Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Charging for gigs   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

ronzy60

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Aug. 1 2010 19:10:05
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2010 15:12:41

Ron.M

RE: Charging for gigs (in reply to ronzy60

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2010 15:39:34

guido

RE: Charging for gigs (in reply to akatune

I do agree with carlos, if people can't hear you properly you may play like vicentito nunez de lucia without any response...
I would suggest a small amp with mic even in a restaurant gig for dinner. It's important that the sound is in the background but somehow omnipresent so that everybody can listen to it without crawling onto the stage. There are always people that would like to listen to the music but sitting at a table on the other side of the room. They will not eliminate the snobs at the first table...

For myself I use a chromacord XIV amp with mic, a small one that fits perfectly i.m.o, and I can expand it with loudspeakers if necessary.

slainte
guido
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2010 15:58:48

ronzy60

RE: Charging for gigs (in reply to Ron.M

Ron…

I apologise for that posting it was in bad taste.

Ronzy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2010 19:12:44

Ron.M

It's OK Ronzy..

I knew it couldn't have been you..since the guy was shouting and swearing in a Glasgwegian accent.

cheers,

Ron

Hey...where are you from?
North or South?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2010 19:25:47

ronzy60

Ron,
I live in Blackpool but I was born in Dublin.
Ronzy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2010 19:27:10

Ron.M

quote:

I apologise for that posting it was in bad taste.

Here's an even WORSE taste one...

Clement Freud.. (the Grandson of the famous Sigmund Freud) told this story of when he was about 7 years old and walking with his Grandfather on the outskirts of Hyde Park in London in the early 1930's.

He said that as they walked along the road, they saw this man who had taken ill and slid to the ground by the park railings and was having an epileptic seizure .

As he slid down, his hat had fallen off his head and passers by were putting coins into it.

He and his Grandfather stood for a few moments and observed the twitching man on the ground before moving on.

Clement said, "Grandad....why did we not give the man any money?"

"He wasn't good enough"..was the reply from old Sigmund.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2010 20:13:46

ronzy60

Ron…..

I’ve noticed in my short time on the Foro that you have an inexhaustible store of stories? ......I can't compete..

Cheers Ron…. I’m now off to the US to have an operation to try and save my sight….I have paid into the NHS for more than 5 years and I have to go abroad to have treatment....... Hopefully I will see you all soon.

Ronzy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2010 21:42:11

ronzy60

See what I mean....that should read 55 YEARS not 5.. I can't even type simple messages.
Ronzy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 1 2010 21:47:22

Ron.M

Hi Ronzy,

Wow! Sorry to hear about the eye problem!

Hope all goes well with the op and will hear from you on your return.

Good luck.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2010 8:32:31

akatune

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Aug. 10 2010 21:43:25
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2010 21:40:30

akatune

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 21 2012 22:13:35
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2010 21:44:30

akatune

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 21 2012 22:13:57
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2010 21:46:11

Ramon Amira

In the spirit of trying to help you as best we can, this is only my opinion El Erroneo, but I feel that your card is "erroneous." You have EL spelled with two caps / the S in "guitarrista" is the wrong size / the line drawing is not one that I would choose, but that's an individual preference.

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2010 22:50:30

Ramon Amira

P.S. I hope you have given enough thought to the stage name you have chosen. A stage name is not like some flamenco nickname that sometimes they were tagged with, like "El Loco Mateo," or something. With a stage name you have a choice. If I were translating this from Spanish, I think I might call it "The Mistaken One," or something like that. Is that what you wanted?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 10 2010 23:15:10

akatune

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 21 2012 22:14:30
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2010 2:57:11

Ramon Amira

In my original post I forgot to put a smiley after "erroneous," so that you would not misconstrue my toneo, Erroneo.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2010 3:49:10

HemeolaMan

that doesn't look very serious and to be honest, it looks really tacky.

If you want people to take you seriously, take advantage of the mystique of being a musician. Get some decent cards. the more professional they look, the less trouble you'll have. Look the part, be the part.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2010 4:00:55

gerundino63

Hi Akatune,

Making a card is a lot of trouble, I am sure you work it out.

Maybe a little tip;

the people that will hire you are mostly middle aged people. They are the ones with a lot of "extra "money they can afford to spend.

In the flamenco cene is not a lot of money to earn as a solo guitarist.
Or you must make your own flamenco cuadro or troup you can go on stage with.

A restaurant owner or Hotel owner or somebody else thatwill hire you for a longer time just want you to be on time and play. just that.
Never forget that they have to sell 4 beers to earn 1.

So, that in mind and remembering you do not make the card for yourself,
but for the futured costumer, probbably middleaged...

would you make the card in Spanish?
Is a nickname nessecary?
some older people do not like computers.
Maybe a telefone number?

I just want to give you some thoughts.....
As I said, I am sure you work it out, I very admire your spirit

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2010 8:17:47

XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: akatune
But, alas, no Gitano has given me a nickname, so I had to create one myself.

Really, is that so? I understand that it may sound not the same appealing having no spanish name for the general public, or the people who are going to hire you, but in the end, its just the "true" way if you know what i mean. Coz in the end when they ask you if youre spanish or latin... i dont know, i just find spanish names or nicknames a bit cheesy, when youre not spanish. IMO.

But i liked the text "guitarrista flamenco" - it has a great sound to it! One time somebody introduced me with that title to a spanish guy and it made me feel so proud (just because the way it sounds).

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2010 14:50:27

Ramon Amira

quote:

that doesn't look very serious and to be honest, it looks really tacky.

I had originally been trying to be a bit delicate, and didn't entirely say what I really thought, but sometimes in life it is more helpful to someone to be honest with him. Hemeola man is being honest with this statement, and so I have to say that I concur with what he says. The card simply doesn't look professional. You asked at the opening of this thread about being a professional. Part of that is how you present yourself, and your business card is an important part of your professional persona. There will be times when people who have never met you or heard you play will have your card in their hand, with nothing else to go by, and your card has to speak for you.

And despite the many comments from Foro members on this thread explaining that if you are being paid, then by definition you are a professional, you still refer to yourself as an amateur, and still consider yourself one. People will think no more of you than you think of yourself. Being a professional entails living up to the name in an entire range of ways – your appearance, demeanor, preparation, repertoire, and – your own psychological bearing. Having a "punk attitude" and using a self-deprecating stage name demeans not only yourself, but in a way it is also demeaning to the magnificent art of flamenco.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2010 15:34:16

Ron.M

quote:

It is translated as "The Mistake." It is meant to be humorous, a joke, a bit of the "punk" attitude.

I would agree with the others here, akatune..

Remember, people will be considering paying you a few hundred dollars for what to them is a very special day..(wedding, special event etc).

They'll be worried enough about the whole event going right, (meals, guest list etc) without having to worry about the entertainment being taken care of by someone who "doesn't take himself too seriously".

If they want a laugh, they'll hire a stand up comic.

Basically, to me, the card says "I'm not very confident about my skills, but I don't charge much, so please don't be too harsh in your criticism when I screw up.."

Sorry, but that's how it comes across!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2010 15:48:43

gj Michelob

quote:

I would agree with the others here, akatune..

‘hate to add negativity but, if you want some advice, the card and the vase need to be replaced by more proper and attractive means:

Someone is hiring your services for a fee. You must show respect for the employer through a professional performance; however, “presentation” is equally significant, as it defines who you are in the eyes of the beholder.

One should not confuse the discretion and whims available to a concert musician, with the much narrower scope available to a “gig artist” who is merely engaged to entertain in a private setting, such as restaurant, lounge or event. If you are a service provider certain rules and expectations will apply.

A business card introduces you but it also serves the purpose of developing further and additional work.

My point of view, in increasing order of importance:

1. Ideally a business card should be printed on thick paper with raised lettering, delivering a more refined texture than the “100 cards for $3”.
2. Any image, design, color, logo or other insignia you wish to add on the card should be carefully selected, as it conveys a message and perception about you. The childish caricature of the guitar is a mundane commonplace showing a rushed conclusion or failure of any creativity. If you need to use an image, choose something that clearly and elegantly speaks of your music and the “gifts” it will deliver.
3. You need to spell out your entire and legal name, it needs to show that you are a serious, responsible and accountable professional: “accountability” really is the critical word here.
4. A nick name evoking “error, mistake, blunder” predicts a faulty, unreliable hire. It brings to mind horror movies titles such as the “uninvited”. You ought to change that, and in any event, as an addition not a replacement of your name.
5. Mobile Phone number and email are a must;
6. Listing a Website is also expected, with sound samples, repertory, ensemble options.
7. The Japanese vase should be replaced (unless you play a far-eastern flamenco slant) by a more theme-coherent object, as in Spanish stuff… a matador’s hat perhaps (silly example, but squarely on point).

A “gig” is a service you render to your employer, not the time and place to impress adoring fans with the capricious rock-star-like behavior.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2010 16:54:23

akatune

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 21 2012 22:17:38
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2010 17:48:29

Ron.M

quote:

The nickname remains the main concern. But I had to put something other than a first name. I will not use my last name due to serious security and privacy concerns. As a metter of fact, I've actually had all personal and contact info erased off the internet. Unfortunately that's not negotiable.

Akatune,

Can you not just use a "symbol" instead of a name?...(like "The Artist Formerly Known As Prince") and go onstage in a mask and Zorro outfit and carve your symbol on the wall before you play?

That would be pretty cool...and no one would ever know who you were!

(Just like Batman and and Superman too..)

(Would be an interesting project at least.. )

quote:

But, ok, I'm not planning to rely on guitar for my income.

....a wise decision amigo...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2010 18:10:02

Ron.M

RE: Charging for gigs (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

however, “presentation” is equally significant, as it defines who you are in the eyes of the beholder.

Wise words thaar gj!

I wish I had known that years ago, before setting out on a professional career around the North of Scotland with my Afghan Hound as "Wee Jock McSpock, the Guitarrero Wi' The Flamenco Perro".

I thought a Zorro outfit with a kilt would be cool and had the dog dressed in a Flamenco dancer's dress as a bit of a novelty turn.

(BTW.."guitarrero" is an old school name for "guitarrista" as far as I know...but anyway in the Highlands and Islands, they all speak Gaelic anyway, so it didn't really matter....it sounded suitably "foreign".)

We had limited success, with the dog always going down really well with the crowd until one sad day the dog decided to split the duo up and embark on a solo career.

Guess that's the fickle fortunes of showbiz folks..

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2010 19:35:56

orsonw

As far as nicknames go, is it a gitano thing?

Why do some artists not use them like Gerardo Nunez, Ramon Jimenez, David Cerrezuela etc..?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2010 20:53:29

Mark2

I've had cards before, and have passed out many. I can't remember a single gig ever coming from a card, despite having done thousands of gigs, of which at least a few hundred were of the variety the OP is doing. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't have cards, but I think the fuss over them on this thread is over played. I also agree that the card Akatune has is not that great, but again, I don't really think it matters that much. People will ask for your card, take it, and you'll likely never hear from them again. In this day, if someone wants to hire you, they will google you, or call the restaurant where they saw you because they probably will lose your card anyway.

Agents are the ones in our area(SF bay) that control the best of this type of work, and although things such as the way you dress and present yourself are crucial, cards are not IME. Once an agent knows he can trust you, he doesn't care about cards, cd's pics, etc. People hire soloists for corporates and weddings through them based on the recommendation of the agent.

When I'm playing a gig with the band I work with, if someone asks for a card, we tell them it costs 15.00 and comes with a cd. Sometimes that sells a cd. After all, if they don't like the group enough to pay 15.00 for a cd, what chance is there that they are going to cough up 2k for a party?
Personally, I'd lose the nickname too. People outside flamenco circles don't know or care about them. Use your real name.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2010 21:45:37

akatune

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 21 2012 22:16:56
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 11 2010 23:21:40

HemeolaMan

if you want business cards with a serious professional design, i can help with that. pm me.

uvcards.com has great prices on printing.

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 12 2010 6:58:24
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote