Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Gerardo Nuñez Instructional DVD   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Stoney

Gerardo Nuñez Instructional DVD 

I have just had the pleasure of seeing the Gerardo Nuñez instructional video. I was completely blown out of my socks.

Here´s the kicker - I´m sure a few folks around here may fall off their chairs when I say this too but ......(wait for it) ....... after see him explain his technique, particularly his rasgueados, I could easily see myself adopting a more modern approach.

Yes, I am a huge believer in maintaining the Traditional Flamenco but I know when to admit defeat. (I'll never give up traditional falseta but....)

For example, his 3 stroke rasgueado is brilliant. The same with the 4 stroke, the rolling 3 stroke etc. etc.

His picado is just amazing too. He uses all fingers in all combinations. I have been meaning to post some questions about how to fix my right hand positioning problems - he answered all my questions in his demo.

This is about to become my bible. I can't speak highly enough about it. The Tomatito instructional vid, which I love to watch but can't play squat from is great, but this one may be even better. This also has something for everyone, even a beginner could get a lot out of it and avoid all those typical mistakes and bad habits many of us enevitably develop.

Unfortunalely, it's all in Spanish. Then again, for those who don't spake the language, it might be easier and quicker to just learn Spanish and then watch it than to learn the wrong way from some other method. AMAZING.

Stoney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2010 12:44:20

Doitsujin

RE: Gerardo Nuñez Instructional DVD (in reply to Stoney

Check the last pages of the book. All what he says in the video is translated there. ;.)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2010 12:54:30

Arash

glad you liked it.

it is indeed one of the best instructional videos out there.
amazing, clean and effective technique and people from all levels can learn many things from it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2010 12:54:59

Ricardo

You said you saw it, but you should buy it cuz it comes with a book that has the english translations and tabs.

I am so glad it opened your eyes a little. Just be careful about what is modern approach vs traditional. Most of what gerardo explains of technique comes from a basic traditional origin. Even his 3 finger picado comes from early Paco de lucia repertoire. The fact that he avoids to use his pinky 4 rasgeo is not necessarily "modern" it is more "personal". He demos rasgueado, all of em really, can be seen done by much older players of the "old school". Keep in mind he is from Jerez, and had the same teacher as morao and parilla (Rafael Aguila). So his base if very trad jerez. In fact he quotes a lot of Parilla throughout the video. his composition ideas r something else though. that is why They
ARe separate from the technique part of the DVD

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2010 13:14:37

Chiste de Gales

I think these clips are from the Nuñez instructional video:

http://www.guitar-tube.com/watch/bulerias-flamenco-technique.html
http://www.guitar-tube.com/watch/buler%C3%ADas-and-waltz-flamenco
http://www.guitar-tube.com/watch/buler%C3%ADas-waltz-flamenco-technique-3.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2010 15:34:49

Stu

RE: Gerardo Nuñez Instructional DVD (in reply to Chiste de Gales

i love the tecnica section.....why is this the only encuentro series with technical exercises???
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2010 4:33:00

Pimientito

RE: Gerardo Nuñez Instructional DVD (in reply to Stu

quote:

why is this the only encuentro series with technical exercises???

I think its because Gerardo is one of the few players at his level who is used to actually teaching. Its clear guys like Tomatito and Habichuela who play brilliantly are not so good at explaining what they do.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2010 5:33:47

Arash

RE: Gerardo Nuñez Instructional DVD (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pimientito

quote:

why is this the only encuentro series with technical exercises???

I think its because Gerardo is one of the few players at his level who is used to actually teaching. Its clear guys like Tomatito and Habichuela who play brilliantly are not so good at explaining what they do.

true. beeing a good player doesn't mean automatically that you are a good teacher.

another example for good teaching, is "Oscar Herrero".
he seams to be a good teacher too, judging by the video series.
(its not Encuentro though)

however, another reason why those guys (chicuelo, etc.) don't teach technique in the vids, could also be that they assume that someone who wants to play their pieces (which are taught in the videos), must be intermediate/advanced player who already must have solid technique.

however, if this is the case (i mean if they are good teachers, but don't teach technique in the vids), it is not so clever from them to limit their audience (even if its true what they assume). because someone who is a beginner and who has 100$ and wants to choose one of these and compares, would probably choose Gerardo because also technique is tought. good for gerarde, bad for others with no technique part

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2010 6:36:02

Stoney

I also got my hands on the Manual Granados series. These are great also although it's just audio and book. A great study of graded falsetas and compas sections.

This goes from easier than the Juan Martin stuff to more advanced. Another benefit is the way they show the same falseta various times with variations. Very cool.

Stoney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2010 6:36:59
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote