Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Some tearout on cypress   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

birussell

Some tearout on cypress 

Hi ,my name is blair and I'm an amateur luthier. I was routing out the binding channel on my 4th guitar and unfortunately some tearout occured on the sides of the cypress. I know for rosewood you can fill small gaps with some superglue + sanding and it sort of hides it, but for this I think it's either too big or just won't work on cypress. I'll upload some pictures soon, but if you know any tricks to fix this sort of stuff it would be much appreciated.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 16:03:52

estebanana

RE: Some tearout on cypress (in reply to birussell

That can be tough. Can you make the binding wider and re-rout the channel wider?

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 16:13:06

birussell

Uhh I sorta already glued the bindings...... soo....

here's a few pictures so you have a better idea of what's wrong with it

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 16:31:20

Escribano

Can that be filled with sawdust and glue? I am not a luthier just wondering?

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 16:34:20

birussell

RE: Some tearout on cypress (in reply to Escribano

quote:

ORIGINAL: Escribano

i sure hope so
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 16:35:27

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: birussell

Uhh I sorta already glued the bindings...... soo....

here's a few pictures so you have a better idea of what's wrong with it

Looks to me like you have two options. Re-rout the binding slots deeper or fill. I've found that the water based paste fillers that come in light and dark tones can be mixed to match the color of the cypress and work well to fill small chips like that. Filling is a lot easier than re-routing.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 17:07:47

estebanana

yeah if you want it perfect you need to do it over, but it does not look that bad. John mentioned the water based fillers there are to I've used Zar and Elmers. They both take water color to match wood.

In the old day, and really still now repairers used gesso to plug up things where making a wooden patch impossible of impractical. It's mixture of calcium carbonate with hot hide glue and sometimes dry powder titanium white added to make it bright white. Gesso takes both oil based and water based colors, but after experimenting a bit, I've found many situation where I would have used gesso in the past the ready made wood fillers have worked just fine.

Do you know why the wood chipped, besides that cypress can be brittle? Which router bit did you use and did you hone it up a bit and check to make sure t was not glazed? You can also clean up to certain extent little things with files before you glue the binding on.

I would take scrap piece of your cypress and gouge it a bit then fill it with one of those water based products and do some color matching tests. You can cover a multitude of sins with the right color.

And don't feel bad, everyone has been there, and worse.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2011 18:56:50

Anders Eliasson

If you do like John and Stephen says and color the guitar orange, it wont be visible.

Besides, if the guitar plays really well, noone will notice, only picky collectors having trouble going from E to F when playing soleá.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2011 8:14:48

rodpacheco

quote:

For what I've seen in Paracho, and it seems to me in Spain, and many other places, including the US, super-glue / epoxy and sawdust are used more often to fill such imperfections. I bet it's got a lot to do with availability and offer of such products (which is very desirable, tools/jigs, tonewoods, finishing materials, etc) and the notion constructors have of what it is to craft a guitar. As opposed to what Anders reffers to when he jokes about collectors( Oléeeee Macho!)hehe. It kind of reminds of something I saw in internet about how some maker's jig to find the bridge placement was a length of rope with 2 knots tied 32.5mm apart (approximately, haha). Very Laid back and Fundamental approach to guitarmaking, producing excellent instruments.

Ofcourse some use expensive equipment and with this more accuracy, but both approaches produce beautiful beautiful music. Don't you think so...??

Óleee a to's!!

Rodrigo Pacheco @ Delirio Hand-made Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2011 22:52:32

Jeff Highland

The rope with 2 knots to measure for bridge placement is either a joke or deliberate misinformation.
A guitar with misplaced frets or bridge is not beautiful in it's own way, it is simply out of tune.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2011 1:13:05

estebanana

RE: Some tearout on cypress (in reply to Jeff Highland

quote:

The rope with 2 knots to measure for bridge placement is either a joke or deliberate misinformation.

The some Mexicans in the guitar making pueblos do stuff like that and get away with it. They are very tricky little Mexicans. :)

Just remember that super glue,or any cyanoacrylate -CA glue for short- does not mix well with Cypress repairs.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2011 2:34:27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote