Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Petenera Goes to Amazon!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

MichaelBee

Petenera Goes to Amazon! 

Petenera has been travelling through flamenco lore for over 500 years. Nothing will stop her now! I'm proud to announce that the DVD Petenera – a Flamenco Drama in Music and Dance is now also available in Pal on amazon.co.uk as well as Pal and NTSC on amazon.com! Pal units are shipped from Germany (only a few days), NTSCs are shipped from California. ¡ olé !

Michael B.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2009 17:49:18

Doitsujin

RE: Petenera Goes to Amazon! (in reply to MichaelBee

Could you give some more infos? So you want to sell that DVD. Thats fine. Looks ok to me.

I want to use the chance to ask a question of interest Ive never thought about because the flamenco that Im interested in started with Ramon Montoya. As I remember he was born roughly around 131 years ago.. and it got interesting when he was around 40..so 90 years ago.

So As I know flamenco guitar started roughly about 150 years ago and improoved first with Ramon Montoya. Than there were all the today known as "traditional" guys and afterwards Paco and Co. known as "modern" guys.
What kind of flamenco was popular before 150 years till 500 years in past except some singing and dancing?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2009 11:06:27

MichaelBee

RE: Petenera Goes to Amazon! (in reply to Doitsujin

Hola Doisujin,

I'm not a musicologist but I was raised by a flamenco singer-guitarist (and more recently dancer) who learned the old school with people like Carlos Montoya. Hence we are not fans of Paco de Lucias, Joachin Cortez and the likes, although I absolutely acknowledge the very important role they play in what flamenco has become today. What you can see or hear on Petenera Dance Drama is nowhere near as flashy or fast as what contemporaries are doing, but it comes closer to what was performed 100 years ago in courtyards, juergas and the mines, for example. There is a unique piece on the DVD, a Martinete, performed á capella by José Galván that answers your questions better than I ever could.

But in a nutshell, it is said that flamenco really started with the singing. Petenera was known to be a singer and a dancer, and that is known to be about 5 centuries ago. The guitar didn't really come in till the 19th century, although I've heard of vihuela flamenco pieces before that; and the guitar played an important role in the early 2oth century, when flamenco was a very popular art form before the Franco regime when it was literally banned.

Musicologists base the theory of flamenco originally coming from India on transcripts that were only recently deciphered, but of course the Gypsies did really bring it to Spain along with a great mixture of influences through their travels both the north route via Europe and the south via Africa. Add the influence of the Moors and the rest of Spanish history, blend it with the Gypsies being flamenco's main carriers for so long, add the last decades and the end of the Franco regime and you get what we have now.

In other words, the answer to your final question is "none". It was only singing and dancing and it was not really that popular at all until about 150 years ago.

Do yourself a holiday favor and order the DVD. It is a lesson in flamenco history that our artists are better in giving than I am – I am more than happy to have had the honor of capturing it for the screen.

Best from Michael, the director and editor of Petenera – a Flamenco Drama in Music and Dance. musicfilmfactor.com, amazon.co.uk and amazon.com

Michael B.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2009 14:19:44

Doitsujin

Thank you for the explenations! That sounds interesting. I´ll think about that and definetly check out the demo tomorrow!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2009 14:36:51

Kate

quote:

ORIGINAL: MichaelBee
The guitar didn't really come in till the 19th century, although I've heard of vihuela flamenco pieces before that; and the guitar played an important role in the early 2oth century, when flamenco was a very popular art form before the Franco regime when it was literally banned.

Hi Michael welcome to the forum. I was just wondering about your statement that flamenco was practically banned under Franco. I know laws were made to prevent gatherings and singing was forbidden in bars but I thought Franco actually promoted flamenco as a national music much to the dismay of everyone except the Andalucians. In the 1950s a chair of Flamenco studies was established at the University of Jerez which doesn't seem possible if flamenco had been frowned upon. it was also during the Franco regime that the tablaos were established. I must ask at our local Peña, 100 years old, what happened there during the Franco years and go back to my Franco books and notes. Been a while since I studied all this so I may be wrong here. Anyway Flamenco under Franco would be a nice title for a book ! Good luck with Petenera !

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2009 12:34:31

MichaelBee

RE: Petenera Goes to Amazon! (in reply to Kate

Hi Kate! Thanks for your welcome! You're absolutely right. I was going a bit fast on that reply and I should have been specific about synagogues being banned until the end of the Franco Regime and cultural expression banned during it, indeed except flamenco and bullfighting. Doitsujin will be interested in knowing – as you obviously do – that the end of the Franco regime led to freedom of cultural expression which in turn eventually led to the development of new forms of flamenco. Thanks for the correction! I should be embarrassed :-)

Best from Michael, and thanks for the luck wishes. Oh, and PS: do yourself a favor and order the DVD – you won't be sorry! :-)

Michael B.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2009 13:06:10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote