Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Peter Tsiorba Guitar Builder   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Patrick

Peter Tsiorba Guitar Builder 

Last Friday Mr. Peter Tsiorba at his shop hosted me for a very enjoyable afternoon of talking and playing some of his very fine guitars. Peter is a very attentive young builder located in my State of Oregon (US). He's really not that young, it's that I am so old he just seems young.

I am very picky about what I like and don't like in a guitar so I am a pretty hard sell. Before I even play it, I have a fairly good sense if I am going to like a given guitar or not. I'm not talking esthetics as much as set up and feel. I have owned my share of high-end guitars and if the set up isn't right I don't care how good it sounds. Period.

The first guitar Peter handed me was a Blanca. Before I played it, I spent a couple of minutes looking it over. I could tell right off, this guy has it pretty much figured out. Good low action all the way across. Neck profile was right on. This guitar had just the right amount of buzz. Personally I am not the biggest fan of blanca’s, but this one was a very nice guitar.

The second one I played was an East Indian negra that really perked me up. Now I have been down the road a few times with negra’s and in my opinion most sound like classical’s with tap plates on them. This negra was really, really nice…not perfect, but very close. Basses where clean, but not overpowering. Mid’s were bright like they should be. The trebles were a bit weak, but this was a new guitar that had just been strung up. This guitar had very warm overtones, which I look for in a good negra. All of his guitars are French Polished, which was outstanding and his prices are very attractive.

If I didn’t already own a Green Brazilian and a DeVoe East Indian, I would have an order in with Peter. In a couple of months he will have a Brazilian negra ready to play. So who knows, maybe I will have an order in soon!

www.tsiorba.com

Go on his web site and scroll through the pictures…nice stuff.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2009 14:55:35

Escribano

RE: Peter Tsiorba Guitar Builder (in reply to Patrick

Peter is also a member here:
http://www.foroflamenco.com/showprofile.asp?memid=3597

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2009 4:06:54

Peter Tsiorba

Hello everyone. Patrick mentions a Brazilian rosewood negra in this thread, and since it is now finished, I thought I'd post some photos of it.

Photo album link can be found here: Brazilian negra Flamenco Guitar

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Peter Tsiorba
Classical-Flamenco-Guitars
tsiorba.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2010 21:54:46

estebanana

Wow, that's really nice. Put up some more pictures.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2010 8:07:20

Peter Tsiorba

RE: Peter Tsiorba Guitar Builder (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Wow, that's really nice. Put up some more pictures.

Here are some photos. The guitar is french polished.

Attachment (4)

Peter Tsiorba
tsiorba.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2010 10:48:09

estebanana

Gohwageeus.

Is it spoken for?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2010 12:50:21

Peter Tsiorba

quote:

Gohwageeus.

Is it spoken for?

Yes, this was a commission by a Los Angeles area musician. He will be coming up to Portland, Oregon to pick it up.

Stephen, one of those days I will be traveling down to California to visit friends and family. I'd like to stop by your shop and see your work, if that is possible.

Attachment (1)

Peter Tsiorba
tsiorba.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2010 21:25:35

estebanana

quote:

Stephen, one of those days I will be traveling down to California to visit friends and family. I'd like to stop by your shop and see your work, if that is possible.

Peter,
Please do. I live in Oakland just across the Bay Bridge from San Francisco. You're an excellent flamenco builder and I would love to see your work in person and trade notes on playing and building. And if I can get up to see Gene Clark this spring I'll try to pass through your area. Do you know Eugene? Your work looks clean like his.

Again that's a beautiful guitar.

Stephen

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 9:08:10

Patrick

I had the pleasure of playing this very guitar a few weeks ago. I can say it plays as well as it looks. I am ultra critical of negra’s. In my opinion, most are classicals with tap plates on them. Peter has it figured out. This guitar had a really cool mid range snap to it like a good blanca, but nice rich overtones of a negra. This guitar was kind of cool aesthetic wise. The guy that commissioned it wanted a Conde like look to it. Peter did a neat Media Luna headstock and used a Rose rosette kind of like a Conde. In my opinion, a lot better guitar then most A25's for a fraction of the cost.

Peter's workmanship is top of the line. His French polish is a bunch better than a lot of big name builders.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2010 10:40:03

Peter Tsiorba

quote:

...if I can get up to see Gene Clark this spring I'll try to pass through your area. Do you know Eugene? Your work looks clean like his.

Stephen

Stephen,

Thanks for the invite. I did spend some time at Eugene's shop during one of the GAL conventions. I went there with Ervin Somogyi, and had a chance to see Eugene's work, chat about methods, French polish, etc. Eugene also happened to have a completed guitar which he just strung-up--an opportune moment to play a little!

Peter Tsiorba
tsiorba.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2010 9:51:13

erezjonathan

I am the guy who commission the guitar from Peter.
I must say that this is the BEST sounding flamenco guitar I played. I am playing the guitar for 39 years and played on some very expansive flamenco guitars. This is the BEST. The workmanship is superior. The Brazilian rosewood is so beautiful and the top German spruce is AAA+++++ . Unbelievable!!! I knew that Peter was my man after talking to some other luthiers. Peter made me a dream guitar and 100% the sound I was looking for. I am dreaming for one more guitar like this from Peter and I will have him make me the Dream #2.

GOD BLESS YOU PETER.

Thank you.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2010 23:15:10

erezjonathan

RE: Peter Tsiorba Guitar Builder (in reply to Peter Tsiorba

PETER.
YOU ARE SOMETHING SPECIAL.
You made me a dream guitar.
Thank you.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2010 23:20:11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]