Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Open all forums to public read-only?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
[Poll]

Open all forums to public read-only?

Yes - open all of it for Guest read access
  26% (5)
Yes - but keep a private forum for members-only
  42% (8)
No
  31% (6)

Total Votes : 19

(last vote on : Jan. 30 2010 13:09:28) 
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Escribano

Open all forums to public read-only? 

Do you want to open all the forums on this site to public read-only access? They would have to register to post. The Public Area is already open for reading and posting.

We could then get the site into Web search engines with more content for indexing than just the current Public Area.

I will take nominations for deleting any threads that may not suitable for public consumption.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2003 8:59:45

Jon Boyes

RE: Open all forums to public read-only? (in reply to Escribano

Yes, if you also consider looking at selling advertising (banner ads or logos) as a means to make the site financially sustainable (I've just been reading the pledge thread).

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2003 10:45:32

[Deleted] (in reply to Escribano

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2003 13:18:10

Jon Boyes

RE: Open all forums to public read-only? (in reply to Guest

Why not? Theres a financial shortfall to be met.

What other suggestions do you have for meeting it?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2003 13:33:14

Patrick

Simon,

I just voted, and I do agree we need some new blood, but without proper safeguards, we could easily be opening ourselves up to a new can of (FT, Flamenco World) worms.

You have to admit this has been a very pleasant place form the beginning.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2003 16:41:56

Patrick

Jon,

As for meeting the financial shortfall, I still think (at least for now), that we step up and take care of it ourselves. We are the founding fathers of this forum. Personally I spend more on strings in a few weeks then what it would take for that shortfall to go away. I sent my contribution to Tom yesterday via PayPal, I know I have received more then my moneys worth. Just my opinion.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2003 16:51:05

Miguel de Maria

We have 50 members now, if we slowly grow to 100, and if half of those contribute something annually, the shortfall will be made up and Simon will be (modestly) compensated for his hours and hours of unpaid work. It may sound a bit funny to pay for a free forum, but think about how much you gain from this forum, how much enjoyment you get from it, and that may make your decision easy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2003 17:14:30

Patrick

Michael,

I fully agree.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2003 18:46:54

Ron.M

RE: Open all forums to public read-only? (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Absolutely,
Money is only relative. People adjust in and out of focus with whatever product they are dealing with.
If it's an average house, then folk are prepared to negoitiate about the last $5000, a average car say, $500.
They'll quite happily spend $20 for a couple of drinks for themselves and partner, but e-mail and question me closely as to what exactly they are getting for their ten bucks if they buy Flamenco Master...why doesn't it do this...why doesn't it do that, then consider their purchase like one of the single most important decisions of their lives!
It's a fact that folk feel they have paid for their computer and their add ons and ISP and then expect the whole of the Internet to be free.
It's even spread into everyday life now.
I think Patrick is a financial guy, so I'm sure he'll confirm that you can't cut a cake into three halves.
But by some lights, mirrors and sleight of hand you can make it appear that way by offering say, a two week holiday to Rio de Janeiro, including 4 star hotel plus the free use of a hire car for only $500 per person and only for the first 100 applicants who can get their booking and full payment in before the end of the week.
But then when you receive the documentation, the small print states that you must take out holiday insurance by their "approved" insurers which is a mere $4000 per person.
LOL!
Just juggling with numbers and the perception of numbers!

So the way I see it, is that sensible folk know that it costs money to run an internet site free of advertising and strings (no pun!)
So divide the cost up amongst the membership and then it's solved in a simple and straightforward way.
Yet folk will still lose sleep and be very wary about parting with 20 bucks or feel that somehow it's some kind of scam and that they should be getting it for free.
"'Cos that's what the other sites do"
Well you pays your money and takes your choice I suppose........

That's the way I see it anyway!

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2003 21:30:50

Patrick

Ron,

Again, you have said what I feel, but you always put things in a better light. Yes, I am an old time financial guy (and I do mean old), and as you said so succinctly, their aint no free lunch. We can all go back to the misery we had to put up with, but the $50 I sent Tom was the best investment I have made in a long time (with a three year bear market, it sure has been).

But, I think as importantly, is not to alienate those that decide not to contribute or don't have the means to do so. After thirty some odd years in business, I am in a financial position that me having to pay more then the next guy doesn't bother me in the least, in fact I feel privileged to be able to give a little back. Ron, I know you feel the same way, as I remember from FT you gave away at least one Flamenco Master to a young fellow that couldn't afford it. I bet you felt good about that free give away as you felt you were giving something back. The fact is I have learned more in the last year of FT and Foro then I ever would have on my own and made some good friends along the way half way around the globe.

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you want to support this site with your contributions, I fully support that effort, and if you don't, I support that as well. No judgments made. Trust me on this, if money is an issue to keep this thing going, we will find a way.

OK Ron, I put up my $50, when do I get that highly rated CD?

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2003 22:11:55

Thomas Whiteley

Simon;

My vote would be NO! If someone wants access to the other areas let them sign up and be a "whole member"!

Opening up the guest area to the public is a consideration, but we should discuss the merits.

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2003 23:05:13

[Deleted] (in reply to Jon Boyes

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 22 2003 18:32:31

Ron.M

RE: Open all forums to public read-only? (in reply to Thomas Whiteley

I would tend to agree with Tom here.
Look, I am genuinely interested in Flamenco and Flamenco guitar.
In fact the first thing ever I did when I first got hooked up to the internet was to type "Flamenco" into the Alta Vista search engine.

We know there are loads of "casual" surfers out there, who may be moderately interested in guitar, feel a bit bitter about life in general, have had a few drinks in them, and are at a loose end and find it quite entertaining to cause a bit of disruption by posting extreme views and insulting folk just for sport.
I think we have all witnessed that before.

Having an automated registration system that accepts folk on any old Hotmail throw-away address and then allows them to post anything they want is no safeguard.

They'll have a laugh retaliating, until they finally get banned from posting.
Which is no big deal, since they never cared that much about the subject anyway.
But the unpleasant mood still lingers around the Forum for a few days afterwards.
Then, if it is followed up by a couple of similarly motivated "sympathisers", it leads to a general flame war and the shedding of long time regular genuine contributors, who no longer find it a pleasant place to visit.
The lunatics then end up taking over, and then the whole thing eventually shuts down.

This is, near enough, the history of the last few Forums.

What's with the impatience these days?

In the old days it was reckoned that for a business to succeed, it should double it's size in five years. Then it was three years.
Then the Internet generation, reckoned that if you don't keep doubling in size every three months then you are doomed for failure.

If anyone is TRUELY interested in Flamenco and wish to talk to others, they will seek this Forum out, and accept having to jump through a couple of hoops first, like register and behave in a decent manner.

Even seedy late-night drinking clubs have bouncers.

Sure, they like new business...but not just anybody.

So my view would be to have the Public access General Forum, to carry some of the info out to the wider internet, and keep the member section separate, available to those who are interested enough to sign up.
Then, regardless of however long it takes for the membership to grow, it least it will be folk with a genuine interest in talking, learning and sharing the interest.

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 22 2003 21:07:13

Jon Boyes

RE: Open all forums to public read-only? (in reply to Guest

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndyB

That seems non sequitor, Jon. Giving free public read access to the member-only
areas doesn't have any financial benefits.

Oops, Sorry, I'm thinking several steps ahead and not explaining myself.

Opening up forums to the public = wider listing on search engines = much wider readership = better prospects for sponsorship/advertising.

Obviously if the forum maintains limited public access, advertising is not really viable as advertsisers would only be reaching 50 peope or so.

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 28 2003 10:58:44
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote