Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Classicals Flamencos and Negras   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Jim Opfer

Classicals Flamencos and Negras 

Just some observations.

Classical guitars are crafted to produce big and wonderful sounds, very musical like a grand piano, beautiful and sort of perfect. Too perfect for my ear.

Flamencos differ. Good ones are made to have a voice with almost human quality. Throaty, rough, earthy, gritty and they can be played to sing with emotion.

Negras are by construction, somewhere in the middle.

I can tell you that a great blanca will expose and reveal all flaws in your technique and rhythem, there is no cover, no fluffing, everything is up front and exposed. A good negra on the other hand, has the voice but also gives cover to the player with a thicker sound and sustain to iron out lapses in technique.

I'm intrigued by cedar top blancas, volume, big sound, yet with brilliance from the cypress back and sides. Makes me think this might be a very seductive combination.

Any thoughts?

Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2004 18:39:05

Flamingo

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Jim Opfer

Interesting! Just like compare the grand piano to the upright "Jazz" piano, the upright sounds faster, less the romatic sound than the grand piano, right?

Most of the Ramirez Blanca in the 60's, 70's made were using Cedar top and Cypress back and sides. Many other luthierd also using this combination. But I have played many Spruce top, Cypress back/sides, with huge, bright volume, too.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2004 19:38:24

Jim

These generalisations are just generalisations. The quality of the wood and the skill of the guitarrero have more to do with the sound.

I have 2 great guitars: one is cypress and spruce, the other is Brazilian rosewood and cedar. I defy anyone to tell me which is which if I were playing them behind a curtain.

Suerte

Sean
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2004 20:52:36

Jim Opfer

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Guest

quote:

These generalisations are just generalisations.

I know Sean, but none the less, interesting.
(IMO)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2004 21:14:39

Jim Opfer

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Flamingo

quote:

Most of the Ramirez Blanca in the 60's, 70's made were using Cedar top and Cypress back and sides

I've got a Ramirez blanca with spruce top dated 1969. Perfect guitar with big sound and lovely voice but boy! it pin points every stumble.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2004 21:17:44

Patrick

quote:

I can tell you that a great blanca will expose and reveal all flaws in your technique and rhythem, there is no cover, no fluffing, everything is up front and exposed.

Jim,

I agree 100%. I have had my new Aaron Green blanca for just a bit over a week and I can attest to what you are saying. My two negras (Tezanos-Perez and Sigurdson) are somewhat forgiving of playing technique. The longer sustain and overtones of the negras tend to fill in the voids.

Last night I was working on a Buleria falseta that I thought I had down pretty well until I played it on my Green. The Green made it obvious I had a way to go. Very minor fluffs are magnified without being masked.

I know I'll get flack for this, but when I here "that the quality of a guitar" is not very important in the equation of playing, well…. that person has not spent time playing a world-class blanca like my Green. I know for a fact, I’m playing better in just a week with my Green. It’s a bit like the fog raising so you can see clearer.

Pat
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2004 22:35:12

Escribano

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Patrick

quote:

know for a fact, I’m playing better in just a week with my Green. It’s a bit like the fog raising so you can see clearer.

It's a good point and one I have heard from players in Spain. I use a blanca (with little sustain) all the time but I may trade up, one day. Perhaps I can eventually finish my very own under the Andalucian sun

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2004 7:01:13

Miguel de Maria

My experience is the same...in fact my only guitar is a Vicente Carillo blanca (same as the PDL model) and I find that it is difficult to play. Sharp, precise, unforgiving, arctic--these words describe this guitar. But I think I am a better player for it. A lot of my friends have negras or classical guitars and I do think they have a softer, more expansive and velvety tone. There is less precision and thus more margin for error. When I pick up one of these guitars, I instantly feel it and feel more free to experiment and "go for it."

Some people deny this effect. Maybe the negra or the blanca woods have nothing to do with it, but this is certainly the experience of many people. Whether or not it's the woods or not, hardly matters, if the eventually effect is the same. And it doesn't matter if the luthier CAN make it sound different, either, if they don't. I'm very comfortable adding my experience in this arena to yours.

Aaron Green told me that the woods were not the arbiter of the sound, as has Sean here a few times. But no one has answered me: Then why do we even bother using expensive Brazilian rosewood at all? That it has an effect on the guitar is about as undeniable as saying that tin would have an effect on the guitar. Why does Paco and Vicente buy these negras if they don't have different qualities than blancas? Is it an aesthetic choice only? Seems a stretch.

Vicente Carillo, the luthier of my guitar and not particularly well known, is better known for his negras (Rio) than blancas. Why would this be, if they sound different?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2004 15:13:20

Ron.M

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Patrick

I agree with Jim and you on this, Pat.
In my experience, the more mellow sound and longer sustain does cover up a lot of little errors.
That's probably why I've always tended to find a Negra easier to play.
Your dead right about a blanca magnifying every flaw too!

About the woods etc...isn't it the construction (bracing/dimensions etc etc) that makes a Flamenco guitar sound different?
The guy in Jose Ramirez's shop told me that a Flamenco Negra is just a Classical Guitar "Flamencada" (as he put it), that is set up for a lower action and a tap plate fitted.

Don't know anything about the construction side of guitars myself, so I just take anything I'm told in good faith. LOL!

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2004 15:30:33

Ron.M

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Escribano

quote:

It's a good point and one I have heard from players in Spain.

Can you expand on this Simon, I'm very interested to know what the pros views are on this.

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2004 15:32:28

musicalgrant

I find this an interesting topic as I have a hand made flamenco bianca guitar, and having played in workshops with another 14 guitarists have noticed a difference in the Negra and Bianca varieties..

I heard a flamenco bianca guitar that cost lots of pennies that sounded more classical than a classical guitar, its tone was a wonder to listen too but its projection (volume) wasn't there...

It made the biancas sound flat though? The Hermandos Conde that Juan played out shone the lot of us, it had that extra lift in volume and tone, it was like it was at a higher pitch, it sounded tighter, but it was heard above 14 dancers and 14 guitarists!! LOL, even though other guitarists had Hermandos condes too.

I wonder sometimes whether these Spanish Luthiers keep the best guitars for those who are well known, or have Spanish blood in them? It would make sense as these are the guitars we would hear when listening to a record etc..and then rush out to buy them LOL

Any ideas on this front apprecieated
Cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2004 23:54:44

Miguel de Maria

Miguel Angel Cortes, a pro player from Granada who taught me for a month in Sevilla, told me that all the best guitars go to famous people or friends.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2004 0:12:19

Escribano

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

expand on this Simon, I'm very interested to know what the pros views are on this.

Not much to expand on, whilst Alberto Lopez, Ramon Ruiz and Emilio Maya all own Conde negras, they all mentioned the blanca as "the" flamenco guitar. Misinformed, or no, they talked about short sustain and less mellowness. To be accurate, Ramon teaches with a Bernal blanca but performs with the Conde.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2004 8:25:53

Kate

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to musicalgrant

quote:

ORIGINAL: musicalgrant
I wonder sometimes whether these Spanish Luthiers keep the best guitars for those who are well known, or have Spanish blood in them?

Once while hanging out in a luthiers I interpreted for an American buyer with money who wanted to buy, but he was a beginner and the guitar maker appeared totally disinterested in selling him a guitar and told him he did not make guitars for beginners. The point was this man may have been a beginner but he had more money than most guitarists I know have to spend but the luthier was not impressed, seemed not to want his money. I dont think blood has anything to do with it, but it certainly appeared that this guy wanted his guitars to go only to serious players.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2004 12:12:24

Jim Opfer

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Kate

Hi Kate,

Yes, that's my experience.

I went to Granada a few years ago to find a great guitar.

I wrote to Manuel Bellido before going as I had a nice guitar made by Montero y Bellido in 1968 (the year they both started, worked together and shared a label). When I got to his big shop, the son in law brought out very poor guitars, telling me thay were 1a quality, I have very little Spanish, but had enough to tell him that just by inspection, they were 2nd quality.

I was invited to sit down and play, I'm no great player by any standard but as soon as I did, the reaction changed. Manuel's daughter came out from a room behind the display case and told me she would take me to meet her father at his workshop as the best guitars were kept there.

I went back the following day and she drove me to the workshop about 1/2 mile away. Manuel was there and let me play a negra guitar which he said was a sister guitar to the one recently bought by Tomatito (now, this might have been a sales pitch but it seemed very sincere to me). I liked it but didn't buy it.

Also in Granada, I went to German Perez. His wee shop on Gomerez about 3m by 2m. His wife and daughter were there and showed me rubbish guitars claiming them to be 1a. Again, invited to sit and play. When I did, the son came through from next door, took the guitar off me and invited me through to see more guitars (next shop unit up the hill).

He was very honest, he had no quality instruments available, November was the wrong time, something to do with few guitars being finished because of the damper climate that time of the year. He offered to have his father make me a guitar, but I thought German might be more a classical maker, so I declined.

Great thing was that while this was going on, the mother and daughter were off speaking to Mario Maya and they brought him round to meet this odd Scots guy who played flamenco guitar. I was stunned to meet this mega star I'd just watched on the Flamenco video a few weeks before, pinching myself to make sure it was real. Very surreal experience. If my Spanish had been better than just being about able to ask for a beer, I reconed this man would have been very willing to spend more time with me but no way given that our conversation was all through the daughter who speaks english. What a wasted opportunity.

Anyway, point is may be not so much to do with being a famous player and more about being genuine and interested in flamenco with some ability to play.

Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2004 17:25:00

Jim Opfer

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to musicalgrant

quote:

Any ideas on this front apprecieated

I'm very lucky to have three great guitars.

Conde A26 blanca with a huge sound and a little more sustain than normal. A powerful instrument, young with lots of potential.

Stephen Hill negra. Again, first quality hand made to order guitar, powerful with bright sound and a gritty voice.

Ramirez blanca 1a (1969). Beautiful guitar, my favourite, IMO world class. Sharp, cutting, raw yet very sweet if played that way. Great flamenco voice and light as a feather. The way they should be made. This guitar playes the way you describe with the sound of 'higher pitch' to cut right through everything else.

Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2004 17:34:14

Kate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Opfer
Stephen Hill negra. Again, first quality hand made to order guitar, powerful with bright sound and a gritty voice.

Stephen Hill has moved to Granada and has put together a workshop down in La Herradura. Should be going to visit him sometime soon as Emilio wants his Conde looking at.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2004 18:55:18

Kate

Hi Jim,

I think that's the way of things. Sounds like you had a good experience here. When I first came here it was amazing to see Mario, Manolete or Morente hanging out on street corners chatting, but you get used to it

German Perez now has a shop on Reyes Catolicas, they have been great selling Emilio's CDs for us and we're always in and out of there. Another foro member Scott bought a guitar from them and they have his picture hanging up on the wall, inbetween Paco and Camaron

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2004 18:59:55

Escribano

quote:

Stephen Hill has moved to Granada

Be sure to pass on my regards and I'll seek him out soon.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2004 19:26:05

Jim Opfer

Kate,

I know Stephen well, please tell him Jim Opfer sends his regards.

Thanks
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2004 21:06:49

I'va always heard that the best Spanish guitars are reserved for the best Spanish guitarists.
I've heard this from several people who have travelled down there in search and returned empty-handed. Usually, the 'especial' guitars are always spoken for and never displayed to unknown customers.

I think the pedigree of many "famous label" guitars can be considered quite suspect. Lots of smoke & mirrors down there, especially when it comes to rich gringos buying world-class guitars.

It goes to prove that if you want an absolutely world-class guitar its best to stick with N.american luthiers like DeVoe, Brune, C.Vega, Green etc
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2004 13:52:18

Kate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Guest
I think the pedigree of many "famous label" guitars can be considered quite suspect. Lots of smoke & mirrors down there, especially when it comes to rich gringos buying world-class guitars.

It goes to prove that if you want an absolutely world-class guitar its best to stick with N.american luthiers like DeVoe, Brune, C.Vega, Green etc

For a start here in Spain foreigners are not called Gringos, that's in Mexico my friend and what on earth is suspect about Spanish guitars and their makers ?

In my experience here, far from ripping people off, Luthiers are very honorable and tend to advise foreign buyers to go and buy a cheaper beginners guitar off the shelf. Unless of course , like Jim you can sit down and impress the hell out of them enough for them to see you as a serious player and purchaser. I have never heard of any flamencos playing the guitars you mention and am not sure quite what you have proved about North American Luthiers being better. Here in Granada there are over forty luthiers most of which are family run and have been in business for generations, and with incredible reputations for their craft, no smoke and mirrors there.

