Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Need creative ideas of using 2 singers togheder that sing on different frets   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Florian

Need creative ideas of using 2 singe... 

...I have 2 singers for my show, 1 guitar...and in atleast buleria id like to have them both sing togheder ( problem is the guy sings bulerias in medio on fret 1 and the woman on 4) ....theres must be some way of doing it...i figured id put it out here...i have a couple of ideas myself ...

one i do the whole thing palo seco...or start palo seco for one of them and just after come in at the end with just one of them, one fret and finish it that way...but even if its in palo seco would 2 singers singing in 2 different tones sound wrong or weird ?

and second idea...thinking of also getting a violin player....maybe in between singers get her to do a falseta that starts in the first key and takes it and ends in the second...giving me a quick second to change frets...would that sound bad ?

any other ways of doing it ?

i must admit the idea of playing a whole half of bulerias for cante and dance with a bar dosent sound all that appealing to me, sounds limiting...i dont like the idea of using all my energy and attention on playing with a bar rather then using all my attention and energy on the dance and cante and dynamics

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 0:33:08

Florian

RE: Need creative ideas of using 2 s... (in reply to Florian

just thought of a 3rd way.....after the first singer i do a falseta that takes it from one tone to the other let the violin take over in that key for a sec while i change fret...

if anyone has some other nice ideas or can find some nice audio examples of it beeing done so it feels naturally without distracting the bulerias please share...even if in the end the best thing to do is to play with a bar..

since we have always had 1 singer in one fret per palo before this is not something i have ever had to think about...however it might be nice and worth doing ...id like to try

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 0:45:22

El Kiko

quote:

ust thought of a 3rd way.....after the first singer i do a falseta that takes it from one tone to the other let the violin take over in that key for a sec while i change fret...

that is a way ......but it also depends upon the arrangement of the music...what happens before , after, and during the change...

it also depends on the flexibility of the singers...it would be best to avoid harmonisation for the singers in a Bulerias...as you know.......
but as you probably know .it all depends on how you can all fit together ....so some "experimentation" may help if you have the time ...........

it kind of reminds me ( somehow ) of fitting saxaphones together...as I am ( was jazz musician ) and am used to writing for transposing instruments...like Eg..
Alto sax in Eb (up a major 6th) ...tenor sax ( up a major ninth ) both very common ....like a boy and a girl ..............
however I have the luxury of the rich harmony between , and this is something that i think you cannot afford in the Flamenco genre....so unison .........or am I missing some info here........??

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 2:01:17

Florian

RE: Need creative ideas of using 2 s... (in reply to El Kiko

thank you for you replie amigo

quote:

so some "experimentation" may help if you have the time

yes ofcourse we wil do some of that but trying to be efficient and have some kind of plan before, since il suggest it ...they are all going to be looking to me to be the man with the plan ...i will have 2 days of rehearsals before show to learn 5 new choreography's of 3 dancers i dont usually work with...plus this singer from another city i dont usually work with letras...i like making things really really difficult for myself ..its a tad ambitious but if it works it should be great

i did shows with all this people before separately...3 of them from another city...but this will be all new stuff, new show

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 2:53:33

El Kiko

you will have to use your ears and your intuition to help you make your decisions as it goes........(thats not great advice is it ?) but do be decisive ...if you have an idea, try it out, Im sure they will all help it fit together..

And ...are we going to see a video clip of this event ??

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 11:03:54

Kevin James Shanahan

I have no advice for you , other than this could be a fine opportunity to compose something , since it is april.

Peace.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 11:23:31

Ron.M

Hi Flo,

I've seen Bulerias done in 2 or more keys, but there's always been 2 guitarists.

Another way would be to have a solo dance break with just cajon and palmas and then the 2nd singer comes in on the new key.

If the high singer went first, then you could maybe have 2 Dunlop capos on 1 and 4 and just whip the high one off for a quick change?

As for singing in 2 keys, this FdH has a pretty weird key change and still sounds OK..

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=77398&appid=&p=&mpage=1
It's about the 9th post down the page.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 11:25:13

xirdneH_imiJ

you could do 3 things i think:
1 - change key from A to C like Nino Josele does it in Nuevos Hombres y Mujeres during Duquende's letra
2 - change from A to C# which can be weird, like they did on a video where Chonchi Heredia and Montse Cortés were singing together, one of the guitarists was Diego del Morao
3 - let the girl start, then you change from A to E

of course, only the first option equals the 3 half tone difference but i'm sure half a tone is not too much for at least one of the singers...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 11:31:41

Florian

RE: Need creative ideas of using 2 s... (in reply to xirdneH_imiJ

thank you guys very much some very good and creative ideas

quote:

change key from A to C like Nino Josele does it in Nuevos Hombres y Mujeres during Duquende's letra

i dont have that one...any chance you can share it ? just the letra before and the duquendes letra ?

quote:

If the high singer went first, then you could maybe have 2 Dunlop capos on 1 and 4 and just whip the high one off for a quick change?

that's so simple is brilliant !! does everything i need, without needing to change much
...even when i take the capo off i can still play a little with a bar to bring it to a more natural gradual change to 2nd...brilliant !! or just a simple slide from the violin on the 11...while i remove the first capo...i should be able to join in on the 12th beat or 2nd at the latest

might put it to a test here before with a video

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 14:49:09

Florian

wtf am i thinking...!!!

i can play bulerias in tarantos key on the 4th fret is the same tone as playing it A on the 1st..

no need to change capo at all, do the female singer on 4th fret in A first...use a falseta and change tone in the remate

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 15:13:12

xirdneH_imiJ

from 2:50 - he doesn't stay on C, he plays the tercio and goes back to A...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 10 2011 22:35:00
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post