Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping.   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   3 4 [5] 6 7    >   >>
[Poll]

Bulerías basic timekeeping.

Marking a steady beat in 2's (2,4,6 etc)?
  28% (19)
"Al Golpe" (1,2 - 4,,5 - 7,8 - 10,11)?
  9% (6)
Marking the accented beats (3,6,8,10,12 or 7,8)?
  30% (20)
A combination of the above
  31% (21)

Total Votes : 66

(last vote on : Nov. 6 2019 16:01:41) 
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

sonikete

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to zata

On the contrary, foot tapping is extremely important. And then i mean tapping in two´s or three´s. Thats when you have internalized the compas and no longer rely on outside crutches like a metronome or a loop.

Music isnt sound all the time, its space as well, try to be quiet for one and a half compas without tapping your foot....

But of course if you play with other people its not absolutely necessary since other people are carrying the compas, tapping is more of a way to get "inside" the groove, to internalize it and make you feel as comfortable with the 12 beat as any other rhythm.

And also if you play alone with a dancer or singer you are required to keep a steady beat for them to feel relaxed with, and when its time to be quiet with the guitar or just put golpes off and on certain beats, the only common reference between you and them is your foot.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 5:06:07

Ricardo

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to sonikete

I agree Sonikete, I think it IS real important, and wished I had 100% proof that it is essential for flamenco guitarists to learn. But a couple of my favorite flamenco guitarists, true rhythm masters, are not tapping their foot at all, or at most, inconsistantly, not giving a clear beat reference. Namely I am refering to Manolo Sanlucar and Vicente Amigo. Check out some video of their more rhythm music. I think it is helpful and all like you said, but not an absolute necessity.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 7:03:48

sonikete

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to Ricardo

Personally i do it when im practicing at home or play with a singer and with other musicians when i think they are untight so i cant rely on them or if i want to accelerate and give the others a reference to go with.

In the case of Vicente or Sanlucar they have a lot of other musicians around so then there is no point in tapping. And when the music is highly sophisticated or very fast the foot cant keep up with it or becomes too clumsy.

And when its really fast id rather play por bulerias with a very good percussionist or palmas than rely on my own foottapping.

When i teach i make the student first clap, then tap, then play chords on certain beats so the rythm is in the body like a drummer and the hands are free to make music.

I feel its essential but i dont have 100% proof more than all my own teachers did it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 7:16:07

zata

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Dec. 13 2006 7:35:03
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 7:34:24

[Deleted] (in reply to sonikete

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 7:35:32

sonikete

Yes, thats what i mean zata. Tapping frees you to be more creative and musical.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 7:35:33

zata

quote:

I feel its essential but i dont have 100% proof more than all my own teachers did it.

Essential" is relevant. It's "essential" to cross the street only when the light turns green. You can cross whenever you want, but it's risky.

Tapping frees up the mind for more creative chores.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 7:36:27

[Deleted] (in reply to sonikete

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 7:39:04

sonikete

I remember learning a simple falseta pretty fast getting all the notes right but it somehow didnt sound as good as when my teacher played it and i couldnt figure it out because i played the same notes as my teacher.

Then i got it, the reason he was swinging as hell, and i wasnt, even if i was playing it right, was that his whole body was in the groove and he was marking the compas in a way that he was swinging even when he didnt play one note.

quote:

If you can really feel compas does it really matter where your taps are?

No, it doesnt matter, but its a lot easier when everyone else is tapping in the same place, thats probably why two´s are so common.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 7:41:54

zata

You see many guitarists whose foot follows the music...obviously that does no good, you have to set the foot on automatic pilot and make everything fall into place.

The difference between playing the notes one after another, or playing them in iron-clad compás, is so subtle it can hardly be pinned down, but it's the difference between great compás and merely acceptable compás. In Spain no one goes out of compás in the sense of 11 beats, or 13 beats (very rarely), but we talk about people who have great compás or lousy compás - the difference is in the "iron-clad" effect.

An extra added wrinkle is that great compás is always in flux - try put a metronome to some piece you consider rigidly in compás (which was not recorded with a click-track)....you will not be able to make the beats coincide for more than a half-compás or so and will end up staring at the metronome like a cartoon character who can't figure out a certain gadget.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 7:55:32

[Deleted] (in reply to zata

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 8:02:46

sonikete

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to Guest

quote:

you have to set the foot on automatic pilot and make everything fall into place.

Exactly, that sums it up perfectly. And its a lot more fun as well, you can try out different ways of phrasing a falseta, improvise with the rhythm and thats when that "rubberband" feeling comes against an "ironclad" compas in the foot.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 8:06:13

Anders Eliasson

The program sure looks very nice.

Lots of female singers. I like female singers.

But why is it never published who plays the guitar. Are guitarists just dogs or what

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 8:12:58

sonikete

Yes, jesus what a program, id like to go. Are there any guitar or cante workshops?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 8:41:49

Ron.M

RE: Bulerías basic timekeeping. (in reply to Guest

quote:

If you can really feel compas does it really matter where your taps are?

[annoying Zen mode]
Well, surely the brain is controlling the foot, not the other way round....so in order for that pulse to be expressed as a foot tap or a hand clap, the pulse will already have to be internally perceived correctly.
So if you know or feel where that pulse is...is there any need to tap unless you just want to?
[/annoying Zen mode]

cheers

Ron

A good guitar might be a good guitar
But it takes a woman to break your heart
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 8:44:21

duende

quote:

rubberband
säg inte det ordet!

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 8:51:07

sonikete

Jag bara jävlas, he he ...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 9:09:26

sonikete

quote:

So if you know or feel where that pulse is...is there any need to tap unless you just want to?

Well, its not necessary in order to play, but i think its something that is essential to learn in order to internalize the compas and become a better musician. Even if you then dont use it at all playing with other people.