I sit sometimes in the luthiers shops on Cuesta Gomerez and every five minutes tourists wander in to try out the guitars, they rarely buy and so no wonder most luthiers do not take them seriously. However when a player comes in it is quite a different matter. Usually because a player, unlike a tourist, is considering a serious purchase and is prepared to place and order a gutar especially built and wait for it. When tourists learn there are waiting lists they complain they want to buy and take a guitar home now an luthiers here do not work like that.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2004 14:16:38

Miguel de Maria

Kate,
not to disagree with you, but Paco and Vicente play guitars of the above mentioned luthiers. And you have to understand that carries a lot of weight with us gringos (I live two hours from Mexico, senora :)).

My experience is Spain with guitars was not that good, because I didn't know anybody. I wish I had more time in Granada with you because you could have pointed me to guitar heaven. Instead I wandered around tourist traps all throughout Andalucia. The one decent guitar shop I could find was owned by Jose Postigo, in Sevilla. I wandered in and asked ot play a Conde. He said, are you going to play it or buy it? So I didn't get to play it...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2004 15:16:29

Jim Opfer

quote:

Here in Granada there are over forty luthiers most of which are family run and have been in business for generations

Spot on Kate, Manuel Diaz is another great guy. Maker and professional player. He was very kind to me and let me play his own personal beaten up guitar he'd made 20 years or so ago. Great instrument, but sadly not for sale.

Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2004 15:18:32

Kate - Well I am not going to get into a flame war on an internet board - if you want to get offended by my comments thats fine by me.

As for not having heard of DeVoe and Brune - maybe you should look up people like Vicente Amigo (who plays DeVoes exclusively), Moraito owns a Brune, Sabicas also played DeVoes. Paco has a DeVoe too. Sorry I do not have more names for you.

Regarding my comment 'smoke & mirrors' - all I can say is that I wonder how many tourists have been sold "the last guitar faustino made", or "the sister guitar to the one Paco is playing" ..... after all business is business.
I was just reporting information I have heard from friends who returned from Spain empty-handed and extremely dissapointed by their experiences. (and these are all guys who can play flamenco - not someone "off the street").
One guy even checked out an Atocha Conde which had a carpio stamp on the inside!!

I'm not saying there are not great luthiers in Spain - obviously there are!! All I'm saying is that the absolute best especial guitars are not sold to tourists.

The N. American luthiers I mentioned make the entire guitar themselves, from start to finish. No assistants, no one else doing polishing or setup. For me thats the real hand-made guitar. One guy crafting everything from start to finish. But this is just one "gringos" opinion ....... and the way the USD is these days its not even worth 0.01 euros!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2004 17:17:34

Kate

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 26 2004 17:57:32
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2004 17:44:12

Kate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Opfer
Spot on Kate, Manuel Diaz is another great guy. Maker and professional player. He was very kind to me and let me play his own personal beaten up guitar he'd made 20 years or so ago. Great instrument, but sadly not for sale.

Jim.

Manuel Diaz has a wonderful shop, flul of old photos and press cuttings andthat lovely photo he took of a young Estrella with Sabicas. I'm glad you met him Jim. When Carmen and I go up there he always accompanies her singing. He also stocks Emilio's CD for us
Kate

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2004 17:50:42

Kate

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria
not to disagree with you, but Paco and Vicente play guitars of the above mentioned luthiers. And you have to understand that carries a lot of weight with us gringos (I live two hours from Mexico, senora :)).

Hi Miguel, actually I was talking about flamencos I know, not know of

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2004 17:53:45

Kate

RE: Classicals Flamencos and Negras (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria
And you have to understand that carries a lot of weight with us gringos (I live two hours from Mexico, senora :)).

Hey Miguel you may be a Gringo where you are from but in Spain you're a Guirri

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2004 17:56:34

Kate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Guest

I'm not saying there are not great luthiers in Spain - obviously there are!!

Good that's sorted then. Many of my friends are very respected Spanish guitar makers.

And just to clarify my comment on flamenco players and their guitars, I should have said flamencos I know, sadly this does not include Vicente, Paco or Sabicas

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2004 18:06:55
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread