Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Flamenco from Extremadura   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

gshaviv

Flamenco from Extremadura 

I always thought Andelucia was the home of flamenco, but lately I'm hearing there is also a lot of flamenco in Extremadura. What is the history of flamenco in Extremadura and are there any differences in style between Andelucia and Extremadura?

Guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2009 4:18:40

Ricardo

RE: Flamenco from Extremadura (in reply to gshaviv

Mainly, two special songs come from that region, the tangos extremeños (very poplular, but different the the tangos from Cadiz, Camaron for example does those) and Bulerias Extremeños (some folks call these "jaleos").

In addition, I have a few favorite singers that come from that region who's personal style also reveals the difference of that region vs singers from say Jerez or sevilla or cadiz. Porrina de Badajoz (Marques de Porrina) and his nephews Ramon el Portugues and Guadiana. Fantasitic and well known flamenco singers. Also Indio Gitano (El Moro), who's recording with Gerardo Nuñez has exemplary tangos of the style, but his bulerias are more Jerez style as a contrast.

As a side note, there are other regions of spain that have some special singers and in some cases styles. Madrid, obviously, has unique non andaluz flamencos, especially guitarists for dance. (Caño Roto school, such as Viejin, Entri, Ramon Jimenez, Jesus del Rosario etc ) and many singers and dancers of course. Barcelona has an important community of non andaluz flamencos (most probably claim some family heritage to andalucia though), Carmen Amaya, Belen Maya, Maite Martin, Miguel Poveda, Ginesa Ortega, Duquende, JM cañizares, Chicuelo etc. And even places like Salamanca (Rafael Farina) or Pamplona (Sabicas) have spawned unique flamenco artists. Saying only Andalucia is a fair generalization though IMO, so long as exceptions are understood.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2009 9:54:48

gshaviv

RE: Flamenco from Extremadura (in reply to Ricardo

Thanks Ricardo. Musically what are the differences between the Tangos Extremeños and Tangs de Cadiz?

Guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2009 21:15:40

Anders Eliasson

The melody of the singing and the chords the guitar plays.

Tangos extremeños does a ( playing por medio) F Bb G7 C... F Bb G7 C Bb A cycle (there are varieties).

You have tangos from other places as well: Triana, Granada, Malaga and more that I cant remember.

In extremadura, Badajoz was the center. They once had a very lively peña. I was in Badajoz 2 years ago (not far from Huelva), and asked around but it seemed that it was not very lively anymore. A lot of flamencos extremeños had left to Madrid or Sevilla

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2009 0:24:49

gshaviv

RE: Flamenco from Extremadura (in reply to Anders Eliasson

I started listening to this podcast which I think is from Extremadura cause in all their programs they talk a lot about Tangos extremeños and Jaleo extremeños so I figured they are from a radio station of the region and are trying to build on some local pride.

Guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2009 5:59:28

kozz

If you get the DVD "Rito y Geografia del Cante Flamenco" part VI there's a chapter about Extremadure y Portugal with Flora Saavedra and Juan Salazar Saavedra.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2009 0:49:05

Manitas de Lata

Heritage

really gipsy life
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2024 20:18:24

Manitas de Lata

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2024 20:30:22

Manitas de Lata

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2024 20:32:39

Manitas de Lata

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2024 20:56:04

Ricardo

RE: Flamenco from Extremadura (in reply to Manitas de Lata

Fado por Buleria

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=324856&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=fado&tmode=&smode=&s=#324957

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2024 13:17:41

Manitas de Lata

RE: Flamenco from Extremadura (in reply to Ricardo

this is very good by Pourrina thanks Ricardo, a lot of respect between the two styles , languages cultures

should be more conection , more things going on to recover old heritage and develop modern ones.
the only conection that i see sometimes , talkin about guitar , its with Yamandu Costa, the nylon freak

Side to side and no conection , even between gipsies... , but if we put other things aside , higher grounds/goals should be first .
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2024 16:57:53

Manitas de Lata

these guys are touring , curious to see if there any progression about the flamenco guitar part , more than 10 years passed

6 years ago
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2024 12:47:38
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote