Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

New D'addario Flamenco strings   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

ToddK

New D'addario Flamenco strings 

D'addario Flamenco strings, with composite basses and black trebles
just hit the shelf January 11, 2011.

I have a pack in the mail. Hope they're cool

http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_41_892_894&products_id=6236

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 0:03:20

Andy Culpepper

RE: New D'addario Flamenco strings (in reply to ToddK

quote:

I have a pack in the mail.

Me too! I love D'addario strings in general but I hope these basses are more flamenco sounding than the Pro Arte

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 0:25:38

kovachian

Any set with composite basses has to be a great set, in my opinion.

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 0:30:49

dararith

RE: New D'addario Flamenco strings (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

Me too! I love D'addario strings in general but I hope these basses are more flamenco sounding than the Pro Arte

I really like the Pro Arte Composites Bass strings and found that it sounds and feels the best on my guitar, though I don't like their trebles too much. I really hope that the D'Addario Flamenco string works well for me. I'm ordering a pack. Thanks for sharing Todd!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 0:32:35

ToddK

The guy @ stringsbymail, claims they are different from the usual composite
basses.
They are supposedly a different core. They are silverplated copper.

We'll see how they do.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 0:34:08

malakka

I am looking forward to hear how these strings are. I tried some D'Addario black trebles a few years ago that were packaged with the regular Pro Arte basses. They were pretty similar to the regular Pro Arte trebles, nowhere near as good as the La Bella 820B black trebles and the Aranjuez 200 black trebles. Also will be interesting to see how the basses are. I prefer the regular Pro Arte basses over the composites. Hopefully these composites have a different sound and feel.

Thanks for posting this as I was totally unaware of these new strings.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 1:41:51

sean65

Haven't seen them in the UK yet Todd so report back your thoughts.

The packaging doesn't give any indication of tension, any idea's what they might be?

Ditto that. Just checked on the D'Addario web site and they are the same as normal tension strings
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 7:16:32

gounaro

I'm waiting for the new D' Addario too. I heard that are thicker than Pro Arte, but i have to see them first. I have ordered one set with clear nylon and the other with the black trebles... I hope not to be disapointed...

Spyros
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 9:13:46

Estevan

RE: New D'addario Flamenco strings (in reply to gounaro

quote:

I heard that are thicker than Pro Arte, but i have to see them first.

If you follow the link that Todd provided you can find all the info on thickness and tension, and compare to strings you know.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 21 2011 17:03:29

Ramon Amira

By chance, just yesterday one of my students, who had bought two packs of these, gave me one for my opinion. I will be trying them out tomorrow and will give a report.

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2011 16:04:49

Ramon Amira

Well, I just tried the new D'addario EJ25 flamenco strings. The bass strings are D.O.A. – Dead On Arrival. If this is the sound of composite, it would be better used for compost.

The trebles are the usual D'addario, which I personally can't stand. To make matters worse, the trebles and basses are horribly mismatched. Not that it matters – the basses are hopeless.

Interestingly, the same student who gave me these to try, had just put on a new set of D'addario EJ48 Bronze, and I was very impressed with the sound of those basses.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2011 21:00:11

at_leo_87

ramon,
i often use the composites. somewhere in the packaging, it explains that the strings take longer to settle and break in, but once they do they, they will continue to sound great longer than most strings.

maybe give it a few more days?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2011 21:43:41

ToddK

No big surprise that these strings wont be great for everybody.

Thats why there are different brands, tensions, etc etc...

As atleo87 says, it takes time for strings to break in, so its wise to not be
too hasty when trying a new brand.
Not only do the strings need to really stretch in, but your hands need to adust to them as well.

To my ears, ALL strings sound pretty bad the first day you put them on.

I need a minimum of a few days to really know if i like a string or not.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2011 22:09:44

XXX

I always leave one string of the old brand on the guitar to compare it with the new string. I just did this and took the new strings off right away and put on the old ones.

Im sure everybody has his tastes. Maybe the strings that i dismissed during the ridiculous 10 seconds of trying, would suit another person's taste. But i always take off strings right away which that have a "warm" tone.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2011 22:41:04

ToddK

RE: New D'addario Flamenco strings (in reply to XXX

quote:

aybe the strings that i dismissed during the ridiculous 10 seconds of trying,

If you put a string on, and only play it for 5 minutes, and take it off, you never really tried that string.

Strings have to stretch in. The diameter will change as that happens, and so will other properties. The string will also become firmer obviously.

Like many aspects of mastering the guitar, its all about patience and an open mind.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2011 23:07:49

Ramon Amira

Well, I will give it a few days, and keep listening, but I don't think my opinion is going to change. In my experience, the tonal qualities are the tonal qualities, and while there might be some improvement in the sound, it won't change the essence of the nature of any given string.

I found these to have a very soft, too mellow sound, with little projection. Some classical guitarists might like them, though I doubt it, but for me they simply won't work for flamenco.

Here is an excerpt from Strings By Mail description of D'addario composite strings:

"D'Addario Composite wound strings exclusively feature Zyex(R) multi-filament stranded core material, which delivers GUT-LIKE TONE (my caps) with extremely long life and consistency."

"Gut-like tone" is a good description of the sound of these strings, which I feel is not appropriate for flamenco.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2011 23:28:43

ToddK

RE: New D'addario Flamenco strings (in reply to Ramon Amira

quote:

I don't think my opinion is going to change. In my experience, the tonal qualities are the tonal qualities, and while there might be some improvement in the sound, it won't change the essence of the nature of any given string.

Strings dont have any actuall "tonal qualities"
Tie a string across 2 nails on a solid wooden block, and hear for yourself.
It makes little to no noise.
All they do is drive top of the guitar. The sound comes from the style in which one propells the string, and how that inturn drives the top. Its about how the string feels under you fingers, and how its particular tension, diameter, and density drive your particular guitar. Thats the match you're looking for.
Not to do with any tonal qualities of the string.
A string is only a tool. There are players who can get a damn good sound using fishing line.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 0:16:07

ToddK

quote:

D'Addario Composite wound strings exclusively feature Zyex(R) multi-filament stranded core material, which delivers GUT-LIKE TONE (my caps) with extremely long life and consistency."

You missed this i guess, but Stringsbymail confirmed to me in an email, that
the "composite" basses in the flamenco set are NOT the same core as those
in the rest of the composite basses for the normal/classical sets.

But again, its about the way the properties of the string match the guitar
and your right hand. Not about the atuall sound of the string. The string
doesnt really possess any sound of its own really.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 0:22:14

El Kiko

I totally agree with this .......Todd , people have to find stings that suit the guitar ( and you) Although I find that in general D'Addario strings last longer ( for me ) but this is also to do with .. how you play ...how often .. and also your own hands..some people sweat more or have more acidic type hands than others ,, I wont elaborate on this now ... I myself use D'Addario EJ43's(light tension) on my primary guitar , because they sound good (and I have tried others) so I stick to them.
However on my secondary guitar I always lacked treble and brilliance, so I eventually came to Galli GR45 normal tension.genius Titanium....(.http://www.gallistrings.com/)...and what a difference !! .. really...
So I put them on my primary guitar expecting the same difference, but no, I went back to D'Addario for that one,
It's really difficult to give advice on strings unless you got the same guitar as me, and the same hands,,, ..
and yet that is what I have just done......!

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 1:08:42

Ramon Amira

Of course I understand that the string drives the top. It's really just semantics. "Tonal qualities" of a string is construed to mean the tonal qualities that the string imparts to the guitar by virtue of its – as you say - particular tension, diameter, and density, etc.

I can't agree that the particular guitar makes a significant difference. I have frequently put the same strings on vastly different guitars, and invariably you get pretty much the same sound, to one degree or another.

Yes, I just read where it says that the composite is different on the flamenco strings. However, it may be different, but anyway the sound exactly fits the original description – gut-like.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 3:16:02

Ramon Amira

In any case, I would be interested to hear what other players think of them.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 3:26:02

XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: ToddK

quote:

aybe the strings that i dismissed during the ridiculous 10 seconds of trying,

If you put a string on, and only play it for 5 minutes, and take it off, you never really tried that string.

But Todd, there are strings that i also liked from the 1st second on. And they kept on being great. You say diameter will change, maybe, but thats not the only thing that influences sound as i have come to the conclusion that its more the surface and material of the string (although it seems i have a bias for thinner strings, but i dont pay attention to that when playing.). I also doubt that the sound of the string will change so much so that you will love something what you disliked completely in the beginning. Im not talking about "getting used" to a string, technique wise. I mean purely sound.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 8:12:14

Doitsujin

quote:

I also doubt that the sound of the string will change so much so that you will love something what you disliked completely in the beginning.

Well, with music that works.. Some CDs I never liked are now my favourites.. It just takes some time.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 8:29:09

XXX

RE: New D'addario Flamenco strings (in reply to Doitsujin

That never happened with me. There were things that "not liked" as you say. When hearing LuZia for the first time I was just dealing with flamenco one year. I did not understand the form(s) on that CD, I was much more into the old playing. But never "disliked" it, like Ottmar Liebert or so.

Conversly there are some things that I liked in the beginning, and then hated when listening after one year. Best example would me my own playing and recordings.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 8:47:21

sean65

quote:

I can't agree that the particular guitar makes a significant difference.

Hi Ramon,

I'd have thought that but I tried a set of Luthiers on a Bernal guitar and got a great result so I thought if I put the same strings on my extra cheap guitar it might just give it the bit of life that's missing, but they sounded awful so I switched back to D'Addario.

My experience with D'Addario's is that they take about 3 or 4 days to settle down and the sound starts to become brighter and snappier.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 10:07:17

Paul Magnussen

quote:

Strings dont have any actuall "tonal qualities"

If that were so, then a wound string would sound the same as an unwound string.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 15:31:38

mezzo

RE: New D'addario Flamenco strings (in reply to XXX

quote:

Deniz:
(although it seems i have a bias for thinner strings,)

ah ok! i understand now. I just put a new set of strings (aquila alabastro). I think these are the thinnest strings i ever play so far. I played with ej45 for more than 6 months. So my fingers need an adaptation time to appreciate them but pfff! the D string is already dead and is gonna break (2nd fret) in less than 1 week!

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 23 2011 22:50:11

Andy Culpepper

I just put the new strings on. They totally rock the house. The basses seem more brash, snappy and percussive and SEPARATED. Something the EJ45s are definitely lacking. Alzapua and thumb lines sound great. Trebs seem pretty similar to EJ45.
These strings are second only to Hannabach IMO. I think I will start putting them on new guitars.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 0:26:44

ToddK

RE: New D'addario Flamenco strings (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

I just put the new strings on. They totally rock the house. The basses seem more brash, snappy and percussive and SEPARATED. Something the EJ45s are definitely lacking. Alzapua and thumb lines sound great. Trebs seem pretty similar to EJ45.
These strings are second only to Hannabach IMO. I think I will start putting them on new guitars.

Great!! The Hannabach's are a bit more expensive though, arent they?

Really nice to hear the D'addario's are close to advertised. Thank you!!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 0:41:54

dararith

My preferred combo is a set of medium tension Galli Titanio trebles and hard tension D'Addario composite bass. I find these to produce the best sound I can obtain with my guitar and my level of playing. I tend to switch around the trebles with LaBella 820Bs and the occasional Popular Supreme 20 or D'Addario standards, but nothing sounds better than the D'Addario composite bass.

With that said, I've had the Flamenco D'Addario set for about three days now. I must say, I'm not impressed with the trebles, though they are still stretching as I still have to re-tune them every so often (it's getting better though) so I'd have to probably wait longer for the trebles to settle before it may start sounding better. As of now, the trebles sound very similar to the EJ45 but a bit duller and not bright like the Galli's that I like.

However, the bass is crispier than the EJ45 composite bass line set from the start. I don't think it's louder in volume though, but it's definitely snappier off the bat. They have already settled in rather quickly too and is sounding quite supreme. Finally, I have found something that rivals the EJ45C bass--another D'Addario set!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2011 0:56:41
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post