Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Bulerias a la rondena?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Florian

RE: Bulerias a la rondena? (in reply to Estevan

quote:

t's up to you to let it end here. Just LEAVE IT ALONE.

Ok..ended...wel for this time around anyway

todk this remains get back to me
quote:

3 days ..theres absoluteley no chance for me to back out first this time...todk wanna rub my face in it...heres your chance on a platter

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 7:35:32

TAKITAKATA

I would also like to see the video ,would be great to see how todds technique has developed . Is no one else interested to see this ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 7:45:49

Estevan

RE: Bulerias a la rondena? (in reply to Florian

quote:

todk this remains get back to me

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 7:51:03

Florian

dude i said its over let it go, i stoped it for your sake...the problem between me and todk is not over..it keeps reocurring even when i try everything in my powers for it not to......i have every right to ask him to proove to me how much better then me he is...expecially since he keeps inssisting on dismissing me and beeing rude to me, i have every right to talk back to him with the same tone..i did that...he was honest on how he feels about what i do and i did the same to him...plain and simple..leave with it or ban me

personally i think it should be in the rules...everyone that talks badly about anyone else should be allowed to be challenged by that person

i was polite to you...now you let it go..dont use my ****ing misery to act like the cool headed guy...thats right i said ****ing misery because belive it or not i hate beeing abused more then u hate having to read me beeing angry about it

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 7:53:29

Arash

Just one note:

I am sure that Todds entry was not played with a pick, simply because of the sound
of the thumb! you can achieve this sound only when you play with thumb and with
the left side of the nail (Moraito like). this sound is NOT possible with a Pick.
nobody needs a video for that. this is so clear if you are used to flamenco guitar
sounds. just focus on the recording.

btw, of course i am interested to see the video.
Videos are always cool. From everybody and specially from Todd to see how he plays
with the new technique.

But NOT like this and under THESE circumstances.

You are all ruining his achievement.

However, i am sure that sometime in the next weeks he will upload a video.

But then i want to see the reactions. i bet nothing will change.
Leave this guy alone for gods sake.
he did a great job and now we have a "Todd, you Liar, show us your video thread"

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 7:54:29

gj Michelob

Dismissing the importance of recording tools is a gross underestimation; skilful sound engineering does contribute significantly to enhancing the quality of a recorded performance. Regardless of any manipulation of sound , which too is critical, pro-tool and similar programs afford the unique opportunity to “edit” a digital recording. Notes and segments can be replaced, adjusted and corrected altering yet improving the original performance. Flawless recordings are exactly it “recordings” where the original blemish has been edited, replaced by embellishing afterthoughts.

In my early days as a lawyer (20 years ago) I could uninterruptedly dictate to a secretary a 10 page letter. Now as I write this post, I adjust and revise while misspelled words miraculously convert and awkward grammar is flagged as a silver platter of alternate choices mystically appears. The same is unquestionably available and used with sound.

When I reviewed the submissions for the advanced challenge, I wrote that Ricardo (at the time simply an unidentified “fruit”) managed a fine performance notwithstanding the poor recording. It certainly affected the final product.

HOWEVER:

Whether Todd used his renown engineering skills to improve his recording is a legitimate doubt, yet it is malicious and as such should be dismissed.

At this juncture, it is remarkably unfair to impugn Todd’s recording and ask for evidentiary corroboration (by videotaping) of his performance. We ought to judge the final product, not the means one’s used to achieve it, and Todd worked hard for this challenge and offered a wonderful example that we should emulate not contest.

Todd submitted a well executed and equally well recorded performance. The panel was nearly unanimous in the judges’ discrete views.

HOWEVER YET:

Personally –and I am sure most members did- I truly enjoyed the videos posted by the other contestants. If Todd could offer his, it would complete the Challenge library handsomely. Yet, if other engagements make it impractical we should NOT draw adverse conclusions.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 7:55:00

[Deleted] (in reply to Florian

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 8:28:19

TAKITAKATA

RE: Bulerias a la rondena? (in reply to Guest

I totally agree .
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 8:36:04

Ailsa

RE: Bulerias a la rondena? (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

Dismissing the importance of recording tools is a gross underestimation; skilful sound engineering does contribute significantly to enhancing the quality of a recorded performance.

You are dead right there gj. At the gig I danced at last weekend I would sort have like to have been playing instead. Except the poor guitarist had a hell of a time sorting the sound out - sound man was a nice guy but I think unused to flamenco.

On the topic: I don´t really care if ToddK played with a pick or not, he still wins. I would like to see a video when he has time because I´m sure I could learn from it. But if he doesn´t have time, well, he still played great!

Flo perhaps Todd´s tone was a bit sharp when he was talking about the recording, but it´s obviously something he feels strongly about. No need for you to take offence.

In short - neither of you have anything you need to prove.

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 8:51:21

Florian

RE: Bulerias a la rondena? (in reply to TAKITAKATA

quote:

I totally agree

me too...and i will do the same at the same time as him..first 2 falsetas..he rubbished me and the guy keeps talking trash about my sound i wanna have my effort and my sound compared to his directly in a video with video sound after 3 - 5 days...because "sound has nothing to do with it" and i wouldnt understand

if any of you find that disrespectful i am sorry but its ME the guy is always disrespecting, i have every right to ask him for this...and the odds couldnt be more against me since the guy won the challenge and had six months to get ready...theoretically he dosent have to do anything he cant allready do ...just upload what he allready knows...will take him 10 minutes to beat me

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 8:52:23

kozz

quote:

I've been a witness to the ToddK vs. Florian arguments for about 4 years. Hell, I've even gotten involved in some of them. So this drama isn't new to me.

4 years???? I gonna use the new search function to check that out
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 8:57:25

XXX

I dont think its unrealistic that Toddk was able to change his technique. Impressive, yes, but not unrealistic. Consider, he WAS actually able to play a bit with fingers before, doing arps and rasgeados (those were a mix of pick + fingers). Consider 2, he is obviously fluent in changing or inventing techniques.

In Doits audio the sound was very big and impressive dynamics, yet at the same time one could here that there was no editing, apart from a bit of compression, which is probably due to the camera mic. I am happy that i scored it as first place and also that the videos were posted AFTERWARDS. This way i could concentrate fully on the music. Im not sure if i would have scored everybody the same as i did, if i was to judge the videos. Videos can be elusive, this Rondena video is probably a good example for that, Doits video too, because i thought his playing looked relaxed too. Ricardo on the other hand looked very impressive. In the end, we should not judge the appearance but the music. Some people have big hands and dont need much movement to create sound, or some people just know where and how to hit a string for big sound,... thats all not important to me, as long as there is "the sound".

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 12:16:49

Doitsujin

Well,.. to make it short.. The challenge has been ended.. all what comes now is another shoe.

A big thing that bugs me is... that since the challenge ended...I get f uck-mails from time to time.. Dont these people have only just a little bit of respect or not even honor?? Several people create an account here post not even 1 single post but ask me for the tab.. And in a disrespectful way like " Hi please send me the Tab for la ardila to my email xxx@xxx.com"

Just 2-4 people every week... What would you do? Sending it to 100 people illegally or getting f uck mails? LOL...
Thats for you!! hahaha...

So if anybody wants the tab, please post your request in the foro. Maybe somebody helps you out,..I dont know. But I would advice you to buy the "Tomatito-book" from Faucher.. Its really worth the money. Playable compositions and excellently tabbed.. You´ll love it!!
Theres another person (enrique Vargas) who wrote two books about tomatito..but very badly... so dont do the mistake to buy enriques books.. They are not worth the money,.. you better get them illegally... But Fauchers book you should buy. Well.. lets get back to the topic.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 12:42:17

Florian

RE: Bulerias a la rondena? (in reply to XXX

well my offer is there on the table for him

he hasent given me the benefit of doubt or taken my word for anything..about my sound when i needed him too cause i was using a crappy guitar...i am not about to give him the benefit of doubt and take his word for it when he dosent know how to be a winner by striking out where he didnt need too..when i consided that he won

i am willing to go head to head with him on something he allready does and he won doing..theres absoluteley no reason why he cant beat me in 5 mins flat since i am nobody, cant do it, and hes allready won and can allready play it in one go

i dont wanna hear anymore sh*t about me causing sh*t..i am doing it as politely and calmly as posssible no argument here...just plain discussion

whatever side of the argument u were on you must admit it makes sence..let us argue with our guitars...anyway u look at it hes sopossed to have the advantage

if i backed out because according to him i was a "chiken" before i just made it 1000% eazyer for him now

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 12:42:26

Ron.M

RE: Bulerias a la rondena? (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

Just 2-4 people every week... What would you do? Sending it to 100 people illegally or getting f uck mails? LOL...

I'd throw my shoes at them Doit.

Use a pair of old ones though, so they don't cost much to replace.

(Arash will give you professional advice on this. )

That's why I gave up selling that Flamenco Master thing.

Some people would send like 20 emails enquiring about every single aspect of the program like they were buying a Ferrari and not just spending $20 and then want free tabs and lessons etc as part of the purchase too.

That's just the Internet for you!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 13:04:03

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: Bulerias a la rondena? (in reply to Doitsujin

lol, i didn't get any of those requests, i guess my performance wasn't that impressive
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 13:47:10

ToddK

RE: Bulerias a la rondena? (in reply to xirdneH_imiJ

quote:

lol, i didn't get any of those requests, i guess my performance wasn't that impressive

Hey xirdneH!!! I demand you post a video immediately!!!

You may well have edited your entry note by note, i mean, how do we know?

The only real proof would be video. I put it on the table for you

TK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 13:49:56

Florian

RE: Bulerias a la rondena? (in reply to ToddK

quote:

TK

lol cute

we are past that..its not fair that i am asking you to do what i am not willing to do myself so since putting me down is you fav activitie to do heres your chance...i just wanna go head to head with you now to see who sounds better on video sound..i want you to show me how different u will sound then me because u play great and sound makes no difference to you

just me and u in 3 days...no more big talk

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 14:07:37

xirdneH_imiJ

i already have right after the challenge was finished
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 14:21:43

Florian

RE: Bulerias a la rondena? (in reply to xirdneH_imiJ

quote:

TK

quote:

i already have right after the challenge was finished

TK

hehe ops..i know u tried to be funny loughing at me but now it kind of turned out the other way ...why on earth wouldnt he have a video

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 14:28:57

Arash

Doit even ignored my f uck mail about the tab weeks ago, and i am a member since 3 years
So i had to buy the book too

---

LOL @

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 14:33:20

Ricardo

I warned Todd this would happen before the challenge was over and I heard his audio. He did not seem to think it a big deal really....or maybe he deliberately did NOT make a video just to torture poor florian.

In anycase, all I can say is I am maybe the ONLY GUY here that has seen todd play IN MY FACE STANDING FEW FEET AWAY. And I say, it is true the guy can play perfect, strong, no mistakes in compas live in front of others and palmeros etc etc etc. Regardless of what he could have done editing wise (you can actually hear edits in good audio if you REALLY listen), he was the fair and square winner.

Todd probably will make a video one day if he wants, but not to put florian out of his misery. I would advise Florian not to demand it cuz he doen't have to, and just sit at home enjoying watching you get all upset over NOTHING!!!!

So my advise is just let it go....todd can play....the end.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 14:39:23

Florian

RE: Bulerias a la rondena? (in reply to Ricardo

with all the respect ricardo i would like to play with him...head to head...

if he can play hes got absoluteley nothing to worry about...also theres the litlle experiment where any kind of sound dont matter to him because hes greate...i wanna test that...if he walks the talk

i dont sitt at home trying to torment him i dont get pleasure out of pis8ing people off but if thats what he enjoys then I am here for his challenge..and deserves everything he gets in return

is not that i dont belive you is just that hes pi*sed me off too much over the years ..enjoying himself at others expense...when as you say...he knows full well what hes doing

i got no one else speaking on my behalf but the video i will upload if we gonna do this

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 14:41:44

ToddK

quote:

with all the respect ricardo i would like to play with him...head to head...

You were presented with that oppurtunity. You quit.

You missed your oppurtunity. Sorry man. That's how it goes.

Im not putting myself out there again for you to just quit again.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

I wont play the fool twice. I proved and accomplished what i set out to do.

Its over and done. I do sincerely apologize for instigating you regarding
the "recording/proccessing" buisness. That is a huge can of worms, that i
shouldnt have opened. Im very sorry about that.

Thanks to Ricardo for always supporting me and vouching for my integrity.
He is the true definition of a real friend. There arent many people on the planet that are as fine a human being as Ricardo. I am more than lucky to have
him as my friend. Thanks Ricardo!
Im still loving and listening to your CD almost everyday. Amazing!
I hope you're working on another one soon! :)
TK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 18:34:02

ToddK

Not to worry, i will post a video of La Ardila within a couple of weeks.
Maybe even this weekend. Im just trying to get my midterm papers
finished first.

Saludos!

TK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 18:38:40

Florian

I had a sleep and got up fresh...this argument seems like such a long time ago..i am over it..whatever ..apology accepted...maybe i am overly sencitive about it cause of repeted past discussions, i am sorry too for making too much of something innocent if thats what it was.

U dont have to take the challenge...but if u dont.. dont rub my nose in it..end of story...and btw.theres no way on earth i am backing out ever again because i know now that u dont let those things down

u won, i consided, i congratulated you open heartly, whatever our differences in the past i was happy for you, i was happy to see you achive this for yourself...there is no need to fight a war were there isnt one.....but if theres some kind of grudge against us still or u feel u need to show the world how good you are and how **** i am i am open to any of your challenges, any number u pick..your rules..anytime

thats an open ended offer

and when i was talking about sound i really was just talking about sound, i didnt mention you to discredit you in anyway as i said in the post, from what i heard i still think u deserved to win...but to say sound has nothing to do with anything its unrealistic...expecially when u have it

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 21:34:55

HemeolaMan

There are no cuts in this file. let me show you that toddk is telling the truth with some science.

Now here is the file type and info

File Type: 44100Hz, 16-bit, Stereo
Uncompressed Size: 38.03 MB (39,886,848 bytes)
File Format: mp3PRO® (FhG)
MPEG Layer-3, 128 Kbps (Stereo)
Length: 3:46.115
9,971,712 samples

I analyzed this to the sample, no cuts. There isn't much of anything except good mic technique that realy indicates this as a recording from any studio in specific. No hallmarks of any production techniques etc.

If there is any compression on that guitar it is so moderate that it didn't even make a difference. I'm not going to swear there isnt, but if there is it would not have altered the sound enough to do anything but funcion either as a normalizing volume booster or to gate the sound . Based on the few seconds at the end of the track where i can hear the room noise, I don't think there is any compression that would alter the sound of the guitar if there is any at all.

In using spectral analysis tools I examined the phase, the panning and other aspects to determine this. Not because I like ToddK or want to clear his name (though I do like todd) but because I'm tired of Flo (who i also like) shootin his mouth off lol. No offense guys but this is really old hat.

Lets start with the spectral Pan analysis in this post:
It shows that the stereo image is consistent throughout. no tampering has been done.

Had todd taken several tries he would have moved while pressing stop, mousing back and hitting record again and the image would have changed, even if only minutely. This means that the panning would have changed too as the mic would not be in the exact same relative position.

Attachment (1)

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 21:58:13

HemeolaMan

RE: Bulerias a la rondena? (in reply to HemeolaMan

To further illustrate my point and end this stupid controversy, I'd like to present a Phase analysis.

you can't fool phase because even the various sectors of the guitar have their own phase. ****, even a string being retuned will show up in a phasing analysis. Typically if a part is cut and crossfaded there will be an obvious sign in the spectral view that will show when both parts converge. short of having virtually no life and a ton of really fun gadgets (all of which will show up in these analyses if present) there is no way to eliminate that. two different cuts have two different images. period.

Attachment (1)

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 22:02:13

HemeolaMan

next the frequency analysis.

This analysis shows several precarious streaks in upper level frequencies. all of these occurr at times when the audio could not possibly have been crossfaded without someone knoing (middle of rajeo for example). Furthermore, most of them do not happen simultaneously in both the left and right channel.

What does this mean? well it could be several things. Partly that if todd used a stereo mic set up any amount of self noise or finger sound small noise etc could have made a slight peak in the file. alternately electromagnetic interference could also be at fault, intereference from the air conditioner or fridge etc. even more likely the loop in the background contributed its own noise.

The key thing to see is that the noise that happens in the upper frequencies is consistent. there is no drastic contrast with the microphone self noise. that tells us that there were no changes in microphone placement or room position.

another interesting possibility is that the embedded extra data in mp3 files could be at these frequencies. (the text and file info etc).

Attachment (1)

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 22:12:28

HemeolaMan

Here is a closeup of those anomolies. notice how they do not line up. this indicates that they are NOT the result of cut and paste/crossfading.

Now, can we go back to being productive and be done with these accusations?

Attachment (1)

[signature][/signature]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2009 22:14:57
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message