Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Jim Opfer

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Guest

quote:

As for not having heard of DeVoe and Brune

Both very fine makers producing wonderful guitars.

Lester has built up a tremendos reputation with his flamenco guitars being played by Paco, Vicente and , Auch! well why not mention dear ol' Juan Martin.

Paco plays his Lester DeVoe on Carlos Saura 'Flamenco' video, very nice indeed.

Problem with American makers for Spanish players is that the guitars can't be taken back easily for adjustment or repair. That's why most top players use local made guitars as their preferred working instrument.

Vicente/Reyes
Nino de Pura/Barba
Madrid players/Conde
etc.

A bit generalised but hope you get the idea.

Cheers
Jim
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2004 23:06:54

[Deleted] (in reply to Jim Opfer

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2004 15:04:38

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Jim Opfer

Keith Vizcarra, of Santa Fe, makes flamenco guitars that are quite pricy $7000, and his waiting list is 4 years! So he must be doing something right. Ottmar Liebert plays his guitars, although Keith concedes that Ottmar doesn't really want "traditional" flamenco guitars. I played one and it was by far the best guitar I have ever touched! It had the feel, it was like butter, so smooth and easy, powerful and the tone, to me, was like the raspy voice of someone born to sing cante jondo!

I have always assumed the flamenco tone on the gutiar was something you just had to kind of figure out, that it was really the attack of the fingers on the strings, but a good classical player told me...no it's the guitar, there are guitars that just sound flamenco that's how they are made. I wonder if this is true. if so....I need a new guitar!

And do you have to spend a lot of $ to get a guitar that sounds flamenco? It hardly seems logical, as I was under the impression that the "flamenco sound" was a result of the cheap materials they had to use 'back in the day.'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2004 15:31:30

PacoPaella

I played a José Lopez Bellido Indian rosewood guitar along with some Barba and some other big name instruments and it easily outclassed all of them, while being not half as expensive. With Flamenco guitars, there doesnt seem to be any relation between prize and strength/quality/uniqueness. Also you kind of buy based on belief, because even if you play the guitar for hours you cannot know how it will sound once it is really open, some months later.

I think that you have to spend about 3,000 € for a good instrument, but all above that will not neccessarily be better.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2004 18:01:31

in Jerez, most young players have Valerianos and often "upgrade" to Conde. In Cadiz, where flamenco is at a low ebb, the young hotshots have all bought Condes. Roman Vicenti bought a Pedro de Miguel and his young brother Raul found a good Eladio Fernandez, which I had for a few months.

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2004 1:01:50

Kate

Just as Sean says, its about the same in Granada. Also guitars move around a lot. Emilio used to have a blanca which he used on one of the tracks on his album. When we met the guy from Cordoba who now has the guitar he wanted a copy of Emilio's album ( free of course) as it was his guitar on there !!!

I've watched Harold try out a dozen of the same make guitar and pick one out saying this is it. Hmm well they all looked the same to me.

Kate
(Guitar widow)

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2004 19:01:52

PacoPaella

Exactly what guitar DOES Vicente play? I have read that the uses this american DeVoe guitar all over this forum, but now ran into this article:
quote:

Vicente Amigo

Vicente Amigo has a very special relationship with his Manuel Reyes guitar (Calle Armas, 4, E-140 Córdoba, 957, Spain). "I am very comfortable with her," he says. "I have been with her for years. Once I left her on the sofa, the phone rang and I picked it up and then sat on her and broke her. I took her to be repaired like one would take a sick child to the hospital. I got this guitar in C—rdoba. It is a fantastic guitar for flamenco. These guitars have a wonderful range of sound. And they are slender. It's not a big fat guitar; it's very sharp-sounding with a very quick response. It's made of cypress, which is the best wood. There are other flamenco guitars made of palo santo [the Spanish term for Indian rosewood, translated literally as "blessed wood"], but I like cypress much better. The ones that are made of palo santo are 'flamenca negras,' and the ones made of cypress are 'flamenca blancas.' I have an American flamenca negra guitar as well, made by Lester Devoe (Devoe Guitars, 680 Camino Roble, Nipomo, CA 93444; (805) 931-0313; ; www.maui.net/~rtadki/devoe.html), but I don't play it much because I am so used to the other one. Lester Devoe makes lots of palo santo guitars."

Amigo strings his guitars with D'Addario strings. "They give me the best tension and the best control," he says. "I have tried other strings, but these are the best. For me, they are fantastic."

—Bill Milkowski

(taken from http://www.acguitar.com/issues/ag116/gear116.html)

I know that the great artists get free instruments from all luthiers just so they can say "Xyz owns one of my guitars" but thats somewhat different from saying that this artist "plays" a certain guitar, because that would suggest its his "first" instrument...hm seems i went slightly off topic, sorry
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2004 7:27:59

Jim Opfer

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to PacoPaella

quote:

what guitar DOES Vicente play

As your quote, Manuel Reyes.
The thing about breaking it and getting it fixed is exactly the point I made earlier. It also helps if your local maker happens to be one of the very best.

Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2004 8:14:19

Patrick

quote:

The guy in Jose Ramirez's shop told me that a Flamenco Negra is just a Classical Guitar "Flamencada" (as he put it), that is set up for a lower action and a tap plate fitted.

Ron,

The reason he said that, in my opinion, is Ramirez doesn't build a true negra. I had a 1983 Ramirez 1A that was built as a negra. Forum member Eddie Lastra had Juan Serrano custom order it for him. It played and sounded very similar to a 1A classical, but had a lower, flamenco action.

Now, let's take my Jeff Sigurdson negra. If you play it hard, it will blow you away how much of a blanca quality it has. But if you back off, it has those nice, negra (classical qualities). My point is, it just isn't as simple as some would have you believe. Jeff has proven to me that good builders can go a long way in directing the outcome.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2004 18:12:24

Patrick

quote:

Some people deny this effect. Maybe the negra or the blanca woods have nothing to do with it, but this is certainly the experience of many people. Whether or not it's the woods or not, hardly matters, if the eventually effect is the same. And it doesn't matter if the luthier CAN make it sound different, either, if they don't. I'm very comfortable adding my experience in this arena to yours.

Mike,

I agree. In my opinion, it just ain't so. Blanca's are blanca's and negra's are negra's. I have played a ton of negra's and I have never (I repeat, never) played a negra that sounded like a blanca. My Sigurdson is the closest, but when you get all done, it's still a negra! In fact, most negra's I have played were much closer (if not identical) to classical’s. Builders can only go so far in bringing out the blanca qualities in a negra. When you slap that dark wood on, things can change in a big way.

I think DeVoe has built such a world-renowned reputation, because he is one on the few builders that have been able to build blanca qualities into a negra. And because of that, people have beat a path to his doorstep.

So when someone says "the back and sides don't have an affect on the tone", I say hogwash! Prove it to me!

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2004 18:36:40

TANúñez

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Patrick

quote:

The reason he said that, in my opinion, is Ramirez doesn't build a true negra.

Hi Patrick. They actually do build a true negra. Built to the same specifications as their 1a Blanca. For some reason you just don't see a lot of these out there.

What you do see from time to time is the guitar that you had. Or still have. Do you still own it? Their classical 1a fitted with their flamenco bridge and setup.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2004 19:03:20

Patrick

quote:

They actually do build a true negra

Tom,

Actually what I said was "in my opinion, they don't build a true negra". They may say they do, but that's debatable. BTW, when mine was built, they were building only the converted classical’s. I have not played one of the new negra's they build, nor I have I heard of anyone of note playing one either.

No I traded it for my Tezanos. I still need to get you a clip of the Sigurdson. I also plan to do a clip of the Green that you might want to put on your site.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2004 19:26:18

TANúñez

quote:

I still need to get you a clip of the Sigurdson. I also plan to do a clip of the Green that you might want to put on your site.

That would be awesome! I'd be going crazy if I had a new Sigurdson and a new Green. I'd be locked away playing for days. Do you find yourself playing one more than the other? The Sigurdson is a negra though right? Is the Tezanos getting much playing these days?

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2004 3:07:40

Miguel de Maria

I want one of those Sigurdsons. But first I want to get the new Bose PAS. Gigging heaven!

Tom, are you still trying to unload the Carillo? What's next on your list?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2004 15:38:08

Patrick

quote:

That would be awesome! I'd be going crazy if I had a new Sigurdson and a new Green. I'd be locked away playing for days. Do you find yourself playing one more than the other? The Sigurdson is a negra though right? Is the Tezanos getting much playing these days?

Tom,

Actually that's what I did for four days during last weeks holiday. You know it's a tough thing to deal with, but someone has to do it!

I've been playing the Green everyday sense I got it. To say the least, "its a canon". The old saying "There is no such thing as a flamenco or classical guitar, there are only good and bad guitars" really applies in this case. It's definitely not the dry, short-sustain, Conde. A good classical guitarist could do wonders with it, but it’s still pure blood flamenco. It has so much power that I found it sounds better if you just back off and let it play itself.

The Sigurdson negra is like night and day from the Green blanca. If I could only have one guitar, I think it might be the Sigurdson. Not that it’s a canon like the Green, more that it’s so versatile. If you back off, it’s a really cool negra sound, but when you lay into it, it has a nice blanca edge. Jeff has got the low-flamenco setup down cold. It is by far the easiest to play guitar I have owned. It’s just fun to play.

The Tezanos hasn’t been played much lately due to the new arrivals, but it’s not forgotten.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2004 18:20:53

Jim Opfer

quote:

I have not played one of the new negra's they build, nor I have I heard of anyone of note playing one either.

Pat,

Don't know if this is truely in reply to your point because you do say 'the new negra's' however, just thought I should point to Manola Sanlucar who seems to be married to his.
I noticed that in some pictures he also has a Ramirez negra has a pearl dot centred on the headstock. I'd always understood this to be one of those classical Ramirez guitars with a double back, but can't imagine he would be interested in carting around a 30 stone 'giano' (just invented a new word :-)) all day.

Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2004 18:53:26

Patrick

Jim,

Yes, the guitar that he has played for years was the same as the one that Eddie and I had, which was the hybrid classical. Mine sounded almost identical to his.

Now the question is, does he still play the same guitar? In more recent pictures, he's not playing it. Also his more recent recordings don't sound like it, but don't know for sure.

One other interesting point is how close my Tezanos-Perez negra sounds like my old Ramirez. As you may be aware, both Tezanos (and his father) and Perez worked in the Ramirez shop for many years. What is interesting, is the body style and bracing pattern are very different from the Ramirez 1A as well as being Spruce top, versus cedar. But, the tone is very, very much the Ramirez 1a,only bolder. It shows that the apple doesn’t fall to far from the tree.

Jim, BTW, the Ramirez 1a had a double side, versus double back. They were actually lined with a second set of sides.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2004 19:33:46

Patrick

quote:

I want one of those Sigurdsons

Mike,

It's interesting you bring this up. I have been thinking about emailing you about the Sigurdson. I remember a while back, you said you would like to have a guitar that you can play flamenco and classical on. For the kind of gigging you do, I can't think of a better guitar. With a good pickup system, I bet it would be a killer.

If I were you, I'd get on Jeff's list for a couple hundred bucks or so. It will take close to a year to get it so by then you can put the dough away. I only paid $2,200 for mine. The only thing I would have done different would have been to install Sloane tuners to begin with. I'm putting a set on this week. The guitar warrants the expense of the Sloane’s.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2004 19:46:25

If you want to hear a good selection of mp3 samples of classical and flamenco guitars by Spanish makers, here is a great link.

MP3 Gallery
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 25 2004 21:09:04

Miguel de Maria

That's the one with my buddy Gaetano playing it, eh? :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 26 2004 1:27:55

TANúñez

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

Tom, are you still trying to unload the Carillo? What's next on your list?

Hey Miguel. Sorry it took me like 3 years to respond to this but I just caught it. I have decided to keep my Carrillo. It's a really good guitar and the only reason I was going to sell it was because I wanted a negra. I'm still toying with the idea of owning an Aaron Green or one made by Charles Vega. Two outstanding American luthiers.

Since I'm also learning to build I'll be building myself many I'm sure. I have so many ideas that I want to experiment with.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 26 2004 1:42:30

Francisco

quote:

Patrick
I still need to get you a clip of the Sigurdson. I also plan to do a clip of the Green that you might want to put on your site.

Patrick, have you uploaded these files yet?

quote:

Patrick
The Sigurdson negra is like night and day from the Green blanca. If I could only have one guitar, I think it might be the Sigurdson. Not that it’s a canon like the Green, more that it’s so versatile. If you back off, it’s a really cool negra sound, but when you lay into it, it has a nice blanca edge. Jeff has got the low-flamenco setup down cold. It is by far the easiest to play guitar I have owned. It’s just fun to play.

I think I just may have to get me one of these. I like the idea of a versatile guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 20 2005 2:36:26

Patrick

samwise,

Sorry, but no. I sold my Sigurdson a few weeks ago and never got a good clip of it. I just got a new DeVoe negra, so between it and the Green, the Sigurdson would just be in its case.

I havn't done a clip of the Green yet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2005 5:20:13

Francisco

Congratulations on your DeVoe, if money was less an issue than it is, I would definitely be on his waiting list. I can see how a Sigurdson would come in third in a line-up like that, however it is more in my price range. From what I can tell, Jeff builds the guitar (or most of it) himself. This along with the price range place him and Anders at the top of my list. I wonder how Anders' and Jeff's guitars compare? I know when the time comes I'm going to just have to bite the bullet, but it's going to be tough.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2005 8:31:26

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Francisco

Hola

In my less than humble opinion, the maker of the finest flamenco guitars in Spain is José Romero. He is easily on the same level as De Voe and Reyes and will make my next blanca.

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2005 19:17:30

Ron.M

Check out Quique Paredes' guitar..
A combination Blanca/Negra!

Hmmm...?

Ron

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2005 20:36:16

Ron.M

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Ron.M

...and this other photograph...

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2005 20:37:39

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Ron.M

Hola

For years, Quique has played a Gerundino. In the photo he looks very young????

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 21 2005 21:10:51

Francisco

Looks like Jeff is selling them on ebay for about $1395, I'm not sure how I feel about that.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2005-SIGURDSON-CLASSICAL-FLAMENCO-NEGRA-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ7343861480QQcategoryZ2385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 22 2005 4:28:10

Ron.M

Yeah Sean...The album is dated 1993.
John Fillmore, who was teaching the Flamenco class at Dundee, knew Quique briefly in Cordoba a long time ago and was asking after him.
I told him that I'd heard somewhere that he'd been involved in a bad car accident, although this might have been some time ago.
Do you know if he's OK and still playing?

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 22 2005 8:18:30
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll