Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Mixing woods Blanca/Negra   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

sean65

Mixing woods Blanca/Negra 

Hi guys,

I've recently seen a guitar I quite fancy. It's a Mixta.

The sound board is the usual spruce affair but the sides are a mixture of cypress and rosewood. The cyrpess half joining to the (front) soundboard and the rosewood half joining to the back.

The back is again cypress with a rosewood strip down the middle in line with the neck.

From what I understand it could be described as a 'snappy sounding negra' or a slightly more resonant blanca.

Does anyone have any experience of such a combination and if so what are your thoughts on this design.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2010 8:41:47

HemeolaMan

RE: Mixing woods Blanca/Negra (in reply to sean65

sounds like it would be difficult for the sides not to expand and contract at different rates. are there (for lack of a better word) side strips between the pieces?

I wonder if the reason we don't see more of these is the expansion contraction issue. perhaps ?

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2010 22:18:07

sean65

quote:

are there (for lack of a better word) side strips between the pieces?

Good question, not sure. I'll take a closer look. The way the different woods behave over time is what concerns me. Instead of maturing gracefully they might conflict with each other. Maybe not, but I do wonder why you don't see this design often.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2010 2:42:21

hamia

quote:

ORIGINAL: sean65

Hi guys,

I've recently seen a guitar I quite fancy. It's a Mixta.

The sound board is the usual spruce affair but the sides are a mixture of cypress and rosewood. The cyrpess half joining to the (front) soundboard and the rosewood half joining to the back.

The back is again cypress with a rosewood strip down the middle in line with the neck.

From what I understand it could be described as a 'snappy sounding negra' or a slightly more resonant blanca.

Does anyone have any experience of such a combination and if so what are your thoughts on this design.

I got one of these from Jeff Sigurdsonn some years back. Nice sounding guitar - more like a negra than a blanca. No problem with the wood cracking so far - and I live in a very dry region, especially if I forget to use a humidifier.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2010 3:39:21

HemeolaMan

i suppose if you take a look at the backs of baroque guitars and lutes you see the interleaved staves of different woods. but even them theres some sort of purfling between the staves typically.

someone told me it was pear and boxwood, but i suspect that those two are more similar than cypress and rosewood!

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2010 4:27:01

kovachian

I think the reason you don't see more blanca/negra hybrids is just plain old tradition. The only exceptions I can see being made is if the new idea is from someone famous, ie PdL and the negra.

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2010 7:26:51

stephen hill

I have made a few guitars with the backs in cypress and rio rosewood strips but cypress sides. It always seems a bit fragile to join the sides although in baroque guitars this was common. The sound was darker that a blanca and looked great although not in tradition

stephen hill - granada spain
http://www.spanishguitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2010 3:35:07

el topo

I'd like to try building a blanca with black stained cypress back and sides, and a negra with bleached rosewood back and sides to try in a blind test to see if players could tell which was which.

Mira como son las cosas.
El clavel no tiene espinas.
La que tiene es la rosa!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2010 17:43:14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message