Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Exagon tuning machines   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Julian

Exagon tuning machines 

So recently I bought a new guitar from my uncle. It's a 2008 Juan Miguel Carmona which my uncle ordered but never played (5-6 hours at max!), because he doesn't like the shape of the neck. Well the neckshape fits perfectly to my hands, and since I wanted to upgrade my guitar I bought it.
He installed very nice Rodgers tuners on the guitar with real ivory buttons... Because he likes them so much and wants to use them on a new guitar I had to purchase new tuners.

Well the Rodgers are really nice, but too expensive for me and therefore I started a long tuning-machine search. From Rubner, Schaller, Scheller, Graf, Alessi, Gotoh, Gilbert, Fustero to finally Exagon.
I saw them on another guitar from my uncle and was amazed how smooth they worked. And since I wanted to try them I had to start another odyssey purchasing them...
Eventually I ended up contacting the manufacturer directly since Savarez, who is the official distributor, is not able to reply to any of my mails/phone-calls.

Then everything went really fast and yesterday I received a small package with the tuning machines. They are very properly manufactured (milled from bronze I think), the tuning-ratio is 1:18 and all moving Parts run in teflon/polymer bearings. The design is not too fancy and I like it really much (I have the model callisto).

I'll try to install them this weekend and will post some pictures of them installed, and will tell my experiences (of course compare them with the Rodgers machines).

Oh before I forget it: www.exagontuner.com

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2011 10:39:06

Julian

RE: Exagon tuning machines (in reply to Julian

Another pic

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2011 10:40:09

ralexander

They do have a really nice understated look to them - would you mind sharing how much they cost?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2011 12:21:06

Julian

Hi Ryan,
list price is 330€ + VAT. which is 20%. Mr. Margaritella, the producer is a really nice guy who made me a very generous offer, so I didn't have to think long about purchasing them...

Today I installed the tuners which was a bit tricky, because the installation of the roller-bearings wasn't just plug-and-play. I had to make a wood-spacing for each hole, but now everything works perfectly!

Well they are just very precisely to tune and run very smooth, so I definitely recommend them! Compared to the Rodgers-tuners they are a really big bang for the buck! In my opinion they work a bit better, and they look very pretty on my guitar

I'll post some photos tomorrow.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2011 19:25:08

Gimar Yestra

Those look realy nice, thnx for sharing.

too bad the english website doesn't work for me, maybe its due to safari.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2011 20:23:48
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post