Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

2004 Tom Blackshear 'Reyes'   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

avimuno

2004 Tom Blackshear 'Reyes' 

Hello everyone,

I should probably be posting this in the review section, but since it is also relevant for this section, I'll post in both.

I have acquired a 2004 Blackshear 'Reyes' about 5 months ago and I wanted to share my experience and impressions of this guitar after having played it heavily over the past 5 months.
It is the first 'Reyes' that Tom built and it's the very guitar he talks about on his website.
The previous owner had the neck flattened to be more like a Conde's neck (which is very confortable to play for long periods of time). The job was expertly done by German Vasquez Rubio, on the recommendation of Tom.
He also had Tom do some further fine-tuning to the top.

The craftmanship is flawless. It's a beautiful guitar that has been expertly put together by Tom using the best possible materials. I have owned a number of good guitars in the past, namely: a Kenny Hill 'Reyes', a Conde (Felipe V), an Antonio Raya Pardo and a Hermanos Sanchis Lopez 1F... all blancas.
I can honestly say that Tom's craftmanship is up there with the best of them.

Now the interesting part... playability and sound.
One thing I usually find very important for me is the tension/pulsation of the guitar. Tension that's too low does not give you a good 'definition' in the sound, especially when pushed. And tension that's too high is simply quite painful on the right hand.
The Blackshear's tension is perfect for me... higher than the Hill, Raya Pardo and Sanchis Lopez, but lower than the Conde, which I thought was way too high... even compared to my teacher's Pedro de Miguel and other Condes I have played in the past.
The Blackshear just 'feels' right. It's loose enough for powerful rasgeados but stiff enough for each note to retain its definition when I dig in with my right hand. I string the guitar with high tension trebles and normal tension basses, and it's exactly the way I like it: perfect for my dance studio gig. If I'm playing a 'solo' gig, I usually just put a high tension set on there and it also does a great job.

Soundwise it's an amazing guitar... period! I have never played a real Reyes so I cannot compare it to one. The closest thing to it I guess would be the Kenny Hill 'Reyes', which in my opinion, although being a good instrument, is not at the level of the Blackshear.
The guitar has crystalline bell-like trebles and rich/'loose' basses... it sounds very close to Tomatito's Reyes IMHO: not as agressive as Vicente's but with a 'bigger' sound.
Overall the sound could be described as rich, earthy and as having a lot of depth to it. It's both mellow/sweet and aggressive when you need it to be, which is quite unique. It's also full of harmonic overtones which is not common in flamenco blancas, but which works great in this particular design. For example, my friend who's a concert classical guitarist loved it because it could get a sound rich enough for classical guitar, but without being overly 'round' and mellow.
At the same time, the guitar is so loud and aggressive that the other guitarist at the dance studio have to mic up his Sanchis Carpio to be able to be heard over the Blackshear.

All in all, I can honestly say that it's the best guitar I have ever owned. I will never part with that one, and I am really curious as to what the negra version would sound like... maybe one day!

Saludos!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 2 2010 12:24:21

[Deleted] (in reply to avimuno

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 2 2010 16:33:02

avimuno

RE: 2004 Tom Blackshear 'Reyes' (in reply to avimuno

Hi nealf,

I don't know how the original setup was so I cannot comment on that. It is pretty nice now however, but as you said, I did get it after the modifications.
As for the neck, if it was shaped like the Kenny Hill 'Reyes' then I would definitely have flattened it a bit... the Reyes neck is known to be round, which suits some people but I tend to prefer flatter necks, a la Conde.
Take care
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 2 2010 17:03:46

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: avimuno

Hi nealf,

I don't know how the original setup was so I cannot comment on that. It is pretty nice now however, but as you said, I did get it after the modifications.
As for the neck, if it was shaped like the Kenny Hill 'Reyes' then I would definitely have flattened it a bit... the Reyes neck is known to be round, which suits some people but I tend to prefer flatter necks, a la Conde.
Take care

For everyones' information, this was the very first guitar I built of the Reyes style and I copied it exactly as it was from the maker. But I have since altered the action to be lower at the bridge and fingerboard, and the neck contour to be more like the Conde. The first guitar gave me the experience I needed to continue on with the series of 4 guitars that I built in that style. Now, I build very similar but not quite to the 2003 pattern. I use my own head design and Spanish rosette styles.

However, I'm building a flamenco negra for Grisha to try out at the Austin GFA festival in June this year. It will have a Spruce top with the Reyes style rosette and head design but with fan braces set off a little from the original 2003; a little more like one of his '87 patterns. The guitar will be done top of the line, so we'll see how Grisha likes the playing action, etc.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 3 2010 19:12:31

avimuno

Hi Tom,

Is there a major difference between the 2003 Reyes and the 1987 Reyes in the bracing pattern and the fine-tuning of the top?
Is the 87 design really more aggressive?
Thanks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 3 2010 21:00:11

Tom Blackshear

quote:

Hi Tom,

Is there a major difference between the 2003 Reyes and the 1987 Reyes in the bracing pattern and the fine-tuning of the top?
Is the 87 design really more aggressive?
Thanks.

I don't know but I'll let you know when I'm finished with it. I've been told that V. Amigo plays a Reyes model in that time frame. But due to the slight differences in the patterns, I would suppose that there is going to be a little difference with the sound. I got the plan from a friend of mine, and this will be a first time build for me. I'm using about the same brace wood mass to top ratio but slight changes in the fan brace positions. And of course I'll be using solid linings as usual to help the volume a little.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 4 2010 4:22:00

chapman_g

I have a 2007 Blackshear and the set up is much better than a 2005 Blackshear Reyes Model I owned. Strings over the soundboard at the bridge 8.5mm and at the soundhole 10mm. Action at the 12 fret bass side 3mm and at the treble 2.9mm

What are the measurements at the bridge, soundhole, and 12th fret bass and treble side now that your 2004 was worked on.

Tom, what do you think is an ideal set up in terms of these measurements?

I have to say that Tom's guitars have been the most powerful guitars that I have owned with real volume and projection, and I have done tests in concert halls and noisy places and the Blackshear's have won, and the playability of the 2007 I have is good, but my Salvador Castillos are easier to play with ample volume in my opinion. The measurements on those are more like 8mm at the bridge 9mm at the soundhole with 2.9 at the 12 fret bass side and 2.7 at the 12th fret treble side. I mailed my 2005 Blackshear Reyes to Salvador in Mexico to have him work the neck and set up like was done to the 2004 mentioned above, but the Mexican customs insisted the Salvador pay the equivalent of $300.00 u.s. to receive the guitar so he had to send it back without doing the work. I sold the guitar through Dave Tate at GSI. Strings over the soundboard at the bridge was 11mm and over the soundboard at the soundhole 12.5mm with action of 3.5mm and 3.1mm on bass and treble side and I used it for classical for a while. But now I'm just TRYING to be a flamenco.

I will upload some Solea on the 2007 Blackshear soon. I am getting a little more on my game lately.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 4 2010 5:39:43

Tom Blackshear

RE: 2004 Tom Blackshear 'Reyes' (in reply to chapman_g

quote:

ORIGINAL: chapman_g

I have a 2007 Blackshear and the set up is much better than a 2005 Blackshear Reyes Model I owned. Strings over the soundboard at the bridge 8.5mm and at the soundhole 10mm. Action at the 12 fret bass side 3mm and at the treble 2.9mm

What are the measurements at the bridge, soundhole, and 12th fret bass and treble side now that your 2004 was worked on.

Tom, what do you think is an ideal set up in terms of these measurements?

<Snip>

I have to say that I'm now building the bass side with about 8.5 to 9 mm at the bridge and about 2.5 to 3 mm at the 12th fret. And at the sound hole, about 9-10 mm. And you'll have to ask the owner of the 2004 what his measurements are.

The original 2003 Reyes measurements were 11 mm at the bridge, 12 at the sound hole and 3 mm at the 12th fret, but with room to lower the action if necessary.

It was almost if Reyes planned it that way for when the fingerboard curved up with age; the action could be lowered from the bridge area without having to rework the board. But at that time, the bridge action was a little high and could not be lowered until the board pulled up some with age. These are my thoughts.

I might add that there is so much lowering I can do before I would have to redesign the top to accommodate the torque of the strings, which are J46 D'Addario high tension strings.

