Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: THE ART OF RASGUEADO... NO PAIN NO GAIN?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

RE: THE ART OF RASGUEADO... NO PAIN ... (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Hey Mike..
It's irony man, irony!

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2005 21:22:04

Patrick

RE: THE ART OF RASGUEADO... NO PAIN ... (in reply to Ron.M

OK boys let's lighten it up a bit. Word has it that Miguel has a new world-class negra!

Now no excuses for that CD!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2005 22:22:12

Escribano

Chill out guys, it is not how you are taught, it's how you play.

I am probably the only guy at work without a degree, let alone a PhD... but those computers just sit up and twitch when I tickle their keyboards Except this week, I cannot persuade 12 of them to stay in compas so we can get the right answer! Some have even got 64 bit dual CPUs ... sheesh. Then again, if we already know the right answer why are we asking them?

Better luck tomorrow with code on a beta compiler, running on a beta framework running in a beta operating system (one you haven't seen yet)

Sleep tight

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2005 22:35:34

Miguel de Maria

I should announce that I am the proud owner of a previously loved negra, a Tezanos-Perez. Due mostly to Patrick's generosity, I have come into the possession of this beautiful guitar, thus turning a bad event (the destruction of my Vicente Carillo) into a good event.

I got the guitar on Friday but have not had a great deal of time to play it. The first thing I did was change the strings, as I pretty much have to have hard tensions on in order to play. Now it has D'Addario hards on it, although I have ordered some Savarez Corum/Alliance at Patrick's urging, and some Galli strings because of the great blurb on STrings by Mail.

Patrick has the action set low, which first kind of put me off, but I am starting to really like. It is actually "standard" action for flamenco. I may raise the basses a sliver, but I am liking it.

The highs on this guitar truly sparkle. I suppose that it is pretty easy to get big, boomy basses, but that really pretty highs are a challenge. This challenge is met handsomely by the Tezanos. It is quite balanced, which at first is a bit strange. But you quickly begin to appreciate how nice it is to have neither the bass nor the treble predominate. It is easy to play and rewards a precise touch. It does not seem to be a particularly loud guitar, either, but it is loud enough.

Patrick feels this guitar is quite classical, but I think it definitely sounds like a flamenco guitar. For one thing, it does not have the resonance of a classical guitar, although raising the action could well provide that. On the other hand, it has a much finer sound than my Carillo and I think my classical repertoire will do very nicely indeed on it. I am gearing up to record an album this summer,which will be about 40% classical, 40% rumba/South American, 20% flamenco. I think this guitar will do nicely for the entire range of songs.

The only problem with the guitar is that it is so elegant and in such good condition, that I feel I have to be very careful with it. I actually protected the soundboard when changing the strings for the first time in my life. And I tried to make the strings look nice like Patrick does, using a lighter to make a ball on the end of the string. But I couldn't figure out how to do that... This guitar will probably never leave my house. But it is a pleasure, like eating fine chocolate or savoring a great tinto (Pescera anyone?).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2005 23:23:15

Miguel de Maria

Ron,
my friend, I wish you the best of luck with your irony...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2005 23:31:15

Patrick

quote:

Patrick feels this guitar is quite classical

Miguel,

Actually I feel the Tezanos is a pure negra that leans toward "classical overtones". It is indeed a world-class guitar anyway you look at it. To me, most negra’s are classicals with tap plates on them, not yours.

I am happy to see that you have unlocked the truly great aspects of this guitar, which is powerful trebles and balance. I think most players that have not experienced exceptional guitars expect magnificent tone difference from what they play. I can only believe that this guitar will help take you to the next level.

My only solace will be to know that when you are rich famous and "thank the little people", I will know I have done my part.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2005 2:53:12

rickm

sowhatsatinto?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 28 2005 17:27:04
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread