Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Bending machine   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

M.S.A.

Bending machine 

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 1 2009 3:49:07

Aadi

RE: Bending machine (in reply to M.S.A.

Bending machines are very simple devices. If you want to buy one, your destiny awaits at LMI. They'll even sell you plans and raw materials. But no serious engineering skill is required to build one from scratch, and if you're dedicated and a little clever, you can reverse engineer one from a few pictures. Construction tutorials are also available for free on the web. You don't even have to buy the heating blanket LMI recommends (though it is nice)--some people use 100 watt light bulbs and foil to provide heat.

As for other things a beginning luthier needs, there's an awful lot, but the most important thing is information, so get Bogdanovich's book and Cumpiano/Natelson's. These books will provide you with enough details to figure out which tools you need. Cumpiano/Natelson are more low-tech (cheaper) than Bogdanovich, but I like the latter's design more. Neither book covers the flamenco guitar so you'll need another source of information on that, like a plan from GAL.

I've found luthiery to be expensive, unrelentingly challenging, and satisfying. Good luck.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2009 10:31:01

Stephen Eden

a bending iron is fine though and you'll find that you will more than likely to have to use it any way even with a machine.

There are many threads here that have other usefull tols for building guitars though. if you cant find one though have one saved i think

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2009 13:33:18

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: M.S.A.
can anyone suggest some resource where can I find construction plans for bending machine [not bending iron]. Or anything useful regarding the luthiery for someone who is planning to start building guitars?

I've been building guitars since the 1960's and never felt the need for side bending machine. My home made bending iron with a propane torch has served me well for almost 50 years. You want to be a guitar maker why not learn to do it the traditional way?

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2009 14:56:21

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 28 2011 23:30:25
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2009 15:51:37

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 28 2011 23:30:35
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2009 16:02:16

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 28 2011 23:30:45
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 2 2009 16:25:05

jshelton5040

quote:

you are right, luthiery is very satisfying and challenging. it's something very different from simple woodworking, I see some connection with art. good guitar is an incredible work of art... as a process of building I find it very peaceful activity in which people like me can find certain kind of self-realisation. I am obsessed by it, to be honest.

You're correct that guitar making is satisfying and challenging although I prefer fascinating as a description. I don't know what you mean by "simple woodworking" but the actual construction/assembly of a guitar is no more sophisticated than any other form of bench carpentry. The tricky part is building a consistently well crafted guitar with a powerful voice and perfect action.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2009 6:04:13

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 28 2011 23:30:52
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2009 12:43:25

jshelton5040

quote:

can you tell about your subjective reasons and feelings back then at the beginning of your carreer? I mean, it must have been a very idealistic and motivating conditioning...

I was a flamenco guitarist and woodworker long before building the first guitar. Arthritis in the fingers has put an end to playing guitar so I'm studying classical piano (deeply involved with J. Haydn and Mozart sonatas at present ). Building guitars is endlessly fascinating. Unfortunately it has taken most of my life to learn how to build a good one.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 4 2009 6:24:46

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 28 2011 23:31:03
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 4 2009 10:54:31

Stephen Eden

Well having the passion is just the start! There are so many ways to get into building guitars. Many different methods of contstruction and once your there and building you then have to consider then endless possibilities for getting the desired tone from your guitars.

I started with Stephen Hill but only for about 4 months the rest was down to Pablo Requena for my in depth training. I have worked for stephen since then helping out with construction and teaching on his course. There is a small community of guitar makers here in Lewes so getting an opinion from others is very easy. If there was ever a problem I've always had the input from many others. I think that has been very important.

for me the well known makers were making great guitars but most importantly were in the right place at the right time!

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 4 2009 14:47:13

Exitao

I know that a local (to me) luthier has a "build your own guitar" program. He guides you through the process in his shop, but you do the work.

If you can find someone locally who does something similar, it might be worth it to have the supervision and access to the tools. If your first project comes out better than a bastard, you're more likely to really get into it. I think...

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 4 2009 16:56:34

M.S.A.

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 28 2011 23:31:16
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 6 2009 5:25:48

jshelton5040

quote:

what I'm really concerned about is the humidity level. not sure if it's not too high, even in case the workshop would have some nice and propper insulation. what about in Canada in Vancouver? it's quite high as well. does it create some problems for a builder?

High humidity makes building guitars a risky endeavor. It is also hard on your tools (rust, corrosion, warping or cracking of wooden tools, etc.). The assembly and storage area of your shop should ideally be kept around 45% and around 65-70 degrees fahrenheit. If your shop is well built and not too large a small dehumidier can be added for minimal expense. Low humidity shouldn't be a concern in any of the locations you mentioned.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 6 2009 7:25:21

Exitao

quote:

once I'll make my first guitar, it will have to be better than **** as you mention, cause I LOVE GUITARS SOOO MUCH... I feel it in my bones all is gonna work well and I KNOW this is what I'll be doing for the rest of my life. what I don't know up to what extent... my temporary aim is to satisfy myself and my requirements for sound production.

thank you so much for your comment Exitao!

LOL, I don't think our bleeped out words are the same. Mine was meant to mean the son of an unwed mother.

Callidus et iracundus.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 6 2009 13:28:16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote