Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Juan Carlos Romero - New CD   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

KMMI77

RE: Juan Carlos Romero - New CD (in reply to Florian

quote:

better guitars sound better, better recording equipment records better,

Yep, there is no doubt about it. But what i find really important is the guitars players imagination.

Clean playing does not = great music. Even if one moves sounds around, they will find themselves restricted to their own skills, their imagination and musical sensitivity.

You can drop in until you believe that everything you play sounds exactly the way you want to hear it. It may sound much better than a single take, but it won't turn an average player into a technical master or creative genius.

IMO the best musicians search within their actual ability. Honesty is where it's at anyway.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2012 12:04:50

Florian

RE: Juan Carlos Romero - New CD (in reply to KMMI77

quote:

Even if one moves sounds around, they will find themselves restricted to their own skills, their imagination and musical sensitivity.

ok

that's a pretty good argument ...was hoping noone would mention that...the only gap in my theory...u can only ever be as good as what your top perception of good is and the limit of your imagination

quote:

u can only ever be as good as what your top perception of good is and the limit of your imagination

fu*k did i just make that up ? that's good !!gonna copywrite it

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2012 12:07:19

KMMI77

Hey Florian,

Your right though, It's hard to compete with the sound these guys get.

I was looking for a video that i saw on you tube but they have removed it. It was on RosarioLatremenditas channel and Antonio Rey was in the studio. He was doing take after take of the same bit trying to get it right. Everyone was giving him advice saying " no play it more like this " and then singing the phrase. Then Antonio was trying to get it right.

So you could have said "Busted"

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2012 12:17:35

KMMI77

quote:

u can only ever be as good as what your top perception of good is and the limit of your imagination

You explained it better than me

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2012 12:21:50

Florian

quote:

So you could have said "Busted"

id feel silly cause its standard practice

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2012 12:22:26

KMMI77

quote:

id feel silly cause its standard practice

And if you can't beat em, join em!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2012 12:25:05

Florian

dont worry i have ...not ever saying how many takes ...but been there done that...if i ever do an album i can only ever work in my home studio or it will send me broke

u can only ever be as good as what your top perception of what good is and the limit of your imagination ........that was so good i just wanted to say it one more time

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2012 12:30:29

KMMI77

quote:

u can only ever be as good as what your top perception of what good is and the limit of your imagination

Maybe you should add "at the time" To the end. Because it's something that keeps developing with the musician.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2012 12:43:22

Florian

i cant change it now

already used it on my facebook update page...i dont say many wise things there at all...never made a fortune cooky inspiring update, i hate the Dalai Lama ones people make, they so commercial, peaceful and with so many holes.... so i posted....

"One can only ever be as good as what one's top perception of what good is and the limit of their imagination"

i think "at the time" is implied..

just inspired myself to practice...5 bucks for anyone that wants to use it as their quotes ?

after all this i am realizing my initial reply was to a post from 2011

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2012 12:51:48

Ron.M

quote:

after all this i am realizing my initial reply was to a post from 2011

So everyone will think it's a "considered" reply!

Not just a knee-jerk answer. You take your time. I like that.

Another good wise quote for FB is "No Game No Pay".

That will have them scratching their heads for a while as they try to work out the deep philosophical meaning behind it!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2012 13:33:59

Florian

RE: Juan Carlos Romero - New CD (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

So everyone will think it's a "considered" reply!

look out 5 years from on on my review for this album...its gonna be a beauty , you wont wanna miss it, put it in your calendar now

at least now i don't feel so bad for taking Arash's thread so far off course...i must say...that constant guilt really took the fun our of discussing guns.. i kept making it shorter cause i am not sure of the regular accepted length for a gun discussion on a Romero thread is this days

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2012 13:37:06

Ricardo

It's of course possible to splice together bunch of falsetas to create a piece. But spiceing individual notes gets harder and harder to do. In mose cases a speedy passage for example where accuracy is not always perfect, most players realize a limit to how many takes is the max before it becomes redundant. For me it's no more than like 3 to 5 takes. If you don't get it by then, your not gonna get in the next 1000. Point is there is also the expression. Take one is usually the most expressive, take two more accurate due to focus on technique and take 3 with show how you most normally play. It sucks when you hear hear yourself play accurate but not as expressive as the less clean take. So good musicians not affraid to splice in or punch go in prepared as possible knowing comprimses will have to be made. The final result should be the cleanest take that still has the expressivity. So many pros have talked about making the sacrifice of precision for the sake of expression. The great masters often have to let go to print recordings that are not even as good as their personal best performance. Look at PDL, sure his recordings are great, some mistakes are done live, but there are plenty of video proofs of the guy doing WAY better than his recordings in concert.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 14 2012 14:59:36

KMMI77

RE: Juan Carlos Romero - New CD (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Point is there is also the expression.

And also the way one feels music in relation to the rhythm. Juan Carlos Romero is a great example because when listening his recordings, I find it confusing to relate to what he is listening to as a point of reference. His rhythmically backed recordings are almost always up in the air. This effect could be created using slip mode by playing straight and tight in the groove and then slightly slipping the guitar part in relation to the palmas, in one direction adding aire. Not that i am accusing him of doing that.

It would be interesting to have the individual tracks from this bulerias and slip the guitar part so that the accents were falling directly on the palmas beats removing the aire. I'm curious to hear what it would sound like.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 15 2012 3:42:54

Florian

i just listened to most of the album on spotify...

i love the seguirilla !!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 15 2012 8:06:22

tburke

A quote by Juan Carlos speaking about the album "There are very few takes of each song and they’re all complete. It hasn’t been fragmented and then put together”.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 14 2012 12:27:11

Ricardo

RE: Juan Carlos Romero - New CD (in reply to tburke

quote:

ORIGINAL: tburke

A quote by Juan Carlos speaking about the album "There are very few takes of each song and they’re all complete. It hasn’t been fragmented and then put together”.

I have the DVD from Japan that is a mix of players each doing one or two pieces only live on TV. THe sound is very live and real, so not fixing errors. It's called "Passion Flamenca vol 1". Juan Carlos Romero plays first a buleria. He plays perfectly so I have no problem believing he can pull off first takes of what we hear on CD.....but honestly it lacks strength. I only say that cuz next we hear people like Nuñez Niño de Pura and Cañizares on the same stage and setting!!! I think accuracy and even the expressivity aspects are helped when you play softly in the studio and the compression pushes it all up front. Conversely if you compare Nuñez live version on this DVD of his buleria to his CD version, the studio compression truly hurts the performance as the intended dynamics and energy are streamlined and flattened.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 14 2012 16:30:17

ToddK

quote:

This effect could be created using slip mode by playing straight and tight in the groove and then slightly slipping the guitar part in relation to the palmas, in one direction adding aire. Not that i am accusing him of doing that.

So you are defining "aire" as the guitar being slightly late?

If it were only that simple. I regret to inform you, its not.

You are in fact "accusing him of doing that", just passive aggresively.

Slipping the guitar forward on Juan's tracks would have to same
effect on Paco's, Gerardo's, or anyone's tracks. So i cant help but take
your comments as a bit backhanded and disrespectful. The guy can play his a$$ off, period.

When you attack a player of that calibur's integrity, it only really goes to show
your insecurity, in my opinion.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 15 2012 8:02:57

KMMI77

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 15 2012 12:27:35
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 15 2012 11:35:10

tburke

From the same interview with Juan Carlos Romero regarding this album "It isn’t there in an obvious way, but it is inside: the guts of the album are rhythmically ambitious”. “When you delve inside and see where the falseta is placed, you realize there’s a certain complexity”.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 15 2012 11:37:45

tburke

RE: Juan Carlos Romero - New CD (in reply to Arash

Interviews regarding the album for those interested

http://www.flamenco-world.com/artists/juan_carlos_romero2011/juancarlosromero07022011.htm

http://www.deflamenco.com/revista/paginai.jsp?codigo=2879
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 15 2012 11:45:38

KMMI77

RE: Juan Carlos Romero - New CD (in reply to ToddK

quote:

So you are defining "aire" as the guitar being slightly late?

And no, I am defining ( one of the abilities of slip mode) as being able to shift a guitar track in relation to the palmas. This does not aid the players aire at all. Only the aire between the guitar track and palmas track. If they happen to be recorded separately.

I didn't think you required a 3000 word SA to prove that i am not accusing him of ANYTHING. It was just a thought that came to mind when listening to it due to my own experiences with slip mode , nothing else. I just listen to peoples music for what it is. If i like it i listen to it again. When i listen i never make accusations, I only care about the end result, not how it was reached or how many tricks were used, if any?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 15 2012 12:07:41
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post