Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Listen to this   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Miguel de Maria

Listen to this 

Check this guy out. He is ridiculous!

www.grishagoryachev.com

Paco de Rusia!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2004 17:05:32

Escribano

RE: Listen to this (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Eek, to my ear his Bulerias and Soleares have a "smug child prodigy on steriods" note about them; The Milonga (Argentinian tango?) is the soundtrack from a silent horror movie about dwarves. The Fandango comes closest but still exhibits signs of attention deficit disorder.

His repetoire is Segovia's manic ghost masquerading under the name of Sabicas. I can hear a fairground steam organ straining to get involved. More circus than flamenco. if I could play so well, I wouldn't play like that.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2004 19:17:04

Jamey

RE: Listen to this (in reply to Escribano

WATCH THE VIDEOS!!!!!

...holy mother of god can that kid play!

Watch the Nuñez and Amigo pieces he plays.
The MP3s must be older stuff when he was a little younger. He's ovbiously got a taste for the whole Nuñez-Amigo-PdL modern approach to solo playing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2004 22:13:11

Escribano

RE: Listen to this (in reply to Jamey

Yeah, you're right. The videos are saner than the audio. Thank the Lord he slows down a little and puts some feeling in to his playing

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2004 22:26:46

TANúñez

quote:

Check this guy out. He is ridiculous!

I agree! Ridiculously good! He's got chops man. I hear he's strictly a soloist and can't accompany much or at all but that doesn't take away from the fact that he can play.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2004 23:40:19

Jim Opfer

Thanks MdM for that link.

This is one of those fellas that's just so incredibly tallented that if he fancied, he could have been a top violin player or an Ashkenasy, if he had turned his hands to piano.
Pure prodigy, I guess we're all reacting a bit to the fact that he's relying on concert performance of other people's material, this is fine for classical guitarists but we all know that it's wrong for flamenco.

I hope he gets out of this 'method' of playing and starts to express his personal emotions that's the only way for him to put his talent to use, at the moment he's just doing what he's exceptionally gifted and good at.
Daft to suggest perhaps, but he's just doing what comes natural to him and impossible to most others, a bit like musical masterbation. (if I'm allowed to say that?)

Not critisism, just very good advice.

Anyway, If he were here, I'd definately buy a ticket and go see him.

Jim
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 10:53:39

Miguel de Maria

I think we're reacting to jealousy as to how good he is! He may not sound as good as Paco but why would he? The fluency he has on the guitar is just ridiculous. I work pretty hard on the guitar, and this guy is just awesome. But I wouldn't say he is more talented than the rest of us. He just started when he was 4 or 5 years old, his dad is a professional guitarist, and taught him. I think almost anyone, given the psychological characteristics that would stand for it, would become an incredible guitarist with that background. Look at John Williams, Paco, Tiger Woods. I don't think the fact that these people play when they are children shows that they are better, I think they are better because they started when they were children.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 14:27:06

Miguel de Maria

Jamey,
by the way, I resent anyone comparing David Carradine to Paco de Lucia. That guy is an actor, a white man playign a Chinese man's role. Bruce Lee created that character as given his charisma and incredible martial arts ability (although not admitted acting ability), was the natural choice for the role. But Hollywood made the decision that America was not ready for an Asian man being the lead for a movie. And in fact it's only been recently that they have broken through a little bit. Bruce Lee was the Paco de Lucia of martial arts!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 14:30:31

Ron.M

RE: Listen to this (in reply to Jim Opfer

I would have to agree Jim.
I'm trying to be objective in this by saying, the guy has a fantastic technique, but somehow his playing leaves me cold. There is a sort of clinical emptiness in the sound that doesn't move me in the way that lesser technically proficent players do.
A bit like the compositions are being played through a really good guitar synthesizer in MIDI format.
I would have to agree with Simon in saying that if I had a fraction of his technique, I wouldn't want to play like that.
In a way, maybe we're seeing the result of the Nuñez speculation that Flamenco Guitar could develop on it's own, divorced from the cante and baile.
The guy's technique is phenomenal though.

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 15:22:09

Escribano

quote:

But I wouldn't say he is more talented than the rest of us

Neither would I though, I suspect he has a better Mustang convertible than I and rebuilt his own engine, speaks 8 languages fluently, can play 6 games of chess in his head but sadly, has a small manhood

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 17:13:21

Escribano

RE: Listen to this (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

In a way, maybe we're seeing the result of the Nuñez speculation that Flamenco Guitar could develop on it's own, divorced from the cante and baile.

With so many of us giris trying to do it without teacher, canteor or dancer, just CDs and some tabs, isn't a non-Spanish solo flamenco star inevitable? Like Eric Clapton for example.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 17:15:40

Miguel de Maria

Yeah, I guess I'm commenting more on his guitar technique than his flamenco-ness. No, Tomatito has more flamenco-ness in his little pinkie than this funny looking gringo does. But man the guy can play guitar.

I got into the blues from Eric Clapton but once I discovered Muddy and Howling Wolf, I never popped in my Clapton CDs again. But he served his purpose!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 19:17:28

Escribano

quote:

I guess I'm commenting more on his guitar technique than his flamenco-ness

I swear, from this day forth, that I will never allow technique to cloud my appreciation of anything.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 19:21:28

Miguel de Maria

Simon,
I'm a guitarist, and technique will probably always be of interest to me. Until I master it, and then maybe I'll forget it. Like Paco says...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 19:26:07

TANúñez

Man being a guitarist is tough! or should I say professional guitarist? I don't see how you guy's that are seriously trying to 'make it' in this business do it. You face a lot of criticism. You get a lot of praise as well but the criticism can be brutal. As a guitarist, you can't please everyone. Hell, even PdL has his critics.

I guess what I want to know is what drives you? When you hear negative things about your music does it get you down? does it drive you more? do you not care at all?

Guitarists are very competitive. There's always someone who's better or thinks he is. If your a professional, and people pay to hear you, chances are that a lot of the people in the audience are guitarists as well. That would drive me nuts. I think I would be too focused on NOT messing up rather than on my music.

I personaly have nothing to worry about. I'm not a pro and if someone says I suck, my answer would be yep, I sure do I'm an amateur and have no aspirations of becoming a pro. I have to hand it to you guy's who are pro's or are trying to be. It's not easy.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 19:39:18

Escribano

RE: Listen to this (in reply to TANúñez

I was a pro once, but in Indy rock. We (as a band) never wanted to be judged on our individual technique - the Sex Pistols knocked that one on the head - we were judged on what we actually produced (created).

How often do we talk about composition here? Maybe we should. Technique is just a tool, the more one practices, the better one gets. It is not an end in itself.

But composition is creation, it has a message, a feeling. Does that make sense?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 20:14:58

Miguel de Maria

I don't feel that way Tom. When I play, it's not usually guitarists listening. And I get lots of good feedback. It's a rare gig when someone doesn't come up and say that they loved my music. And they should--I choose good music! :) It is hard when other guitarists listen to you. I was playing last night with a new partner for the first time...we had rehearsed for an hour and had a two hour gig. I wasn't very comfortable because he plays really loud and we used mics, so I had to struggle to make myself heard. Then another guitarist, a friend, showed up and it was embarrassing, because I knew I wasn't playing up to my potential... Later the friend said my rasgueado "looked like a Spaniard's..." I said how did it sound. He said, "Very smooth, but it looks like a Spaniard's.." I think that was a compliment. Afterward the other guitarist happened to be playing there and I checked him out for a few songs. When he saw me watching I could tell, he was getting a little uptight, so I just gave him some "Ole's" and he loosened up a little.

I agree that you can't please everyone,and probably can't please that many people. Some people will agree with your vision of the music, be moved by it, and also think you are a decent enough player to enjoy your stuff. As long as you do what you like, some people will catch on to that. And if you play some gigs doing standards, what's wrong with that? People like that too. I am playing a gig with two people I've never rehearsed with tonght...we'll be using charts and doing Ottmar and Girl from Ipanema and Blue Bossa and stuff like that. I'm sure some people will dig us too, although not the same people who like my solo stuff!

Tom, if you keep practicing 4 hours a day, you will be good, you will be a professional, and you will like it! :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 20:17:44

Escribano

quote:

Until I master it, and then maybe I'll forget it

... and so you should. I cannot do it justice yet, but compás requires very little technique. One finger, one thumb or maybe just the thumb, right?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 20:20:43

Ron.M

quote:

When you hear negative things about your music does it get you down? does it drive you more? do you not care at all?

Tom,
I reckon I don't care at all actually!
If there is something technically wrong in something I play and somebody points it out...then great.... I learn something new!
Charlie Chaplin once said (and I paraphrase here).
"I studied violin. I practised day and night for hours and hours, but when I realized I could never be anything more than mediocre, I gave it up.

After all, I just wanted to be **famous**....at anything... actually"

Herein lies the quandrary that younger guitarists find themselves in.
There is the evident "Wow" factor of virtuoso Flamenco guitar.
Play that stuff down your local club and they'll be all absolutely phased out.
You'll be the guitar hero.

The CG Forum has quite a lot of clever and funny guys.
ToddK started a thread saying "If the guitar wasn't invented, then what instrument would you play?"
A real card posted.....
"Anything which might get me laid".

Now, that's funny!

So we all have different reasons for getting involved in Flamenco.
Some might change over the years.

I've been through bags of reasons now.
And my main reason for playing now is just because *I* want to.
Not because of ego/girls/money...
Just 'cos I want to, and time is slip slidin' away.
Don't really give a **** about anything else. LOL!

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 20:20:49

Escribano

RE: Listen to this (in reply to Ron.M

Good thread

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 20:23:25

Escribano

That sounded a little curt, apologies. It's just something that's been bugging me since my lesson with Emilio. He showed me stuff that I was technically well able to play but I could not play it consistently in compás, damn it. So I try every night.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 20:56:52

TANúñez

Great answers. I love picking brains from you guys who are doing it or have done it. That goes for luthiers as well. I'm sure half of these luthiers are probably saying will you just build your freaking guitar already and leave me alone

I guess what matters most above all else is that we play guitar because WE love it and not because it looks cool and gets the chicks. I've only had 2 gigs. Not because I sought them out but because I was asked to perform. 1. it got my feet wet and 2. I wanted to see what it was like. It was nerve racking for me but I came out of it ok. It wasn't enough though to say this is what I want to do. I'm more in love with the guitar than I am playing it. I guess this is why I'm aspiring to build them.

My two kids (5 & 2) think I'm the greatest guitarist on earth and for me, those opinions matter the most. I just have to make sure the demo CD that Miguel de Maria sent me isn't in their site or that would basically bring a crashing end to my fame!

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 21:16:42

Jim Opfer

quote:

But composition is creation, it has a message, a feeling. Does that make sense?

Sums it up Simon.

The 'creation' of music is what counts, otherwise we're no more than just CD players. Making up a meaningful phrase, just think, before you made it, it never existed and no one ever heard it, now that's an achievement.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 16 2004 22:04:41

Jamey

quote:

Jamey,
by the way, I resent anyone comparing David Carradine to Paco de Lucia. That guy is an actor, a white man playign a Chinese man's role. Bruce Lee created that character as given his charisma and incredible martial arts ability

...uh, settle down grasshopper, I'm sure you'll get over it....

I really hope you're kidding and that I'm just missing the wink over the internet.
Life is too short to take some things that seriously.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2004 0:37:15

Miguel de Maria

RE: Listen to this (in reply to Jamey

I really hope you're kidding and that I'm just missing the wink over the internet.
Life is too short to take some things that seriously.

Jamey,
I spoke too harshly, I shouldn't have used those words. Also, I didn't mean anything negative toward you. Just venting my frustration and sadness at the racism Hollywood had and continues to have toward Asians. But nothing against you, Jamey.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2004 14:41:59

Miguel de Maria

Wow, lots of great thoughts to consider here.

1. "for compas you only need a thumb and a finger" --sure, Simon, and I bet there are many excellent flamenco guitarists that use that thumb and finger to do a whole lot more, too! But I don't think compas is intrinsically simple. I think the act of playing a repeating rhythm is a fairly basic, although not easy, skill. But then there is the idea of becoming familiar with all the variations and "connations" of a particular rhythm, internalizing them and eventually being able to interact and execute them. For example, in Bulerias you can see that not only are there several different basic rhythms (depending on who you talk to), but often several alternate rhythms going on. Probably all of these need to be kept tabs on while you're playing it, in some fashion.

2. "why do I play guitar?" I have to admit that playing guitar is a bit of an ego thing for me. I'm not like most of you guys taht have already established careers. This is my first career, and I guess I do identify with my guitar skill. I want to get real good, because I see myself as the type of person who achieves his goals. I would never be satisfied being mediocre in something like guitar technique. Last night I gigged with two fairly average musicians, who have been playing out 10 years here in Phoenix. I wouldn't want to do it like them, I take the time to perfect my skills. I don't want a sloppy technique, I have a firm vision of how my guitar will sound and I do what it takes to achieve that.

3. "human CD players versus creators" I see where you're coming from Jim, but I don't wholly agree. I see nothign with performing good music that I don't writer. If you can let loose and just play music, it's a nice state to get into and good way to spend your time. You express your personality and musicality regardless of whether you've written the music. Sometimes "writing" is just rather random doodling on the fretboard anyway. That being said, I look forward to writing my own songs, too.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2004 14:49:52

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Zurdo
I guess what I want to know is what drives you? When you hear negative things about your music does it get you down? does it drive you more? do you not care at all?

I have to be honest and say that like Mike, I rarely hear negative things about my music. Also like Mike, 99% of the time its actually the opposite ie people coming up and saying how much they loved it. This answers your first question - the ability to share music with people and get that emotional reaction, that confirmation that I am communicating something, that validation that I doing something with music, is what drives me.

Tom, when you get paid to do something that makes people so happy, it make you feel very humbled and very fortunate. There is nothing quite like it.

BTW, I do not consider uploading a piece of music and getting critical feedback to be negative. That's simply peer evaluation. You never stop learning, you never 'get there', there is always something to begained from other people.

quote:

Guitarists are very competitive. There's always someone who's better or thinks he is. If your a professional, and people pay to hear you, chances are that a lot of the people in the audience are guitarists as well. That would drive me nuts. I think I would be too focused on NOT messing up rather than on my music.?

Professionals aren't like that Tom. In my experience, the notion of who is better than who and one-upmanship is something for the playground. There is mutual respect amongst all the working guitarists I know, for we all have to face the same battles to find decent work and to 'make it' as you put it. The notion of who is better than who just doesn't come in to it. We each have to make our mark, find our niche. I can play stuff some of them can't and vice versa.

There will be some people, no doubt, who play guitar and like to go to gigs to stand at the back and whisper to their mates about the mistakes the guy on stage is making. No doubt it makes them feel big and important, and gives the impression that they are somehow 'better'. These people are actually very rare, and are just frustrated wannabe bedroom guitarists. I have only ever encountered one in hundreds of gigs. Most guitarists want to talk about gear, how long I've been playing, whether I do full time for a living, whether I teach, etc etc,

Hoever, it does put the pressure on for me when I know there is another local working guitarist in the audience, especially if they haven't seen me play before.

Jon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 18 2004 8:36:55

Miguel de Maria

I have to admit that in some respects I do feel a bit of rivalry to some of the other guitarists in this broad genre in my town. I am one of the newest on the scene, so of course I want to establish myself. And I do like to check out the other guitarists' abilities and repertoires to see how I stack up, what I should concentrate on, and maybe what I can learn from their presentation. There is one guitarist in particular in town that I consider a direct rival to me, as he seems to be going for the same eventual goals and using a lot of the same imagery and ideas. But besides him, everyone else feels more like a co-worker than a rival.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 18 2004 17:39:54

Mark2

quote:

With so many of us giris trying to do it without teacher, canteor or dancer, just CDs and some tabs, isn't a non-Spanish solo flamenco star inevitable? Like Eric Clapton for example.

Maybe not. Is there such a thing as a flamenco "star" soloist who isn't established amoung Spanish flamencos? Only Manitas. Will Spanish flamencos accept as a "star" someone who has not proven themselves accompanying great singers? I think not. Can a person expect to create valid flamenco music without interacting with other flamencos? And finally, will players such as this talented fellow gain respect from flamencos by performing other people's music, when in flamenco, every great player is expected to create his own? Might be quite a while before we see the "Clapton" of flamenco, but then again, marketing is a powerful thing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 18 2004 18:12:13

Miguel de Maria

Mark,
if you are looking for "Claptons" of flamenco, look no further than your Manitas and then the one and only Carlos Montoya! Although he actually did perform with some of the greats, such as Carmen Amaya. And finally, I have to mention Paco Pena, and finally....Juan Martin! There, I said it!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 18 2004 20:48:59
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post