Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

New to forum   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Randal

New to forum 

Greetings from Montana, USA. I'm quite excited to have found this forum, as I'm also tremendously excited to be returning to flamenco guitar after playing other instruments in other styles the past several years. After grade school woodwinds, nylon-string guitar is really my 'first' instrument since undertaking formal classical guitar study at age 14. Later, an infatuation with bossa nova further enamoured me with nylon-string guitar. Then, living around Denver in 1992, I heard Rene Heredia being interviewed on the radio and immediately felt the magic of flamenco. I studied the Juan Martin method 'El Arte de Flamenco' assiduously for several years. But, as I sought work playing out, I delved away from practicing solo guitar and played just about every other style of ensemble music...to the point where after grad school I was only playing drums. Fast forward about ten years, and I recently acquired the opportunity to weekly accompany a bellydance troupe where I play Arabic rhythms and improvise in Phrygian on bouzouki and saz. But I love the purity and elegance of nylon string guitar--my first. I aspire to introduce the dancers to some flamenco compas and have been recovering my form on guitar. As I said, I am very excited to be returning to flamenco guitar! It's my favorite guitar style (and, there is nothing sexier than a flamenco guitar ).

Cheers!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2010 16:07:08

XXX

RE: New to forum (in reply to Randal

Sounds like you are a versatile player. Welcome. About introducing your bellydancers to compas, im not sure, since this usually takes years, even for the simplest steps. For proper flamenco i think you will need a flamenco dancer. But of course you can always implement some flamenco elements in your own music, or in a belly dancers choreo. oh, feel free to share some pics of your troupe

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2010 1:39:08

HolyEvil

welcome.. hope you would post some of your music too.. =)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2010 1:58:08

Escribano

You are most welcome here, Catty

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2010 4:00:01

veet

The simplest way to ease belly dancers into flamenco is probably by way of a Zambra or other Granada-style por tangos. I know a lot of belly dancers who also study flamenco, and vice versa.

V
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2010 9:28:53

Randal

RE: New to forum (in reply to veet

Thanks veet. I was also thinking Rhumba, which might work with Malfouf.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2010 20:59:30

stephen hill

welcome catty!

stephen hill - granada spain
http://www.spanishguitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2010 2:46:31

Randal

quote:

About introducing your bellydancers to compas, im not sure, since this usually takes years, even for the simplest steps. For proper flamenco i think you will need a flamenco dancer. But of course you can always implement some flamenco elements in your own music, or in a belly dancers choreo.

Thanks for the suggestions all. The troupe call themselves "mutt" bellydancers and are accustomed to dancing to a variety of recorded music. I'm introducing traditional Arabic rhythms with percussion. When I can find some other percussionists, I intend to play some guitar. So, it'll be some experimentation for sure.

Note...I'm now Randal ... changing my psuedonym often helps assuage my ADHD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2010 18:50:12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote