Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Spanish Royal Cypress   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Sbu_01

Spanish Royal Cypress 

While I was shopping around for a guitar, I would on occasions come across
Spanish Royal Cypress

and was wondering if that was a simple marketing gimmick or if it was a real kind of tree with crown and scepter.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2009 17:35:54

Anders Eliasson

RE: Spanish Royal Cypress (in reply to Sbu_01

Its all cupressus Semprevirens (spelling?) Everything else is bla - bla - bla.

What matters is the hardness and how it has been sawn. Thats it.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2009 1:36:49

keith

Anders--sadly you are very mistaken. Spanish Royal Cypress is made from the very last cypress tress cut down at the Alhambra. This cypress was cut down by a logger wearing leather shoes made from a bull who died in the ring at a bullfight where Sabicas attended. The trees were cut down during a full moon and after the logger danced around the tree naked (except for those special leather shoes). A well known guitar company in Spain also purchased the wood from 6 felled norwegian spruce trees that Julie Andrews danced around in the movie, the Sound of Music.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2009 6:16:02

aarongreen

Well not exactly a true story Keith. There are plenty of huge cypress trees still growing at the Alhambra, I have a picture of myself giving one a big ol smootch. I took a few cones from it as well and the one I have left is now a three foot sapling growing at my place. I gave the other to a bonsai friend of mine and I am sure his is even more impressive.

The part about the leather shoes and naked logger, well yes that is documented fact. Luckily for him tradition dictated that he had to use an axe and not a chain saw. Much harder to accidentally circumcise yourself with an axe as anyone who has had a chainsaw kickback on them can attest.

Now the really important part, was Julie Andrews naked as well? That I would um, love to see.:)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2009 6:51:32

daffey

LOL!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2009 6:54:45

ngiorgio

RE: Spanish Royal Cypress (in reply to daffey

I thought that the royal cypress was from trees personally cut by King Juan Carlos II and delivered to the Conde family.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2009 8:20:07

edguerin

quote:

I thought that the royal cypress was from trees personally cut by King Juan Carlos II and delivered to the Conde family.

That - of course - is true, however please remember that his Royal Highness is an avid Bonzai grower!!

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2009 9:12:46

keith

aaron, sadly the trees at the alhambra are serf cypress not royal cypress. you can identify the two as the royal cypress trees, since cut down by the conde bros., have a purple hue to the branches at the top and the serf cypress trees have a blue ring (as in work denim) around the base.

as to julie andrews in the nude....oh every christmas time when they play the sound of music i envision her running nude through the alps. makes we think about getting some loderhosen and going to the alps. i do believe she was in a movie where she showed some skin.

speaking of julie/the von trapps. the von trapps live in vermont. my last supervisor for whom i worked when i was in boston dated, in his youth, one of the von trapp girls. apparently momma von trapp was the one that ruled that household with an iron fist.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2009 10:14:57

Anders Eliasson

RE: Spanish Royal Cypress (in reply to aarongreen

quote:

I took a few cones from it as well and the one I have left is now a three foot sapling growing at my place.

Thats the spirit. Plant a tree and let it grow.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2009 11:38:39

Sbu_01

My goodness I am more confused then when I started...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2009 12:54:59

keith

Sbu 01: the royal cypress found in a few guitar lines, conde hermanos comes to mind as the primary user of such cypress, is nothing but an advertising ploy. as you can see a lot of us have experience with this and the chuckles came flying out. a few years ago someone was trying to sell a guitar made with the last cypress harvested from the alhambra and then every so often someone will state the harvesting wood during a full moon, etc. will make it better. i believe the only wood known to have a lunar cycle is primavera (sp?)--at least a wood book i have at home states its' sap flows with the cycle of the moon--or something to that effect.

bottom line--royal spanish cypress is probably as effective in guitar building as those pills they sell on television to make your belly smaller or "that special male body part" larger. just add one part smoke, one part mirror and a lot of hype then mix and serve between two slices of bread and you have the perfect baloney sandwich.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2009 15:22:51

Sbu_01

MMM Baloney or is it Bologna not sure, just as I suspected a marketing ploy thank you all as always for your entertaining answers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2009 15:27:52

keith

bologna would be correct...guess i have been oscar meyerized.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 30 2009 15:30:42
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post