There has to be some height to the strings to give it more volume. I could keep the top straight from the bridge to the 12th fret but this would mean that there would be some volume loss. The string height over the sound hole is higher for a reason.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 4 2010 11:36:53

avimuno

The measurements on my guitar are as follows:

- at the bridge: 8mm
- at the soundboard: 10mm
- at the 12th fret: 3mm

I find the setup to be very comfortable. I did wish it could be around 2-2.5mm at the 12th fret, but I play with a capo 99% of the time and this lowers the action so it really works very well in the end.

As I mentioned in my review, the guitar is uber-loud and has amazing projection.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 4 2010 18:22:06

Tom Blackshear

quote:

The measurements on my guitar are as follows:

I find the setup to be very comfortable. I did wish it could be around 2-2.5mm at the 12th fret, but I play with a capo 99% of the time and this lowers the action so it really works very well in the end.

As I mentioned in my review, the guitar is uber-loud and has amazing projection.

Getting 2 to 2.5 at the 12th fret would stress the rajo a little bit when most players like a clean sound. Some stiffer tops can tolerate it but mine pump a lot of air and its difficult to set the articulation real low and get enough volume and clarity.

I could make a thicker top but this would cause less volume and projection. Its a trade off to some extent. Thin tops give a wider variety of duende if they are fine tuned right. This is where certain fine tuning skills come into play.

And this is what makes my guitars different from many other makers. We are all seeking to be unique in our work.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2010 10:09:54

Anders Eliasson

I agree with Tom

2 - 2,5mm only works on very stiff guitars. And they are not specially interesting to play unless you´re a speed scaler.
I normally use some 2,8mm, but some players with strong hands and pulsation might need 3mm or even up to 3,5mm

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2010 11:10:46

estebanana

quote:

Yep, that's where I like them too.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2010 11:20:14

gj Michelob

quote:

Is the height at the nut of any consequence?
Jason made that point as i complained to Stephen (Estebana) of a certain discomfort i experienced with my Vazquez Rubio.

My Conde Hermanos has a 2mm at the 12th, and I love it that way. However, it does have a thick top, as Tom suggested as a suitable relation between height and top-stiffness.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2010 11:33:43

Ramon Amira

quote:

I don't understand this statement, and others who have complained about a "bulky" neck. I have played original Manuel Reyes guitars, and the neck was neither round nor bulky. Here is a quote from Manuel Reyes himself on the subject, from an extraordinary interview in the book "The Flamenco Guitar" by David George.

"The format of my mastil is a little bit flatter towards the center, for good reasons . . . . . A flatter mastil, being less round, affords better placement of the thumb."

Yet Tom Blackshear says he copied his "Reyes" model exactly like the original. This is very confusing, and I wonder where the correct answer lies.

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 17:03:43

estebanana

Ramon,

Builders change over the years, he might have changed his neck to suit a certain player. What Reyes did in 1966 is substantially different, in details like neck thickness, than what he did in the late 1980's.

When David George wrote that Reyes was working out Barbero and Santos for himself. I've seen and measured guitars from that time and there is a range of bracing patterns and details that can change for guitar to guitar, but still be basically Reyes' ideas and mood.

Cheers mate, (haha)
Stephen

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 17:49:54

Ramon Amira

RE: 2004 Tom Blackshear 'Reyes' (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Builders change over the years, he might have changed his neck to suit a certain player. What Reyes did in 1966 is substantially different, in details like neck thickness, than what he did in the late 1980's.

Right. That's certainly true, and makes sense. But some of the statements are blanket statements – "Reyes' necks are round" etc. As I said, I have played Reyes guitars that did not fit that description, but those were from the eighties. So in conjunction with your excellent observation, the question that naturally arises here is what year was the Reyes that Tom Blackshear copied and distributed a plan for.

Apart from general interest in construction, one of the reasons I'm interested is that a student of mine is contemplating buying a Francisco Navarro "Reyes," and he asked my advice. I have never played one, but if it had a round, bulky neck I would advise him against it. I don't know how closely Francisco Navarro is following the Blackshear plan, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what the neck is like on a Navarro Reyes.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 18:23:34

Ramon Amira

P.S. I just remembered that that interview with Manuel Reyes was conducted in the sixties, so even in the sixties Reyes was advocating a flatter neck.

Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 18:27:02

Tom Blackshear

RE: 2004 Tom Blackshear 'Reyes' (in reply to Ramon Amira

quote:

I don't know how closely Francisco Navarro is following the Blackshear plan, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what the neck is like on a Navarro Reyes.

The last time I played Francisco's guitars his necks and fingerboard actions were comfortable, not bulky. And I have to say that, for the money, you will have a hard time finding a better deal.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 18:48:39

Ramon Amira

Thanks for the info Tom.

What about the action on the FN Reyes model. Here is a quote from a member about his new Navarro student model, who apparently was considering also buying the FN Reyes model. –

" 1) I find the bridge on my student model guitar to be a bit low. Is this similar to his Reyes model?

2) My guitar came with the action set way high and had to go get it readjusted for an extra $150. How is the setup on the Reyes model?"

What do you make of these comments about a low bridge and high action, and do they apply to the Navarro Reyes?

Thanks
Ramon

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 19:10:04

Tom Blackshear

RE: 2004 Tom Blackshear 'Reyes' (in reply to Ramon Amira

quote:

What do you make of these comments about a low bridge and high action

You should call Ron Hudson, the primary distributor for Navarro guitars, at Memorial Music in Houston Texas, and give him the measurements that you require, and see if he can accommodate you. 713-461-1060

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2012 19:17:45

Ricardo

All I can say is...Loud guitars? Filing necks?? $150 to lower a bone saddle???????

Nunez waited for years to get his reyes, didn't like the neck much and filed it himself...still didn't like it and sold. I will say the reyes and reyes jr guitars I played had same design....a flat in the center type neck which was very weird. Like playing a 2x4. Condes are ALL ROUND....so I don't get all the filing....unless what folks REALLY MEAN is that they file Reyes necks in attempt to ROUND THEM like a normal freakin guitar.

Sound wise Castillo was closer to Reyes than any Reyes copies I have ever played. Except the neck.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 8:37:26

Doitsujin

RE: 2004 Tom Blackshear 'Reyes' (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

$150 to lower a bone saddle???????

Lol.. that should be "service for free" like it is here at my guitar maker of trust... Some people are really greedy.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 10:18:59

Ruphus

Indeed, like two German luthiers, one of which I asked to thin the top of a guitar and then renew the tops finish, the second of which I inquired for refreshing my old Ramirez tops finish.

Both must have been valuabling their profession like nuclear science, considering the prices they asked for. As if they were waiting for dumbs to come by and just play poker game with the rest of potential customers. If you agree: Lucky strike; if you don´t they still can do without you.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 11:01:58

Tom Blackshear

RE: 2004 Tom Blackshear 'Reyes' (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doitsujin

quote:

$150 to lower a bone saddle???????

Lol.. that should be "service for free" like it is here at my guitar maker of trust... Some people are really greedy.

I hardly bother to ask for free stuff if I need someone to work on my air-conditioner or kitchen appliance, even though most of the parts aren't that expensive. Labor is how service people make a living. And this is how they feed their families.

But nonetheless, flamenco guitarists are the most critical of any instrumentalists when it comes to buying guitars and paying what they are worth. This is one good reason I build more classical guitars...otherwise I'd starve.

And it's my experience that most guitar players are tone deaf, except for the very few that can actually hear nuance in the voice.

But I will admit that $150 to lower an already existing bone saddle is a bit much. But then again, it depends on the circumstances of the operation, and the amount of time it took. Time is money. And whether the player was there driving the repairman crazy while he was trying to do his work

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 12:44:54

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

All I can say is...Loud guitars? Filing necks?? $150 to lower a bone saddle???????

Nunez waited for years to get his reyes, didn't like the neck much and filed it himself...still didn't like it and sold. I will say the reyes and reyes jr guitars I played had same design....a flat in the center type neck which was very weird. Like playing a 2x4. Condes are ALL ROUND....so I don't get all the filing....unless what folks REALLY MEAN is that they file Reyes necks in attempt to ROUND THEM like a normal freakin guitar.

Sound wise Castillo was closer to Reyes than any Reyes copies I have ever played. Except the neck.

The neck style I've grown to love is a gentle horizon across its surface and it drops off a little right before the edges on both sides. This is extremely comfortable for my left hand work. The neck/fingerboard thickness is about 21.5 mm at the nut and about 26.5 at the 7th fret, on a taper. The reason for the taper is that it causes some vibration, similar to a fishing pole that whips back and forth, micro fractional of course.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 13:02:36

Doitsujin

RE: 2004 Tom Blackshear 'Reyes' (in reply to Tom Blackshear

quote:

I hardly bother to ask for free stuff if I need someone to work on my air-conditioner or kitchen appliance, even though most of the parts aren't that expensive. Labor is how service people make a living. And this is how they feed their families.

But nonetheless, flamenco guitarists are the most critical of any instrumentalists when it comes to buying guitars and paying what they are worth. This is one good reason I build more classical guitars...otherwise I'd starve.

And it's my experience that most guitar players are tone deaf, except for the very few that can actually hear nuance in the voice.

I agree. Must not be for free since its their job.. and that needs to get paid. But properly not greedy, as you also mentioned. I always wonder about such high prices...wouldn´t it be better to lower the prices to make "more" people come to you and do business instead of makeing high prices and lowering the number of customers in return? What makes more money? I don´t know since I have no economical degree...but I could imagine lower prices and a little bit more work pays of more.

To the flamenco guitarists that are tone deaf and them who don´t appreciate prices, I think..in flamenco we want to use guitars to play them whereas classical guitarists dont actually use them to play but to fap one off over a sharp cis without snoring. Thats the difference.. I thing to fap one off you look for details whereas for flamenco we need good guitars but there is more room for rough sound and uneven things... I hope you understand..its really hard to describe.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 14:54:13

Tom Blackshear

RE: 2004 Tom Blackshear 'Reyes' (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

To the flamenco guitarists that are tone deaf and them who don´t appreciate prices, I think..in flamenco we want to use guitars to play them whereas classical guitarists dont actually use them to play...............

My experience is that all guitarists appreciate good tone, for those who can hear it, but with different actions and ambiente.

With classical guitarists, they are into a wider range of musical compositions, and better tonal characteristics will always inspire them.

Flamenco players are compelled to play certain rhythms that speak to their hearts, and although they may not be able to explain it verbally, they can still show their feeling for the music by the way they play it.

And for this to happen, to its peak performance, proper tone and articulation are very important.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 15:43:25

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

The neck style I've grown to love is a gentle horizon across its surface and it drops off a little right before the edges on both sides. This is extremely comfortable for my left hand work. The neck/fingerboard thickness is about 21.5 mm at the nut and about 26.5 at the 7th fret, on a taper. The reason for the taper is that it causes some vibration, similar to a fishing pole that whips back and forth, micro fractional of course.

In my experience, good flamenco players are much less tolerant about sound and feel than classical players.....simply cuz they play faster and harder and need response immediately with not much fuss, so they are so picky. I would say flamenco "tone" is way more specific than what consitutes "good tone" to classical players. Think of this....the bone saddle means almost nothing to a classical player so long as the action over the fingerboard is acceptable. First thing flamenco player does is inspect the bridge and if its milimeters off then its a simple head shake "no good, not flamenco".

Then a few chord strums with golpe, and that's it, the decision if the guitar is muy flameco or firewood is made.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 17:38:27

Tom Blackshear

quote:

In my experience, good flamenco players are much less tolerant about sound and feel than classical players.....simply cuz they play faster and harder and need response immediately with not much fuss, so they are so picky. I would say flamenco "tone" is way more specific than what consitutes "good tone" to classical players. Think of this....the bone saddle means almost nothing to a classical player so long as the action over the fingerboard is acceptable. First thing flamenco player does is inspect the bridge and if its milimeters off then its a simple head shake "no good, not flamenco".

I don't find much here to disagree with and most guitarists in general would agree with it, whether classical or flamenco.

But a good flamenco guitarist will catch the sound, as inspiration, as well as classical players. Tone and articulation is very important, as a player.

If a flamenco player finds the sound he likes then it would be hard to separate him from his guitar, until he gets carried away by some frivolous act of compulsion and trades or sells his baby, usually for a loss, for something totally unrelated to his prized possession

I've seen classical guitarists do the same. Trade a more expensive model for a guitar they can't live without.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 19:27:39

Doitsujin

fap fap :)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2012 22:01:44
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread