Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

looking for blanca Hernandez y Aguado, l959.   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

etta

looking for blanca Hernandez y Aguad... 

In l960, I bought the H y A, l959 from Carlos Montoya. It was made for him and inscriibed, "especial para C. Montoya," and signed by Hernandez and Aguado. About 1974 I sold the guitar(bad nail issues) through a dealer in Nashville who said it went to a "folk singer" in N.Y. City????. I have regretted this stupid decision often, but especially since I have returned to flamenco after 40 plus years. If anyone has info about this unique guitar(H. y A., made less than a dozen blancas), please advise Jack....sheepbluff@live.com or 931-526-1472. Thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2010 15:13:20

BarkellWH

RE: looking for blanca Hernandez y A... (in reply to etta

How did you come to buy the H & A from Carlos Montoya? That must have been an interesting encounter. Carlos Montoya receives mixed reviews (to be charitable!) from Foro members and the flamenco community in general, with good reason. Nevertheless, I will always appreciate him for the fact that his albums and live performances back in the sixties were what initially interested me in flamenco guitar.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2010 15:58:25

etta

I will try to answer your question about buying the guitar from Montoya briefly. As a kid in TN I was somehow attracted to albums I picked up by Montoya and Sabicas; I finally got hold of a cheap classical, and listened and tried to copy the sounds from the albums with no instruction, no books, tapes, etc. This was the late 50's, and no one had a clue what flamenco was in my small town. A friend recorded me on reel to reel, and my mother, without my knowledge, sent the tape to my aunt in another state. The aunt saw Carlos on TV, called the network, got his address, and again without my knowledge, sent the tape to the Montoyas', Carlos and wife Sally. Aunt Fay sent the nice letter she received from Sally to my mom. She said she and Carlos were glad to see someone in our part of the country interested in flamenco. I was humiliated to think that the tape was heard by C. Montoya, but with the letter, I got his address, called information NYC (1960), and got through to them to see if they could tell me where to buy a real flamenco guitar which was unheard of in TN. To my great suprise they offered to sell me the Hernandez y Aquado which they said they had just brought back from Madrid that summer. I was dumbfounded, said I would call back, did some quick research at the library, and did make a deal. Delivery took a long time; they hired a carpenter to come to their appartment, build a wooden crate, and the guitar was shipped by rail to me. I have never been so excited as I was the day the depot called. I knew it was a great guitar even though I was never to see a real one again for many, many years. On weekends when everyone left the dorm, I would get at the top of the stairwell, and let it roar. I never found a teacher, a book, tape, etc. but here in TN no one really knew anymore than I did at that time. I only performed 2-3 times, but did win a talent contest at my university my senior year. By the mid 70's my nails gave way, and my musical interest turned another direction. I cannot forgive myself for letting that great instrument go. Only fifteen months ago, new to retirement, I tried flamenco again. Now there are wonderful internet resources, etc. etc. I have probably learned more these months than I did many years ago in the TN "black hole" of flamenco. I now have several nice flamenco guitars, just returned from two weeks in S. Spain, and the guitar has again become a driving force of my existence. Please excuse me for this long, and perhaps too personal, reply. thanks, Jack PS In 1982 I was playing music for three weeks, not flamenco, at the Knoxville World Fair. Carlos performed a major concert, and I was able to get to their dressing room to meet them. He still did not speak English, but I was able to visit briefly with them, but could not bring myself to tell them I no longer had the guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2010 20:28:49

BarkellWH

What a great story! I imagine you do regret letting go of that guitar. Hope you eventually find it and take possession again.

I, too, am retired, after spending a career in the U.S. Foreign Service and State Department. Since I was 17 I have played guitar, mostly the old three-chord folk music. But I always loved flamenco guitar. As I mentioned, Carlos Montoya introduced me to it, and I eagerly bought his albums and saw him in performance three times in those early days. A lot of flamencos do not consider Montoya very good because he does not keep compas, uses too much ligado and tremolo, etc., etc., but I will always appreciate him for introducing a kid from Arizona to a new and exciting art form.

I now study flamenco guitar with a guitarist named Paco de Malaga, here in the Washington, DC area. After I retired, I figured I should learn it, after having spent a lifetime listening to it. I have three flamenco guitars myself. It's a great way to spend retirement!

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 29 2010 21:11:33
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages