Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: What do you think of?????   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   2 3 [4] 5 6    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

mark indigo

RE: What do you think of????? (in reply to Ramon Amira

for PromCrit, everyone else, sit back with your popcorn, go back to sleep, flip channels, play some scales, whatever we'll wake you up when we're done

quote:

You forgot to mention Paco de Lucia himself

i didn't forget, he was one half of "los chiquitos de algeciras" which was why i mentioned that stage name

The point is, everyone knows where Paco is from, that his mother is from Portugal, etc. etc. he doesn't hide anything, he doesn't make a big deal of it.

JM presents himself in his promotional publicity material as the torch bearer of some kind of pure and sacred tradition, you know, as if he were someone like Pedro Bacan or Moraito or someone. So in order to present yourself as someone like that you have to have flamenco ancestry going back generations, and grow up in Barrio Santiago or Lebrija - are you with me so far? - and if you want to appear like that you would definately state your place of birth in Andalucia in said promo stuff. But JM doesn't ("early days in Malaga") and that absence in itself is noticeable, significant - are you getting this? - why doesn't he say where he was born on his website or publicity etc.?

If this is true, it might have started out as a thing to get work in the UK by exaggerating or over-emphasising or even faking the "Spanish" and "Andaluz" thing. What i was trying to get at with my previous post about that was in the UK you often find yourself playing to an audience that has no knowledge or appreciation of flamenco, who are unable to judge based on listening to the music, and who want to know that you are "authentic" so they can let themselves like what they hear safe in the knowledge that it's the "real thing".

I don't care where he was born, or where he grew up, or which accent he started out with, i just think the guy is not completely straight up. I have never thought his accent sounded the same as other Andaluz people i have known, even ones who came over the the UK in their twenties and stayed twenty years, i have always thought that there is something not quite right about JM, his accent, his publicity, it just doesn't quite square up for me... but i could be wrong. Maybe he is English and grew up in Spain, maybe he is Spanish and grew up in England. Maybe he is Gibralterian. I just don't know, and nor does anyone else, and that's kinda odd too, I think. A copy of his birth certificate would clear it up once and for all, but you know what, i don't really care, and i'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, i just think it's worth pointing out some of this stuff to someone who has obviously never come across this info before.

There are lots of guitarists who i like who aren't Andalusian, who aren't Spanish, who are English, American, half English half Spanish, etc. etc. That really isn't the issue for me. The issue is that there is a noticeable lack of a piece of information that is only really important because it is missing and because if the context it is missing from.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 14:33:22

Doitsujin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arash
maybe his children will also play guitar later.

dont forget Paco is a hybrid. His children wont have the same abilities as him.. I think I alanyzed that in more detail in another thread.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 14:36:13

mark indigo

RE: What do you think of????? (in reply to Mike_Kinny

quote:

Paco de Lucia ..... definitely no god.

the thing with this is, it's not us nobodies who think he's a god, what do we know? it's people like Tomatito, Vicente Amigo, Cañizares, practically every professional player i ever speak to, everyone looks up to Paco as a genius, yes, even Paco Peña refers to him as "the greatest flamenco guitarist"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 14:36:16

John O.

RE: What do you think of????? (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

The stick thing sounds hard..but it only sounds hard in english

Uhhh, no, I think it IS hard and quite uncomfortable

quote:

Ok to the rest of my words about Strunz and Farah... Im sorry but you have to suck my balls.

How can someone NOT find this funny???

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 14:43:06

Mike_Kinny

RE: What do you think of????? (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

the thing with this is, it's not us nobodies who think he's a god, what do we know? it's people like Tomatito, Vicente Amigo, Cañizares, practically every professional player i ever speak to, everyone looks up to Paco as a genius, yes, even Paco Peña refers to him as "the greatest flamenco guitarist"

Yeah, and I heard from some of those people that Paco was the first to use capo in flamenco, he invented alzapua, he invented iia rasgeo (except Ruben), etc. etc.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 14:46:34

[Deleted] (in reply to John O.

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 15:02:02

Wannabee

So does this guy have "unt schtick upen zie arsenzie"?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 15:51:30

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: What do you think of????? (in reply to Wannabee

lol, absolutely :) - but he's obviously reading words and an instructional video is different by nature to a performance, this one serves its purpose well...i'd be disappointed if he had this kind of poker face during a performance too...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 16:02:25

Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wannabee

"unt schtick upen zie arsenzie"?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 16:19:33

Wannabee

Sorrry, couldn't resist. My apologies go out to all German people.

I'm part German too by the way.

Regarding Paco Pena's style, I used to find his playing boring as well, but that was before I really started listening to what he's doing.

I challenge anyone to be able to pull off his pieces with the same crisp, clean style of playing he has perfected.

Juan Serrano, I respect him for what he is, a man of his era who plays in the style of his era and he does it brilliantly I might add. It is nice to hear someone playing in the traditional style sometimes.

Jaun Martin, well I respect him for promoting flamenco, but I don't think he's "the bee's knees" as a teacher either. His books are helpful, but don't go far enough in explaining compas and rhythm. I don't know much about his older books/videos, so maybe they are better.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 16:32:29

John O.

Conny Sommer! He's a well known percussionist in the German flamenco scene.

Don't know Fondo Flamenco, Peret or Strunz & Farah.

I have a huge respect for Paco Pena though I've heard more than once that his teaching method is very closed-minded. However I know many guitarists learned from him who are not like that, Tino Van Der Sman being one. Juan Serrano is NOT one of them. I love hearing him accompany (like on Carmen Linares' album) but I couldn't imagine getting through a solo album of his.

I didn't need Juan Martin as a beginner. Thank God.

Esteban. Get it any way you can, I say. Others pose as fortune tellers on TV.

Vicente is simply amazing. I couldn't write anything about him you all don't already know.

About the "over the top" thing. Anyone who wants to make a mark in flamenco, especially in Spain, has to define themself. Pushing the boundaries and creating new ideas is an imporant part of maintaining the art and keeping it fresh, just like in any other music. Otherwise you could just put on any old flamenco album.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 17:25:02

John O.

quote:

I'm part German too by the way.

Yeah, that'll help

Seriously, I'm not German but have lived here for 16 years. A lot of people here have a stick up there - Doit's not one of them, believe me

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 17:26:46

Wannabee

So what do you guys/gals think of this style of bulerias?

I bought this DVD/book set and was a bit disappointed. I thought it was going to be step by step instructions on traditional bulerias, but it was just this piece scored out and then broken down into falsettas and half speed recordings.

His playing is awsome, I just don't like the style of the composition much.

I find it kind of boring, not enough rhythmic excitment. I don't mean to be critical, I just am not thrilled with his compositional style.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 17:32:45

Arash

quote:

I bought this DVD/book set and was a bit disappointed. I thought it was going to be step by step instructions on traditional bulerias, but it was just this piece scored out and then broken down into falsettas and half speed recordings.

His playing is awsome, I just don't like the style of the composition much.

I find it kind of boring, not enough rhythmic excitment. I don't mean to be critical, I just am not thrilled with his compositional style.

i won't comment on composition, as this is a question of taste, but he seams to be a good guitarist, with solid and good technique and maybe a great teacher (live).

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 17:45:04

Wannabee

Well, let me better explain what I mean.

As a piece of music it's fine, I was just a bit disappointed that this was marketed as an instructional video for bulerias. Perhaps this says more about me and my personal tastes than anything else, but I was expecting at least a mix of some didactic compas patterns from various traditional sources. I wasn't expecting an explanation of only a single piece of music.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 18:12:29

GuitarVlog

RE: What do you think of????? (in reply to veet

quote:

ORIGINAL: veet
Though Adam may have been born in Israel, much of his upbringing was in Spain. His father, Dino del Monte, has spent most of his life in Madrid, and claims Sephardic Granada roots. Look up Dino's myspace page - great pics of Adam as a kid.

I did. One page I found showed his name to be Dino Kofler!

Like father like son!

EDIT: Or is it like son like father?

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 18:19:39

Arash

quote:

Well, let me better explain what I mean.

As a piece of music it's fine, I was just a bit disappointed that this was marketed as an instructional video for bulerias. Perhaps this says more about me and my personal tastes than anything else, but I was expecting at least a mix of some didactic compas patterns from various traditional sources. I wasn't expecting an explanation of only a single piece of music.

i understand what you are looking for.
i guess you will have same problem with Encuentro DVDs from others like Chicuelo, etc, too....
so....do you already have the 2 DVDs from Gerhard Graf Martinez?

but WARNING ,,,,he is german (just kidding)

here is a little part of it

or look for Oscar Herrero DVDs, but he speaks spanish in them..

or jason mc guire online lessons i can recommand too

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 18:29:22

Wannabee

Yes, I have the Graf-Martinez books, but I didn't get the DVD versions...

Foolish of me, I know.

I like Oscar Herrero's DVD's, I have #2 as well as lots of other books and things.

I'm taking on-line lessons from www.newlearningvision.com
Adam del Monte is the instructor. He's very good, but sometimes his material is too advanced for me.

I have a problem with "paypal" so I can't take the lessons from a lot of other sites. I wish I could figure a way around this, but at the moment my hands are tied...so to speak.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 19:02:00

Ramon Amira

quote:

Hi Wannabee -
You posted this stuff up "In reply to Prominent Critic." I certainly never suggested this stuff, so I assume that reference to me was accidental. I clicked on it out of curiosity, but I had just finished dinner, and I really wanted to keep it down. Does anyone actually take this silly nonsense seriously?

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 19:54:16

Ramon Amira

RE: What do you think of????? (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

I don't care where he was born, or where he grew up, or which accent he started out with

As I said in my last post, I don't give a good ****either. He is what he is, and he's done some good things for a lot of beginners, and he's generated interest in flamenco.

P.S. I have a sneaking suspicion that with my forty years in flamenco I don't need your "sit back with your popcorn" remark.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 20:10:26

Wannabee

Hmmm, I have not a clue how to operate this forum.

How do I reply to anyone other than to click the reply button at the bottom of the page. I am clueless....oh and did I mention that I still have no clue. *_*

back in the days when God was handing out clues, I got in the line that said glue and this problem has stuck with me ever since.

OK.

I won't quit my day job.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 20:22:32

Ramon Amira

Don't worry too much about it. All the crap on this forum doesn't amount to much in the scheme of eternity.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 20:36:38

at_leo_87

this thread is hilarious! i just got a good abdominal work out reading through the posts.

quote:

Ok to the rest of my words about Strunz and Farah... Im sorry but you have to suck my balls.

LOL. doit for president!

btw, i've asked this before. does paco have a son?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 21:23:11

orsonw

Here's a Paco Pena performance I enjoy. His stick doesn't seem to holding him back too much!

There's a youtube comment somewhere below about him looking like a doll but he's definitely moving his whole body when playing, even with quite some attitude at times. His sound has attack and attitude.

I really enjoyed this tientos, it has some good energy although at the very end he does look like a puppet when someone lets go of the strings.

I'd rather just ignore what I don't like and I'd say at least half of the performances I've seen have done nothing for me. At worst there was a second or two of greatness all night, at best most of but rarely all of the performance was great. That's one of the wonderful things about flamenco, a transitory glimpse of transcendence and greatness and sometimes lots of **** in between.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 22:56:04

kozz

Manolo Sison has "a-straight-back" also, and moves his head, but muy duende...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 23:03:44

mark indigo

quote:

Yeah, and I heard from some of those people that Paco was the first to use capo in flamenco, he invented alzapua, he invented iia rasgeo (except Ruben), etc. etc.

are you talking about ruben or someone else? is this meant to be serious or frustrated sarcasm because someone has a different opinion to you and actually is trying to say something interesting about it and back up what they say? if it's a joke, try using these otherwise, what are you trying to say?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 23:09:39

mark indigo

quote:

I don't need your "sit back with your popcorn" remark

i was meaning that everyone else is sitting back (with their popcorn) and watching this thread for entertainment - when the subject of JM comes up often people get upset one way or the other about him and sometimes things get a bit heated, and sometimes people resort to personal insults - not us though, we're cool! so they will all be a bit disappointed that neither of us has sunk that low and/or got ourselves banned
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 23:17:00

por medio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike_Kinny

quote:

???
Not sure what you're trying to do here Mike but Mark is correct.

I believe what Paco has done with each album to push composition, techniques and treatment of Compas to the next level is unprecedented and I would say most people (including Tomatito etc) would agree to that.

Whether you like it or not is another thing all together. But gees, I have to say he indeed is an incarnation of a Holy kind!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 23:22:36

mark indigo

quote:

Juan Martin and Juan Serrano have created some very good teaching material. I don't like their solo playing but if they had a flamenco show with dancers, singers, etc. I would gladly attend.

btw, have you seen JM accompany dancers? anyone who saw the tour with Eva Yerbabuena back in the mid-nineties will know what i'm talking about.

the show i saw they had given up completely on JM even trying to accompany the dancers and so he came on and played a couple of polite solos and then went off and Paco Jarana (Eva's husband) came on and played for the dancers and singers. repeat after interval. at the end JM came back on to join the rest of the group, he looked like he was miming while grinning inanely. This was when i first started to think there was something not quite right about the JM thing, and before i had heard any of the "rumours".

I later heard from other people that earlier in the tour he had been on stage with the dancers and it had been a disaster.

i have seen him since then with dancers, and his accompaniment has been tentative, plodding and simplistic - you can't excuse him by saying it's "old school" or "traditional" because when you compare it to Manuel Morao or Melchor de Marchena, he looks like a student playing for a dance class.... in fact he looks and sounds a bit like he learnt some chord sequences from a book....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 23:24:58

mark indigo

RE: What do you think of????? (in reply to Stoney

quote:

I respect other's opinions but not erroneous info that some folk (here and anywhere) think they can get away with it cause their bulerias is better than person X's.

i wonder who you are talking about?

believe me, there are some very high level players here, and there are also some very knowledgeable aficionado's of flamenco.... and some of them (ie. players and knowledgeable people) are the same people!

just check out any of the threads about solea por bulerias, people like Ricardo and Norman really know what they are talking about, their level of knowledge is way beyond mine, and it has taken me years to get to the point where i know enough to even appreciate the level these guys are on.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2009 23:29:15
Page:   <<   <   2 3 [4] 5 6    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   2 3 [4] 5 6    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post