Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

plans fo europe   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

minordjango

plans fo europe 

I booked my ticket .
for europe at last leave in 3 montsh i happy as larry

Ill arrive in Amsterdam a week then a week in Spain then England (Leeds) try to find work !!!.as a teacher.

Guys I know this aint lonely planet but , travel hints and ideas, I love nature and flamenco and well a lot !!

Any ideas of living on a shoestring ive said to myself 1 out of every 3 days ill sleep in a park !!!

Id love to know of any cheap yet a little retro places to go , in Amsterdam and South spain . i want pick up some flamenco lessons, im working on my spanish noiw , and have fun in amsterdamn, there is a lot of cool music things happening there, any one have any MUIST SEE DO things in the above locations ??

when the time is closer ill repost and see if anyone is up for going out !

Also……I have no mastercard, must pay cash I guess, what is the best way to go from amsterdamn (where my flights arrives) to Spain then England , CHEAP IS THE WAY.

\

Spain I will head to South spain, I want to chill and get a few lesssons , and live the gypsy dream a bit , I have been studying linguistics in asia for 6 years .
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 23 2009 22:00:17

Ron.M

RE: plans fo europe (in reply to minordjango

quote:

1 out of every 3 days ill sleep in a park !!!

Not in Leeds you won't MD!
(Unless you wanna wake up dead...which I hear really sucks. )

Edit:
MD....You are either very brave or very mad.

Europe was a brilliant place to bum around in the 60's and early 70's...there were heaps of hippies and peaceful people around. International travel was in it's infancy and folk were friendly and interested in foreign people visiting their country. Young travellers would meet round the main American Express office in the cities and offer car and van rides to other travellers for a share of the petrol, so travel was cheap. Also it gave you a chance to network and share experiences and find the best value and cheapest places to eat and stay.

The world has changed since then amigo...Europe is still recovering from a deep recession, unemployment is high and there is strong public resentment against homeless and poverty stricken foreigners who are seen as economic refugees and pseudo asylum seekers as well as ne'r-do-wells and even child abusers etc.

The only folk you'll find sleeping rough are winos and junkies and folk who have walked out of mental hospitals.....and if you are camped out on a park bench with all your possesions around you and a big wad of money stuffed in your pockets....well...you're gonna have a pretty short holiday!...(if you don't end up in a Police cell if you're lucky... or dead if you are not.)

There are a lot of desperate folk on the streets.

I really think you have to put a bit more planning into this amigo.

I really do.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2009 0:29:07

minordjango

YEs i sure do, im speaking out aloud also, shooting the breeze, when i mention sleeping around the park bench, (Just showing that i need to travel cheap).

i have travel guides and member of lonely planet forum, as you RON an others have a lot more experience i m always happy to here from you, as all of us have the love of flamenco, .

i had planed several months to go yet due to fuds i caould not , the time frame im very flexible , just interested in doing it 3 more months to go, in England (leeds) i have a place to stay (no rent), and i have some savings, im also seeking work , i know its hard, i have a lot of expierence so we see.

cheers ron and others
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2009 6:28:36

Ron.M

MD,

Alas my travel on a shoestring experiences are 40 years old and of no use.

If you have a rent free place to stay in Leeds and have some savings, then you should be able to get by OK for a while especially if you can cook at home.
Raw products are pretty reasonable from Supermarkets, but "ready meals" and stuff will certainly eat into your savings.
Heating can be expensive in the winter unless you can confine yourselves to one room.

If you are looking for work, then the work visa thing could be a problem unless you have secured one already.

If you have a visitor's visa then once that expires, you will have to show you have ample funds to keep going to get an extension.

I don't want to be a downer man, but unless you have certain skills that a UK (or even EU) candidate for the same job does not have, then I can't see it as being very easy.

ATM the UK is really trying to clamp down on folk working without a valid work permit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/6217586/Attorney-General-Baroness-Scotland-fined-5000-over-illegal-immigrant-housekeeper.html

Also beware of any scams which offer to get you a work permit for a fee up front.

Also have a look at this:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2009 8:17:38

minordjango

quote:

Also beware of any scams which offer to get you a work permit for a fee up front.

that exactly why i posted !!!

Ron you're information is so valuable i have the money as i sold my condE!@( X pedro cortes), well im not the best player in the world but i can play .

so the scam thing is real important , flip its hard to get it sorted !! hence selling my wares,.

i guess im ok with the travel yet i must get some work so , ill risk it me thinks !!!

or maybe just find a rich wife@@

thanks ron i respect your advice , really need it , man if i get soem scam ill kil eem , i have been in asia , (scam city !)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2009 9:05:39

minordjango

quote:

I don't want to be a downer man, but unless you have certain skills that a UK (or even EU) candidate for the same job does not have, then I can't see it as being very easy.

ATM the UK is really trying to clamp down on folk working without a valid work permit.

Ron id love to know a littl e more of this is it possible you can tell??

minordjango@gmail.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2009 9:08:01

Ron.M

Yeah MD,

No job agency here charges a client for finding a job...they charge the employer.

Be wary of any business that asks for money for finding you a job, getting you residency status or a work permit.

Also any bona-fide business offering you work here will never ask you for any money to pay for admin costs or anything....again, be suspicious.

On your question....I have no special knowledge...I just watch the news.

Google "UK Immigration" (esp Google News) and you'll see the desirability of having a UK or EU work permit and you will see why scammers predicate on the vulnerable in a huge market, offering a "special" service, where in fact none exists.

Years ago, family run Chinese and Indian restaurants or Aussie Bars could maybe hire friends and fellow Nationals casually so long as they kept a low profile and the Government sort of turned a blind eye.
But not these days.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 24 2009 9:16:08

Graham_B

On a positive point there is some flamenco activity in Leeds.

My sons attending a cante accompaniment class in Leeds tomorrow.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 2 2009 3:02:57
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post