Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

looking for a new guitar   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

aaa

looking for a new guitar 

Hello. I signed up on this forum hoping to receive some great advice on getting a guitar made by a reputable luthier. I have narrowed down my choices to either andy culpepper or salvador castillo. Now without creating any controversy, Which of the two would anyone recommend? Does anyone here have experience with both luthiers' guitars? which projects louder? I really can't get a grasp on the overall projection/tone on andy's guitars through his videos but on salvador's videos, it's much easier to get an idea. Are andy's guitars loud? I am leaning more towards andy's guitars because it feels like the safer bet (no return policy on castillos). Again, I think both luthiers' guitars look and sound amazing, but I'm asking anyone that's had real life experiences with both their guitars for any feedback/preferences. Please be objective and once again, this is not meant to offend anyone or start controversy. Thank you!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2011 23:20:06

cRobson12

RE: looking for a new guitar (in reply to aaa

I would go with Andy's. In my opinion, from the recordings I have heard I like the old school sound that Andy's guitar has compared to Castillo guitars. Also I heard Castillo prices got boosted so thats even more of a reason to go with Andy's.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2011 2:17:01

erictjie

i already own SC blanca in mexican cypress , soon a brazilian negra then a classical . does not it tell you anything?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2011 5:06:49

aaa

I appreciate the feedback guys but my question is are Andy's guitars loud like the Castillos? I LOVE the boom and fullness of the Castillos but I don't know if those were purposely handpicked by Castillo for the videos. From the videos, those guitars seem like they have this explosive raw energy but many things might factor into his tone/projection for those videos like the acoustics of the room, recording equipment/positioning, etc. It's hard to gauge Andy's guitars' true sound relative to the room because the recordings are fuzzy (the ones w/out the mics). However, Andy's tone seems top notch and it seems like a very safe purchase given his return policy. Also, I have heard some stories of Salvador Castillo at times making some duds. Is this true? Because I once purchased a Francisco Navarro student guitar that was HORRIBLE despite the positive feedback in many forums (my Yamaha cg171sf sounded/played MUCH better than the FN). Sorry for the rambling but I want people to understand where I'm coming from. And again, I hope I don't offend anyone by sharing my experiences/opinions.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2011 5:57:19

rogeliocan

quote:

However, Andy's tone seems top notch and it seems like a very safe purchase given his return policy. Also, I have heard some stories of Salvador Castillo at times making some duds. Is this true? Because I once purchased a Francisco Navarro student guitar that was HORRIBLE despite the positive feedback in many forums

With that said, you know that there is risk in buying a guitar you have not played, and as far as I know, regardless of who made it. And this has nothing to do with it being a dud, but as simple has not having the sound you are looking for, individual tastes vary.
Normally eliminating this risk has a cost, traveling to try the guitar or return shipping fees and insurance if you don't like it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2011 10:19:17

sig

Hey aaa,
I own a Culpepper Blanca and its great. Andy was fantastic and if I didn't like it I could return it. I can't speak to a Castillo but I've heard good things however it really comes down to what you like, not what anybody else thinks or says. To me, purchasing a guitar is a very personal decision, it may sound and feel good to me, but to you, not so much. I had the opportunity to play an Ander's Blanca and my Culpepper is very similar, loud, percussive, light and well balanced. My instrument has a Western Red Cedar top, with Canadian Cypress B&S.

Overall, I love the sound and feel of my Culpepper but watching a vid isn't going to help much in the decision making process because there are too many variables. The best thing would be the ability to play each side by side however that just isn't usually possible. Someone said that you could travel to play each instrument and that's a good idea but may not be practical and again, the downside is you wouldn't be able to play and evaluate each on its own merit.

I can highly recommend the Culpepper and from my own experience, it works well for dance accompanyment and has a nice bold sound. It really is a great instrument however you will know best what works for you...
Sig--
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2011 14:36:04

Don Dionisio

Sig,
One of my students is having a guitar made by Andy. I can't wait to see it.
I have watched quite a few of Andy's videos and for me because I like his
style of playing (very similar to mine) and the sound of his guitars and reasonable prices, we decided to order one without ever seeing or playing one in person.
My student is having almost daily email exchanges, viewing the 'creation' of
his instrument. For me, there is nothing like developing a relationship with
a luthier(s)-it is a friendship that you will keep.
I'm glad your guitar has been satisfying.
Dennis
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2011 16:24:57

GuitarVlog

RE: looking for a new guitar (in reply to erictjie

quote:

ORIGINAL: erictjie
i already own SC blanca in mexican cypress , soon a brazilian negra then a classical . does not it tell you anything?

Hola Mrs. Castillo! How's you're son, Salvador?

Seriously, they are good guitars.

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2011 21:22:22

VietFlamenco

RE: looking for a new guitar (in reply to GuitarVlog

Castillo guitars are great, but please don't over hype. At his new prices, i'm not sure they are a great value. The main reason I say this is because if you inspect his guitar closely, you will notice the french polish is not truely french polish. There is a very light coat. Depending on your budget and location, here is what i would recommend.

$200-400: Get a yamaha
$500-$1500: Try Montalvo guitars at Berkeley Music Exchange
$1000-$2200 budget: Fracisco Navarro Concert level and above
$1800-2400 up: Castillo blanca (new prices not worth it, get it used if you can)
If you live in US East Coast: Try Andy Culpepper
If you live in US West Coast: Steven Faulk
Live in Europe?: Anders

Feel free to disagree. I love my Castillo blanca, but as soon as i have the money, it's going to be a Culpepper negra or Steven Faulk blanca.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2011 23:25:57

Ramon Amira

You should check out Peter Tsiorba's flamenco guitars.

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2011 0:51:26

erictjie

RE: looking for a new guitar (in reply to Ramon Amira

very powerful
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2011 0:55:21

beno

Hey Viet,

I feel free to disagree

quote:

I love my Castillo blanca, but as soon as i have the money, it's going to be...

for me THAT doesn't seem like You love your blanca....anyway I haven't tried any guitars from Andy, but they look great and sound great as one could give an opinion based on youtube videos. I really think He's on his best way to became a sought after luthier very soon.

I don't know if You got a weaker guitar by Salvador, but as for mine, I'd not call that hype.
I've tried several great guitars including big names also, but even Salvador's raised prices are way below from their prices.
I've just tried a used Conde blanca for 5500 Euro... In no perspective could it even get close to my Castillo. Same for Contreras, Sanchis or Romero guitars I've tried so far.
Or just take a Ramirez FL2 ('cause it's about the same price), which is quite a good guitar, though vary a lot in quality....I've tried 3 already, all very different. COMPARE PRICE/QUALITY!

And after all, I really think that Salvador's guitars are not just good considering their lower price. They're among the very bests no matter at what price.

quote:

if you inspect his guitar closely, you will notice the french polish is not truely french polish

what do You mean by that? I've inspected mine closely several times, but couldn't get what You say?! Would You clarify that please?

I know that this is not a competition: everybody has different taste and so on... I simply think what You wrote is far from being true in my opinion, and I've felt free to disagree
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2011 11:19:03

erictjie

paco de lucia , vincente amigo and juan serrano acknowledge his (SC)guitar.Paco said his guitar is the best in Mexico, of course he would not say comparable to the best in spain where he comes from. It shows that his guitar is in diff class, but the price does not reflex that cause he is from mexico not spain.Iam gald to find a jewel in the crowd.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2011 12:37:57

VietFlamenco

RE: looking for a new guitar (in reply to erictjie

Don't get me wrong guys, I like Salvador's guitars, but to say they are the best at any price range is an overstatement. To give you an idea, i'm basing my opinion on his Euro Spruce/Mex Cypress blanca.

When the blanca arrived, I was really happy with the feel and playability of the instrument. The guitar was very loud and percussive. However, that's where it ends. We all like a little buzz in the guitar, but I feel mine was excessively buzzy starting at the G string all the way to the high E. I am no expert, but I don't think open string buzz is a good thing. This however, made it perfect if all you're doing is playing rasgueados.

I took the guitar to have it looked at by a local luthier. He agrees that it's a very well built instrument, but it seems like a rush job. First, the luthier suggested that the french polish was not 100% french polish and may have been sprayed on and quickly rubbed in. The coating was extremely light. I guess this helps the guitar breaths and produce that volume. Secondly, Salvador leaves the fret crown on the guitar very high. If I run my hand along the side of the fret board I can also feel the frets slightly sticking out. Lastly, I noticed the pegs holes that he drilled were not completely round. There was some chipping at the end of the hole as if he didn't have the right tools for the job. When I adjusted the pegs, I have to really push the peg in or it just pops out to a secondary level. This is hard to explain to people without them actually trying to turn the pegs. With that said, I still would probably never sell this guitar because for the price I paid, it's worth every penny.

I tried comparing my Castillo to my brother's Kenny Hill Signature Series blanca and my flamenco teacher's Lester Devoe. The Castillo sounds really coarse and harsh when compared to top end instruments. The sound coming from the Devoe is incredible. It is louder than the Castillo, but the sound was really profound and warmer to my ears. The Kenny Hill was just as good, but it has a more lyrical sound. Something Vincente would want. Strangely, I didn't like the Kenny Hill as much b/c it wasn't buzzy enough for me. The Devoe and Kenny Hill starting prices were $7000, out of the price range for most of us. This makes luthiers like Anders, Stephen Faulk, & Andy Culpepper bargain buys.

We all have different taste in sound, so if you like your guitar, that is all that should matter. I don't let paco, vincente, or juan influence my judgement because I have ears of my own. After all, didn't Paco endorse Andalusian guitars?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2011 14:58:29

sig

RE: looking for a new guitar (in reply to Don Dionisio

Dennis,
I bought my instrument already competed however if I buy another from Andy, I think it will be a Negra and I'm going to have him create it for me. I get lots of compliments on the sound and heck, what guitarist could use the compliments!
Sig--
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2011 16:09:16

beno

quote:

I don't let paco, vincente, or juan influence my judgement because I have ears of my own

Me either. I don't choose guitars upon names. However I think we have different Castillos. Mine is spanish cypress, though I don't think it's THAT what makes the difference. Mine is buzzy but just the right amount: no open string buzz, or any 'disturbing buzz'.

quote:

Salvador leaves the fret crown on the guitar very high. If I run my hand along the side of the fret board I can also feel the frets slightly sticking out

what about the humidity where You play the guitar?
The frets were perfect on arrival, then at winter I experienced the same.
Now, as the humidity rises (it's between 40-50 %) the frets go back to their place (altough this humidity is still under Mexico's I suppose) - This is a quite common thing as far as I know..

Well, as we both said: tastes are different. I didn't had the opportunity to try a Devoe, but those sound very classical to me on videos. And I've read someone selling his Devoe because it lacked power/projection....

It's just the same as with these threads: You have to try the guitars in person otherwise the whole thing is just a speculation...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2011 19:03:39

Ramon Amira

You would be better off to not restrict yourself to just two builders. In addition to Peter Tsiorba, there are plenty of great luthiers out there making new flamenco guitars, and you might find a great used one also by one of them.

You might want to think about a Glenn Canin. Jason McGuire has several videos playing a Glenn Canin guitar. Here's just one -

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2011 2:53:55

aaa

RE: looking for a new guitar (in reply to Ramon Amira

prominent critic, I'm afraid not all of us have "$6000" dollars to spend on a guitar. If I did I would consider more options but the tones from the sc and ac guitars sound great anyways, even compared to "$6000" guitars.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2011 5:29:44

Ramon Amira

Yes, that's a good point, at least with respect to Glenn Canin. But Peter Tsiorba's guitars are in your price range, and I think they are the best in that price range.

www.tsiorba.com

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2011 15:12:54

Ramon Amira

You should also look into getting a flamenco guitar from Jeff Sigurdson. Jeff's guitars have been getting rave reviews from everyone who owns one, plays one, or hears one.

I have discussed construction with Jeff, and he is very knowledgeable. Also, his prices are well within your price range.

http://www.sigurdsonguitars.com/

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2011 14:48:00
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message