Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Flamenco Metronome   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

VietFlamenco

Flamenco Metronome 

Hello Folks,

I'm new to the forums. Really enjoying all the valuable information here. If anyone could share their thoughts on a good flamenco metronome? I know we have a free one in the forum for members, but is there one that you would consider the best?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2010 19:37:04

Ron.M

RE: Flamenco Metronome (in reply to VietFlamenco

Viet,

Obviously the most expensive is the best.

I mean they emphasise the compás better than any other one.

(Personally, if I had an iPhone, I'd buy Gshaviv's phone app "Beat Vibe", since it's good, handy and you can move about with it.

Yet it only costs a few dollars.

Good invention IMO....probably the best I've heard yet.)

(The free one on this site is crap, as it only does "old school" Flamenco compás. )

My advice is to spend heaps of dollars and get the most expensive on the market if you really want to play like Paco or Tomatito....

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2010 19:50:59

VietFlamenco

Thanks Ron. Being a poor student, I can't afford to upkeep the iphone 4 to get those cool apps. I just found the Flamenco metronome by Graf-Martinez. ver 4.0 Going to try it out and will let you guys know how it works out.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2010 20:08:56

at_leo_87

or a normal metronome would work just as well. i'm actually finding that flamenco metronomes/solo compas cds can be a crutch.

i have the beatvibe and it's nice. solid, adjustable, etc. but i mostly use it as a metronome.

i've heard bad things about the graf martinez metronome. like it skips beats. be wary.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2010 21:33:28

BarkellWH

By far, the Oscar Herrero model is the best on the market. It will cost about US$350 but it is worth it. It has the timing and beat for all the palos.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2010 23:19:57

mrMagenta

I swear by my wittner mini pendulum metronome. It has a nice mechanical tick that won't drive me crazy in the long run. I don't have to think about batteries or anything. it never fails me, well unless i have to practice on a ship or in a room without a single level surface.. in the woods perhaps?..

If I were to get any sort of compas metronome I would get Jason McGuires intelligent compas thing. Don't know if it is available yet, or if it will come in a more portable format than regular computer software. Does anyone know the status of the project? Jason?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2010 23:52:51

VietFlamenco

I've heard good things about Oscar Herrero model, but it's dang expensive. I wonder how it compares to Beat Vibe. Maybe I can grab a cheap 8gb ipod touch for $100 bucks and load beat vibe on there for same value.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2010 0:28:50

Güiro

I use the Hydrogen programmable drum machine
http://www.hydrogen-music.org/ which is free. I have recorded and imported some same palma and cajon sounds and then program my own beats to fit the palo that I am working on.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2010 0:38:25

akatune

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jan. 13 2013 16:56:50
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2010 3:03:25

[Deleted] (in reply to VietFlamenco

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2010 3:07:20

Stu

RE: Flamenco Metronome (in reply to akatune

quote:

My advice is to spend heaps of dollars and get the most expensive on the market if you really want to play like Paco or Tomatito...

Is there a touch of sarcasm here Ron??

i had massive fun with jasons metronome doc compas. check it out!
http://www.doctorcompas.com/

quote:

Software flamenco metronomes - lots out there, take your pick, they're all about the same.

any links nealf?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2010 17:24:11

Adam

RE: Flamenco Metronome (in reply to Stu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stu

quote:

My advice is to spend heaps of dollars and get the most expensive on the market if you really want to play like Paco or Tomatito...

Is there a touch of sarcasm here Ron??

No, surely not.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2010 22:26:03

el prado

Hi Viet,

Check "metrotunerlive" at www.storemusic-live.com. Some of my classmates and I are using it, and we are quite happy with it.

Regards,
El Prado de Sevilla
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2010 1:39:02

Doitsujin

I use a metronome that does tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic...

Im happy with it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2010 18:16:40

XXX

RE: Flamenco Metronome (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doitsujin
tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic...

Thats only 11 tics. Sorry dude, your metronome is not in compas.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2010 18:44:51

gshaviv

RE: Flamenco Metronome (in reply to XXX

quote:

quote:

tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic...

Thats only 11 tics. Sorry dude, your metronome is not in compas.

I think the ... at the end is a silence beat, so if it's a seguiriya counted as 12 it's right in compas

Guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2010 19:35:20

Doitsujin

Man..how can one be so dumb... Everybody knows that a normal metronome does endless tic ...

6 setzen Deniz! (Wer braucht schon so compas metronom "SchnickSchnack"... lol) In the end it turns against you as we know from Scaramanga who used to have SchnickSchnack. It was usefull for some time but in the end... You just dont think far enough !

Ok.. thats my take on writing nonsense post.. huuuh.. man I could keep the average quality of my posts..

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2010 20:56:17

XXX

Oh you took my comment serious
Ok now im really serious: flamenco metronomes helped me much. Im using all kinds of things metronome, solo compas, my feet and yes also flamenco metronome (graf's one). It depends on the situation, sometimes i dont want to turn on the computer, then i just use my feet or something. But especially arranging things, to make them fit into compas, is much easier with the software.

Disadvantage is it can have runtime issues. I think Jasons one wont have these problems and when it comes out, im really considering buying it (or rather the "plugin" version for audio software which he also mentioned).

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2010 16:46:43

Ron.M

quote:

But especially arranging things, to make them fit into compas, is much easier with the software.

Hi Deniz,

That's what I developed the Flamenco Master program for...to be used mainly as a falseta analyzer (esp on complicated or difficult falsetas) rather than a metronome.
Hence the clear display arranged in two rows of 6's rather than a clock affair or flashing numbers.

The only run-time issues I know about happen because other background programs are running at the same time.

It's always been 100% stable with me. (on various computers)

As far as "sounds" go, it's just basic.

It was never intended to be a "backing percussion machine" for doing high quality recordings, but just as a learning aid.

For those with issues with the non-funky sounds (to me) seems like saying to your teacher when he's clapping out the compás to help you learn a falseta....."Hey man...do you think you could put some more tone and dynamics into your palmas...it's kinda boring what you're doing..."

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2010 17:35:58

NormanKliman

RE: Flamenco Metronome (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

The free one on this site is crap, as it only does "old school" Flamenco compás.

quote:

That's what I developed the Flamenco Master program for...to be used mainly as a falseta analyzer (esp on complicated or difficult falsetas) rather than a metronome.

I find it very useful for getting new or difficult falsetas up to speed. I use the same personalized settings for soleá, bulería and cantiñas (at different tempos). Palmas tracks sound cooler, but the slider control on the Flamenco Master program allows me to gradually and precisely speed up the tempo.

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2010 18:10:49

Doitsujin

quote:

Oh you took my comment serious

no
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2010 18:15:03

mezzo

for me too the flamenco master is a great tool to work on falseta. I use to learn the correct tempo of a falseta with it (always), because it allow me to understand visually how the trik works.
Then next step, i can play the falseta or the compas with a loop track.

For me FM rules!!
thks

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2010 18:21:34

XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M
Hence the clear display arranged in two rows of 6's rather than a clock affair or flashing numbers.

Of course its a great job youve done, and the best thing is its secure regarding runtime issues, which the graf one has.
The reason why the clock is better than any other concept is that it represents time better. The notes are equidistant and the next note is always the nearest note (in order of circulation). With two rows you have to "jump" to the beginning. One can get used to both concepts i think, but the clock is better when it comes to "anticipating" the time visually. Nerdy software metronomes just rule

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2010 18:43:53

Ron.M

I appreciate what you're saying Deniz...but I suppose it's because I don't hear 12 beat cycle falsetas in anything (eg Solea..Alegrias..Bulerias..) as being "linear"...
but splilt into groups of 6's...where (in it's simplest form) the first 6 "sets up" the phrase and the second six "finishes it off"...(or does so in multiples of 6).

Just my way of seeing it I suppose..

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2010 19:50:55

el prado

quote:

I use a metronome that does tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic...

Im happy with it.

quote:

Well, if you have a metronome that does tic tic....... and are happy with it, I suggest that you should try a vibrator that tickles tickles tickles ...... and will be even happier.

Don't take it to heart, take it somewhere else, Doitsujin.
El Prado de Sevilla
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2010 21:15:34

Doitsujin

RE: Flamenco Metronome (in reply to el prado

quote:

quote:

Well, if you have a metronome that does tic tic....... and are happy with it, I suggest that you should try a vibrator that tickles tickles tickles ...... and will be even happier.

Don't take it to heart, take it somewhere else, Doitsujin.
El Prado de Sevilla

lol ^^ You bad boy cite me wrong there prado. I never wrote that. It was you who wrote that.

Dont use your vibrators too much ,coz your brain cells shut down due to your ecstasy. Just a piece of advice son.

You just joined the forum (with your multiple accounts or friends) to promote your poor metronome that is useless. I would never pay for things I can have for free or wouldn´t use anyway. Nice try, but I predict that nobody here is dumb enough to pay for that rubbish.

I recommend the "weird metronome". Its for free and it plays any rhythm you need, even more complex ones than your vibrator can do.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2010 22:03:08

el prado

Being a serious student of music, I don't usually have enough time to deal with pessimistic loosers like you, doitsujin. so here goes my last advice:

A vibrator serves you better than a metronome, whether it be Oscar herrero's, Grafa Martines , Metrotunerlive, etc.

When the hell are you going to learn to talk only about the things you are a master of. I won't read your posts anymore unless you talk about vibratorology, for which you hold a Phd.

El Prado de Sevilla
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 4 2010 23:20:47

at_leo_87

RE: Flamenco Metronome (in reply to el prado

quote:

When the hell are you going to learn to talk only about the things you are a master of.

he's no master (who is? we're all learning) but having seen doit's youtube videos, i think his "tic tic tic" is doing just fine for him.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 5 2010 5:05:56

NormanKliman

RE: Flamenco Metronome (in reply to at_leo_87

quote:

...having seen doit's youtube videos...

What? I'd like to see them! Could you please post a link?

Thanks

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 5 2010 7:10:04

at_leo_87

RE: Flamenco Metronome (in reply to NormanKliman

quote:

What? I'd like to see them! Could you please post a link?

i hope doit doesn't mind me posting them but they're already on youtube. they're from the foro challenges.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 5 2010 14:39:21
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post