Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

[Deleted]   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

[Deleted] (in reply to HolyEvil

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2010 11:48:28

NormanKliman

RE: Gerardo Nunez injury? (in reply to Ricardo

Thanks for the info Ricardo. I heard two guitarists say that Gerardo was in Madrid back in the early days of Caño Roto and got some ideas from there. I think it's probably true, but I don't know any details, like if he was living or working in Madrid or something.

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2010 13:19:43

Ricardo

RE: Gerardo Nunez injury? (in reply to NormanKliman

quote:

ORIGINAL: NormanKliman

Thanks for the info Ricardo. I heard two guitarists say that Gerardo was in Madrid back in the early days of Caño Roto and got some ideas from there. I think it's probably true, but I don't know any details, like if he was living or working in Madrid or something.

Based on my ears, I would say that is true, although, Gerardo's ideas seemed pretty solid and set in stone back in 87 before I even heard any of the caña roto guys. But doesn't mean he did not get inspired by THEM first. Most likely, like Cepero PDL and Tomatito, bumping elbows on stage and with dancers, they all rubbed off on each other.

Gerardo still lives in madrid, but in summers he migrates to the beach in sanlucar. Plus he is so close to his birth place jerez down there. Now he has the theater spot in Trebujuena as well. Manolo, as you can imagine, thinks of little sanlucar as "his" town, and the idea of Gerardo setting up camp there, with his technique level and musicality and approachablity, probably got Manolo's feathers ruffled years ago. I heard that in the early years of Gerardo's curso, Manolo did make an appearance to one or some of Gerardo's juergas (for the students).

in 2007 we saw Manolo perform and afterwards was hanging out with moraito in a local bar that many of us hang out at as well. I am sure Manolo was aware the dozens of guiris hanging out were part of Gerardo's class, and he seemed pretty easy going let us take pictures and stuff.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2010 14:05:57

henrym3483

quote:

n 2007 we saw Manolo perform and afterwards was hanging out with moraito in a local bar that many of us hang out at as well. I am sure Manolo was aware the dozens of guiris hanging out were part of Gerardo's class, and he seemed pretty easy going let us take pictures and stuff.

Ricardo

for a guy like me on his first trip to spain meeting these guys was like a dream come true. likewise it was great to meet alot of foro people for the first time. i would like to do manolo's course some year but it always seems to be on at the same time gerardo's course is running.

i heard manolo never played in the sanlucar because he did a concert a few years back and very few people turned up to the event. as i can remember that concert was his first for a very long time and it was literally packed.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2010 15:23:07

Ricardo

RE: Gerardo Nunez injury? (in reply to henrym3483

quote:

as i can remember that concert was his first for a very long time and it was literally packed.

Well, don't forget the guys who opened for him....Arcangel, Jose Merce and Moraito! But it was cool to see it packed at 2am when Manolo took the stage finally.

But nothing like having a juerga with Gerardo Nuñez, jesus mendez, and friends round midnight, then take a stroll down to the beach to catch a bit of Manolo Sanlucar and Moraito, etc, then some more juerga in the bar with Arcangel afterwards till 7 am. Good times to say the least huh henry?

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2010 16:12:22

mark indigo

RE: Gerardo Nunez injury? (in reply to NormanKliman

quote:

I heard two guitarists say that Gerardo was in Madrid back in the early days of Caño Roto and got some ideas from there.

as to moving to Madrid, i have sleeve notes on a compilation that says of Gerardo "In 1983 he worked with Mario Maya and, definitely settled in Madrid, he began experimenting with other musical forms, collaborating with jazz musicians Tomás San Miguel and Jorge Pardo."

i think in a recent thread about Caño Roto someone (was it Ricardo?) said Gerardo had influenced the Caño Roto scene with altered tunings. But Paco was also already using altered tunings on Solo Quiero Caminar LP (as well as Alegrías in Drop D and Mantilla De Fería on Fantasia), so could both Gerardo and Caño Roto have been influenced by Paco and/or influenced each other?

reading interviews with artists from around that time (early 80's) it sounds like Madrid was a big melting pot of influence, with everyone going to each other's gigs and influencing each other

also re Caño Roto, Enrique De Melchor toured with PDL in the seventies, and also was taken under the wing of El Viejín's Uncle Nani working in Tablao in Madrid, so there's some influence there of Caño Roto, Enrique De Melchor and PDL.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2010 1:22:01

Ricardo

RE: Gerardo Nunez injury? (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

But Paco was also already using altered tunings on Solo Quiero Caminar LP (as well as Alegrías in Drop D and Mantilla De Fería on Fantasia),

I meant tunings on Nuñez first album like CGCGBE, and later low C, low B, EbAbDbGBE, etc...

I agree everyone could be influence on everyone else, back and forth in Madrid. Going back to Montoya and Borull days even.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2010 6:16:06

NormanKliman

quote:

Plus he is so close to his birth place jerez down there.

Just 44km. You probably heard that Manolo's dad used to do the full 88 on bicycle to study with Javier Molina.

quote:

EbAbDbGBE

Wow. I'm not really into different tunings, but I'm having fun just thinking about that one!

quote:

also re Caño Roto, Enrique De Melchor toured with PDL in the seventies, and also was taken under the wing of El Viejín's Uncle Nani working in Tablao in Madrid...

Thanks Mark, that's something I've wanted to know for a while now. I'd heard that Enrique de Melchor was closely associated with Caño Roto, but it never made much sense to me or to a few other people.

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2010 7:11:45

mark indigo

quote:

I meant tunings on Nuñez first album like CGCGBE, and later low C, low B, EbAbDbGBE, etc...

yeah, but i'm wondering if Gerardo influenced Caño Roto with those, or if he picked up those ideas from them, or if both were influenced by Paco to experiment with altered tunings, and Gerardo came up with those. Gerardo's use of low B is different to Viejín's, no?

quote:

I'd heard that Enrique de Melchor was closely associated with Caño Roto, but it never made much sense to me or to a few other people.

Norman, I just checked the source for that, it says;

"When my father worked at "Los Canasteros" there was a guy there that played really well, called "El Nani". We all knew him. When I saw him I was really impressed with his playing. He asked me, "Aren't you going to play like your father?". I just played a little, practically nothing. So I said, "I don't know. I'm studying." So he showed me a falseta and I was hooked."

He goes on to say he stayed in Madrid from then, and that he toured with Paco later on. And guess what? at the bottom it says "Translation: Norman Paul Kliman"!!! link is here:
http://www.flamenco-world.com/artists/melchor/melchor.htm
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2010 11:32:12

NormanKliman

Oh... yes, of course. My favorite part of that is:

Enrique's father: Melchor de Marchena.

Studying wasn't a routine with him. He was so in love with the guitar, if he didn't have any work he'd pick up the guitar and play for hours by himself. He liked playing, like few people do, because with the guitar you reach a point where.... There are two ways to study the guitar, one is where you play for your own enjoyment, and the other is when you force yourself to study it. I prefer the first way, of course. Unfortunately you've got to maintain a certain level, and you might have to force yourself to study it, and that's not good.

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2010 14:16:37
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote