Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

A good book type tutor??   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

A good book type tutor?? 

Anyone able to recommend a really good tutor book, I've just completed the melbay Anyone can teach themselves Flamenco guitar. I now need to progress to something a bit more challenging.

Any ideas

Smurf
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 19 2003 13:25:17

Jon Boyes

RE: A good book type tutor?? (in reply to Guest

I'm not familiar with that book, but Juan Martin's 'El Arte..." book & CD is excellent for beginners to intermediate players and contains a load of stuff on flamenco besides the music and technique.

Paco Pena's Toques Flamencos is a great collection of intermediate-advanced trad. material, and assumes you have the basic technique down. The notation is a pig (Paco invented his own and you either have to memorise it all first or keep flicking back and for to the key) but the idea of 12 beat long bars is good one.

In both cases, the accompanying recording is absolutely essential.

Paco's cassette is also essential listening for anyone worried about the quality of their home recordings

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 19 2003 14:34:52

Florian

I agree Juan Martin + cd or tape is the best one concentrates on alot of details.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 19 2003 15:30:03

Patrick

Martin for content, Herrero tapes one and two for technique
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 19 2003 18:29:27

Thanks to everyone here for their advice.

It looks like the general concensus is to get juan martins El arte and Paco Pena's Toques book. Same applied at Flamenco Teacher too.

Another Question tho. Oscar Herrero's DVDs go up to volume six is it worth investing in all of them?

As for the Mel bay book, it's not a bad start because it is fairly basic but it's taken me 8 months of solid practice to get to the final section with some actual music. But for a total flamenco virgin I can recommend it.

Looks like i've decided on a wish list now tho. Problem is I really want to expand and develop a repertoire as well as learn techniques are these books good for that?

Smurf
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2003 8:11:32

Florian

yes it is worth investing in them , is always better on video ofcourse u can see everything eg position of fingers , way hes holding the guitar etc.
i have all of them and they are very good.

Ofcourse only invest on what applies to you right now some of it concentrates on somethings that u might not need just yet like acompaning Solea cante (that will come later)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2003 8:48:26

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Guest

As for the Mel bay book, it's not a bad start because it is fairly basic but it's taken me 8 months of solid practice to get to the final section with some actual music. But for a total flamenco virgin I can recommend it.

Looks like i've decided on a wish list now tho. Problem is I really want to expand and develop a repertoire as well as learn techniques are these books good for that?

There's very little in Paco's book on technique - its 95% repertoire - all quite long pieces, all assume a good solid foundation in technique. Some of its quite tough. Its worth getting just for his rumba and colombiana, which both make great solo pieces
(as Michael Cho will agree is he's reading...)

The great thing about Juan's material is that he gets you playing real music right away, even if you are a complete novice. This is his real strength - he wll introduce a technique and then give you a very simple togue to practice it in context. This is much more rewarding than doing just exercises, IMO.

I heard a story about a kid who worked through the book, memorised the main pieces and made some money (in Spain) playing bars.

Juan's videos are great repertoire building fodder too. I have the first video from his first series -solea & bulerias. You get a mixture a material, some very basic, some harder.

He does a great job introducing different styles of bulerias.

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2003 10:07:11

Merle

Smurf, for now, just get the first 3 Herrero videos. The first 2 are mostly right hand technique, and the third is left hand technique. The 3rd is a wonderful series of lessons for the left hand. That 3rd video really helped me along.

It's funny, us flamenco guitar players! We worry/practice so much right hand technique that we sometimes lose focus on the left hand. Well, Oscar really gives you some good practice lessons to develope your left hand.

The last 3 videos concentrate on cante and baile accompaniment, so, until you learn the basics of most palos, this probably will not be much use to you at this time.

How come you have not registered here yet? (bad boy, bad, bad, bad boy)!! ;>)

Merle

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2003 12:52:59
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote