Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Attention Estela   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Phil

Attention Estela 

Estela,

Saturday night I went to the “Arranque Roteña” festival and saw Macarena de Jerez, La Susi, Elu de Jerez, and Remedios Amaya. Of the 4 I liked Elu the best, but the highlight of the evening was someone whose name wasn’t even on the bill. A young singer named El Kini (or Quini, not sure of the spelling). This is the 2nd time I’ve seen him and I recommend that you check him out when you get the opportunity. Both times that I’ve seen him he was with Eva Rubichi, who is also quite good. They’re both from the Peña La Buleria in Jerez. I don’t know if he’s a Rubichi or what family he’s from, but he is very very good. Not only does he sing excellent traditional Soleas and Siguiriyas, his Bulerias are real crowd pleasers. He doesn’t just do the little dance at the end, he intersperses a few steps between verses and even in the middle of a verse leaving you kind of hanging there waiting for the verse to resolve. He’s well worth going out of your way to see. The problem is I’ve never seen his name printed on the promotional flyers and posters. There’s also a dancer from the same peña named Saray, who I saw a couple of months ago (with El Kini and Eva singing), she just blew me, and everyone else present, away.

You seem to keep running into young Flamencos who not only don’t have any respect for tradition, but also openly criticize and downgrade it. Well, there are several young Flamencos actively performing that still have respect for traditional Flamenco. Maybe they’re in the minority, but the fact is they exist and, unless they get tempted away, they’ll carry the tradition on to the next generation. There’s got to be places other than Jerez that are producing young Flamencos who still respect traditional Flamenco, aren’t there?

Phil
PS. I enjoyed your reviews of the festival in La Union.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 18 2003 10:43:20

zata

RE: Attention Estela (in reply to Phil

Phil, please forgive me for apparently ignoring your intertesting post...I still don’t know my way around this group with all the different forums.

I know those four women well (Macarena de Jerez, La Susi, Elu de Jerez, and Remedios Amaya) and each one has a different something special. Elu is the only non-festera, that is, she sings heavy-duty cante and does not project as a bulería and tangos singer. I find her a little too operatic, but she’s got pelotas and knows her cante. Susi and Remedios are from the same crop of 1970’s festeras, ‘my people’ so to speak, and I enjoy them both. Macarena de Jerez is in the same line, but younger and of course with a strong Jerez sound (she’s the daughter of Manuel Moneo).

El Quini (sometimes written Kini) is Joaquín Flores, usually a palmero, but always dying to sing and dance.

Sure there are young flamencos who not only respect flamenco, but still perform....you’re living at ground zero Phil. Other places than Jerez? Utrera for sure...and just yesterday I was in Antonio Moya’s house listening to him complain that when he opens the refrigerator there’s nothing but the eco of his own voice.

I’m glad you enjoyed the La Unión reviews...it was a very hard job, especially having to deal with shows like Estrella Morente’s or Gerardo’s...these fine artists deserve a fair shake, but it’s tricky knowing what to say about them.

Estela 'Zata'

quote:

Attention Estela

Estela,

Saturday night I went to the “Arranque Roteña” festival and saw Macarena de Jerez, La Susi, Elu de Jerez, and Remedios Amaya. Of the 4 I liked Elu the best, but the highlight of the evening was someone whose name wasn’t even on the bill. A young singer named El Kini (or Quini, not sure of the spelling). This is the 2nd time I’ve seen him and I recommend that you check him out when you get the opportunity. Both times that I’ve seen him he was with Eva Rubichi, who is also quite good. They’re both from the Peña La Buleria in Jerez. I don’t know if he’s a Rubichi or what family he’s from, but he is very very good. Not only does he sing excellent traditional Soleas and Siguiriyas, his Bulerias are real crowd pleasers. He doesn’t just do the little dance at the end, he intersperses a few steps between verses and even in the middle of a verse leaving you kind of hanging there waiting for the verse to resolve. He’s well worth going out of your way to see. The problem is I’ve never seen his name printed on the promotional flyers and posters. There’s also a dancer from the same peña named Saray, who I saw a couple of months ago (with El Kini and Eva singing), she just blew me, and everyone else present, away.

You seem to keep running into young Flamencos who not only don’t have any respect for tradition, but also openly criticize and downgrade it. Well, there are several young Flamencos actively performing that still have respect for traditional Flamenco. Maybe they’re in the minority, but the fact is they exist and, unless they get tempted away, they’ll carry the tradition on to the next generation. There’s got to be places other than Jerez that are producing young Flamencos who still respect traditional Flamenco, aren’t there?

Phil
PS. I enjoyed your reviews of the festival in La Union.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2003 22:00:01
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post