Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

And now for something completely different.......   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

And now for something completely dif... 

This an electric Saz I maintain for Trey Spruance the leader of the band Secret Chiefs 3. My buddy John Beal created it by grafting a Turkish saz neck onto a Danelectro Longhorn hollow body electric. John is actually a full time Russian orthodox priest who I went to college with. He messes around with guitar design, but is mainly a priest.

He made a fragile connection between the body and the neck and last year when Trey was on tour with his band the neck snapped off on stage in Frankfurt Germany. Trey was holding the neck to the body with one hand and finished the set that way. This particular guitar/saz is famous and has become a kind of trademark of Trey's band Secret Chiefs 3. If you Youtube SC3 you can see lots of live footage of him playing it in concert.

I rebuilt the body neck connection and simplified it. I cut the headstock down and created a more guitar like peg head by grafting two pieces on each side and reshaping them. I installed a set of off the shelf Fender Strat tuning machines and restrung it with heavier electric guitar strings. Before I cut the headstock down the overall length of the guitar was 48''! there was not a case that could handle the guitar and Trey used to take it on tour wrapped in blankets! I cut 4.5 inches off and remade the headstock. I took the guitar over to Fat Dog's music shop in Berkeley CA and asked the guys what they had laying around that this instrument would fit in. Turns out a Gibson 335 case fit it like a glove.

Trey came to pick it up two weeks ago before SC3 left on the current tour of Eastern Europe and Istanbul. I've received several Facebook notes from his fans saying they were glad the saz-guitar was back in action. I'm going to make one of these for myself, eventually. They are a blast to play.

Check it out

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2010 9:50:35

Ron.M

RE: And now for something completely... (in reply to estebanana

Interesting work Estebanana!

Man, that's the skinniest neck I think I've ever seen!

Can you imagine a Flamenco guitar with a neck as skinny as that?

Yer a talented fellow Stephen.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2010 10:03:12

estebanana

Thanks Ron, if you have a foundation of a few skills you can do a lot. Guitars are easy, now if I just had a talent for getting laid that would be great.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2010 10:34:08

Ron.M

BTW...Is that Ricardo under that beard and mustache?

(Bit of moonlighting with rock bands in Europe, eh? )

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2010 11:53:20

mrMagenta

Cool instrument. I used to listen to SC3 and I like them. Crazy stuff. They have some connection to Mike Patton?

I have a small regular saz, I love playing it but I can't claim to I know what I'm doing. I like making up my own tunings for the courses and just play some lines over a drone, trying to stick in the quarter tones where I can. I'm Faketurko™

ps. Is that a baroque guitar on the shelf?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2010 22:41:43

estebanana

RE: And now for something completely... (in reply to mrMagenta

quote:

ps. Is that a baroque guitar on the shelf?

Sorry I forgot to answer this sooner. The instrument on the shelf is a vihuela I built in 1999. It has tied gut frets and is vihuela in G with a 60cm scale. I'm up for building more of them I've made three so far. A lot of fun to build. I have some sound clips of one of them on a another hard drive I need to save.

Also not sure when, but I think Trey played for a while with Mike Patton in Faith No More.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 12 2010 13:12:10

Anders Eliasson

Nice saz.

I´ve played one as well many years ago. Cool instrument, especially if you are just a plain faketurco not knowing what you are doing.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 12 2010 23:52:51
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote