Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: thumb upstrokes   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ramon Amira

RE: thumb upstrokes (in reply to Stu

quote:

occasioned by the necessity of doing the rasgueos up the neck where the strings are softer...)

Thanks for everyone's comments. I hope to include as much as possible. And as I go along I will solicit more on different players, present and past.

On an unrelated note with respect to the above quote, Sabicas himself frequently did exactly the same rasgueado in Bulerias. At about 1:50

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 21:11:37

mark indigo

RE: thumb upstrokes (in reply to Ramon Amira

quote:

Sabicas himself frequently did exactly the same rasgueado in Bulerias. At about 1:50

he was doing fine 'til that point,
then he sold out to showmanship gimmickry!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 21:48:49

Ricardo

RE: thumb upstrokes (in reply to Ramon Amira

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prominent Critic

quote:

That Pepe Romero bulerias is a complete joke. wow... Awful..

Todd –

It's extremely interesting to hear differing opinions on different players. I am presently writing a book on the history of flamenco guitar, and I'm trying to do something a little different here. I plan to interview guitarists and include contemporary commentary and opinions by people who play flamenco guitar about famous guitarists. It would be very helpful to me if you could explain what you feel was awful about that Bulerias. That's exactly the kind of commentary about today's guitarists that I hope to include in my book, along with contemporary thought about famous guitarists of the past, which would bring a fresh perspective on those guitarists. I think it will be something different and unusual.

Thanks –
Ramon

Regarding opinions, you may find this thread interesting. I find it unusual for people really into flamenco say something like "tomatito's bulerias doesnt' sound so good". Now I know you said you want flamenco players opinions, but I thought the opinions of Isaac in this thread were very interesting. He has not posted in a long time, he is a pro classical play, very advanced from what I heard. Not sure why I remember this so clear, but perhaps cuz when I have people ask what is indisputeable good flamenco guitar, I usually thing of Tomatito's bulerias as a clear example. Yet this guy did not really like it at all.

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=62870&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=&tmode=&smode=&s=#63130

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 22:41:00

Estevan

RE: thumb upstrokes (in reply to Stu

There are some examples for this thread over in Audio Uploads

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 31 2010 23:31:38
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages