Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Beer and wheat made me play bad!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

fevictor

Beer and wheat made me play bad! 

I have recently discovered that I am gluten intolerant. This means nothing that has wheat, barley or rye. So in a nutshell, none of my favorite foods! No beer, no bread (this is the worst thing that could have happened to me!), no pasta, no cookies, no crackers, and the list goes on and on and on.

I have always had problems with fatigue and sore shoulders, feeling like crap all the time and lack of concentration.

Strangely enough, after not having eaten any gluten for two months, I started to notice that my playing has greatly improved. My left hand now moves more freely and my right hand just feels right. My thumb feels great and everything just flows better now. Dont get me wrong, I'm still a total beginner, but I have way more confidence in my playing now! Its also easier for me now to learn new falsetas. It used to take me forever because I hard a hard time concentrating and I would get frustrated...but now in a matter of a few hours things just start sinking in.

Anyway, I'm very happy and just thought Id share this. Anybody else here have the same curse??

Vic
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 7 2010 19:33:10

Pgh_flamenco

RE: Beer and wheat made me play bad! (in reply to fevictor

I'm not surprised by these improvements. A study found that people eating fewer calories and mostly fruits and veggies, etc., did better on IQ tests and other tasks.

I bet there are gluten free beers out there. They aren't all made with barley, wheat or rye. Some beers are made with rice syrup solids. You could try Sapporo. If you have a Sam's Club nearby they have crackers made from sesame seeds that are gluten free and a personal favorite of mine.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 7 2010 20:41:03

fevictor

quote:

If you have a Sam's Club nearby they have crackers made from sesame seeds that are gluten free and a personal favorite of mine.

I wish! I live in a small town in the jungle / coast. No gluten free products here. I was lucky enough to find some quinoa the other day, but I bought the only two boxes that they had and they haven't restocked their supply yet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 7 2010 21:09:01

Escribano

Any gluten-free flour to make your own bread? What about tortillas - do they have harina de maíz in Costa Rica and is that gluten-free?

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 7 2010 21:28:05

fevictor

No gluten free flour here as far as I know. Not saying that you cant find it in Costa Rica, but I don't want to take a 4 hour bus ride just to by flour in the capital!

Corn is fine, tortillas are fine, and there are lots of substitutes. But bread! I grew up eating bread every single day for dinner. I also grew up eating tortillas, but I would gladly trade those in and stick with bread! Sometimes I would eat a baguette with chorizo and cheese for dinner. Not any more...ever again.

The sucky part is that gluten is in everything. Sauces, packaged foods, candy bars, I mean its just everywhere. Anything with malt in it is out of the question. Ive suddenly become one of THOSE people that are always reading labels and being picky about what they eat.

Oh well, could be worse things I guess.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 7 2010 21:43:30

Leendert

Interesting...If you have ever any questions about gluten free products and or ingredients, send me a PM....I work in a natural/organic store as a bakery supervisor and we have a whole lot of Gluten Free products as well and I have to help a lot of customers with these issues, some having additional allergies as well, on top of that my wife has gluten & soy allergies and is lactose intolerant so I hear you!
It's not easy to find good products, but they are out there.
Good luck!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 7 2010 22:34:43

fevictor

Wow, thanks. I guess you know a thing or two then! Ive actually researched this like crazy, but Ill keep you in mind for sure.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 8 2010 2:04:07

Martin

About ten years ago my mother was suffering from bad arthritis, when was eventually nailed doen to Coeliac syndrome (wheat intolerance)

http://www.burghwoodclinic.co.uk/

These people stopped that, and the doctor has written books on the subject

"Let me assure you that I am playing all the right notes...... but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecombe
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 8 2010 19:28:09

HemeolaMan

I feel ya. I'm the same way!

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 8 2010 20:53:11

fevictor

quote:

I feel ya. I'm the same way

Oh yeah? Hows it been for you? No big deal or a pain in the royal ass??

Its weird how everyone has different symptoms.

Martin Im glad your mom is feeling better!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2010 16:13:34
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post