 (negra) and an Amalio Burguet blanca on floor stands and can just pick one up and play, anytime.
I can't understand why you would want to keep beautiful artefacts shut away in cases.

Of course, there is no humidity problem here in the UK.

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2011 7:37:06

Graham_B

quote:

I have my own No 22 (blanca) and 24 (negra)

No15 (blanca) and No20 (negra) also live out of their cases.

Humidity is not a problem, a labrador's wagging tail is
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2011 8:51:37

Ruphus

RE: Guitar wall hanger (in reply to krichards

quote:

ORIGINAL: krichards

quote:

If your guitars are nice ones, they should be kept in cases when not being played

I think exactly the opposite!
I have my own No 22 (blanca) and No 24 (negra) and an Amalio Burguet blanca on floor stands and can just pick one up and play, anytime.
I can't understand why you would want to keep beautiful artefacts shut away in cases.

Of course, there is no humidity problem here in the UK.

Humidity and wind.
I remember a guitar hanging at the wall in Germany in a pretty humid place.
The wind between not so tight windows and the rooms door caused a crack through the entitre length of the top.

I think Bill is right. If at all, I would only hang unusable guitars as deco on walls.

- Like the one I got in the basement, once intended as eye catcher for the outside wall of a planned recording studio.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2011 12:46:11

Pimientito

RE: Guitar wall hanger (in reply to Graham_B

quote:

Humidity is not a problem, a labrador's wagging tail is

I made my own wall hangers. They are very cheap and practical. I designed them to hang guitars in a shop and didnt want any risk of them being dislodged from the wall by passing customers. At the same time they had to be easy to remove and play.
The shape of the arms of the holder allows the guitar to be held away from the wall by the machines. The guitar cannot drop from the holder. In order to remove the guitar you have to physically lift it out of the holder above the raised prominences at the front. The guitar cannot accidentally be knocked out of the holder. It is held very securely and gently.

You need to cut 3 pieces of wood, pine is good but plywood will do. These pieces were 18 mm thick. First cut a square plate roughly 17 cm square to fix to the wall. The two arm shapes are cut and screwed onto the plate from behind. The screws need to be long enough to prevent any lateral movement of the arms. The distance from the front of the guitar to the wall needs to be at least 14 cm so that the guitar does not risk contacting the wall.

Attachment (1)

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2011 13:09:09

Pimientito

RE: Guitar wall hanger (in reply to Pimientito

As a final safety measure I cut an oblong of foam sheet a little larger than the size of the guitar body, covered in in velvet material and screwed to wall. Even if the guitar were to get nudged into the wall (which was unlikely) it would only touch the foam and couldnt get damaged.....plus it made the guitar look more expensive!!

Attachment (1)

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2011 13:14:46

Pimientito

Here it is from the front. As you can see the hanger really doesnt have any physical contact with the guitar except by the machines. In the case of a peg guitar, the support would come from either side of the headstock. The arms need to be made long enough to accomadate the pegs.

The gap betwwen the 2 arms is 70 mm. As the guitar rests in the holder there is a little movement of the arms to accomadate the guitar

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2011 13:25:09

GuitarVlog

quote:

Thanks GV!

Those photos are really helpful. I couldn't get a clear picture based on the seller's website. Looks like it will fit perfectly fine with pegs.

No problem, VF!

Model GSP38WB as shown in the earlier photos fits my classicals and flamencas just fine but Hercules has a model specifically designed for wider necks that also has a front-locking system: Model GSP29WB.

I have two of the older original design that I got on closeout for $10 each shipped. This was model GSP28WB.

Model GSP28WB test-fit my guitars fine as well but I haven't installed these on the walls. I got them just in case ... magic happens and I happen to get a couple more guitars.

These locking hangers are important for the likes of you and me. We live in earthquake country.

I have the dual locking stand as well. This is the only dual guitar stand that I have found to be VERY stable even if you have only one guitar on it. The other cheap ones that I tested had a tendency to tip over with only one guitar. I got it at a super-sale price when Sam Ash remodeled their online store and sent me a big coupon.

I have no pets or little kids so stands are also okay in my house.

EDIT: I'm assuming you know all that's required to secure those hangers to drywall if that's what you have in your house.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2011 3:30:54

GuitarVlog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pimientito

.....plus it made the guitar look more expensive!!

It's like framing the guitar!

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2011 3:53:34

at_leo_87

i've seen pimientito's guitar hangers in real life and they do indeed look very, very nice.

i used to do a similar thing. but just used a normal hook/hanger you can get from any hardware store, and made a braid that looped around the tuning keys and hung it using that. i also had a section of carpet on the wall.

it's the cheaper lazier version of pimientito's thing.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2011 3:57:40
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post