An example;
play a capirote golpe on 3 Bb (dance counting), be silent the rest of the compas and then play a golpe on 9 and a half A in the end of the next compas.

Thats a whole lot easier to do with the foot going, then you dont even have to count as you probably would if you didnt tap.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 9:13:02

Ricardo

I have seen some older guitarists, biting their teeth in rhythm. Many players have a head nod with certain accents. When working out something new, I use my foot if the metronome is not available or compas loop, or patient palmera. It is helpful for sure. I could play just as evenly without moving or tapping. Even the silence I could keep, but I am "hearing" the rhythm in my head, not just the beat, but all that is the groove going on. But doing the foot or moving in your chair, etc, is part of the feeling, and you do it because it feels good to do it. But yeah, it also transmits to the outside alot of how you are feeling the music. It gives the relationship. Even in a TRUE solo, it transmits something to the audience.

I give students a chance to demonstrate playing in rhythm to metronome or palmas, without having to tap the foot. There are many who have no problem keeping the beat inside. But they are the minority. For the majority of folks, the foot really helps learn how to keep a beat. For folks having a real problem tapping the foot and playing, they tend to not beable to play to a click either.

Oh, and in regards to "iron clad" and putting a metronome against flamenco players, you would be surprised how precise they are if you find the exact tempo.

Ricardo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 10:11:16

sonikete

quote:

I have seen some older guitarists, biting their teeth in rhythm.

Yeah, ive seen dancers do that as well.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 10:16:40

Ricardo

quote:

säg inte det ordet!

Ha!, yngvay, jag bara viking jåvajuice "rubbersteen" bjorn bork bork!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 10:22:43

sonikete

quote:

Ha!, yngvay, jag bara viking jåvajuice "rubbersteen" bjorn bork bork!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 10:24:42

zata

quote:

Oh, and in regards to "iron clad" and putting a metronome against flamenco players, you would be surprised how precise they are if you find the exact tempo.

This is not true, and there are no surprises because I've spent some time investigating this. The metronome will only work with newer recordings made with a claqueta in order to facilitate editing. Records used to be recorded direct, as is, like a live performance, but now imperfections are removed or retouched, instruments added after the fact...none of this can be done without a claqueta.

And it's not a question of "precision", in fact all a claqueta does is make flamenco sound as stale as a disco mix. Take an older recording of someone we might all consider to have a driving, unrelenting rhythm, such as Marote in his recording with Bernarda and Fernanda. It sounds as solid as a brick wall, anyone can dance, do palmas, play along with, or sing to it with no problem, yet there is no way to set a metronome to it.

This is the reason why when you get a guitarist in one room and a singer in another, able to hear each other but unable to see one another, even though both begin in perfect unison, it takes only a couple of beats before each is going down his own rhythmic path. I was at a crowded fiesta in Granada a few months ago...the guitarist was right next to me but there was a slim decorative partition between us and too many people to be able to glimpse one another. I started singing, and in seconds there was no unison...we tried again...again it didn't work. Finally we realized we could see each other's feet, and only by observing each other's beat as marked by the feet were we able to get it together...very edifying experience.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 10:49:05

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

Uh oh, deja vu

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 10:53:55

zata

An interesting experiment was carried out by Farruco (the kid) in one of their older shows. "Bulerías galácticas" he called it. Four or five singers in a circle, Farruco in the middle dancing bulerías, no guitar. What's so strange about that? Simply, that not only were there no palmas, but clearly Farruco had ordained no foot-stomping, no finger-snapping, no rhythmic swaying, no head-bobbing or silent thigh-tapping....indeed, not one visual reference to the rhythm other than Farruco's dancing. It was clearly extremely difficult - now and again one of the singers would do silent thigh-taps and Farruco would stand dead still until he stopped. It was astonishing, the dance and cante had all the weightiness and importance of a slow siguiriya, but observers who knew bulerías could feel the inner dynamic - it was a brave and powerful experiment which has not been copied by anyone or repeated by Farruco as far as I know.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 11:00:38

Ricardo

quote:

And it's not a question of "precision", in fact all a claqueta does is make flamenco sound as stale as a disco mix.

Well, that's your opinion. I disagree totally. Perhaps multitracking can have that problem, but the click itself is not the problem.
quote:

no problem, yet there is no way to set a metronome to it.

Well, they are not from Jerez.
OK, I am only teasing with that one.

quote:

Finally we realized we could see each other's feet, and only by observing each other's beat as marked by the feet were we able to get it together...very edifying experience.

Glad it all came together finally.

quote:

not one visual reference to the rhythm other than Farruco's dancing.

Well the rhythm is IN the cante, if you understand how, and most guitarist accompanyists of baile learn to watch the body as well as the feet for rhythmic cues. Just a couple of words from the first line of cante, and the tempo is right there for everyone who knows it. Still it is a cool idea I think, that the beat is not heard but "felt".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 11:15:44

zata

Pick your favorite old recording you consider to have unshakeable rhythm and you'll see what I mean.

The most solid rhythm, the kind that allows dozens of people to do palmas, jump in and out dancing or singing, is in a constant, though subtle, state of flux. The so-called "nuevo flamenco", which is basically studio flamenco, grew up with the claqueta and percussion (percussionists who don't know cante dwell in their own world of "steady" rhythm and are oblivious to singers' needs, which is why Manolo Soler was so great on the cajón, he knew flamenco inside and out).

Likewise, the singer no longer rules the roost since a profusion of new harmonies from the guitar "lock" the singer into set interpretations. It sounds fine, perhaps even great, and only the individuals actually doing the singing (or dancing) can feel how their wings have been clipped.

Make no mistake, studio flamenco is a deal with the devil: you make magnificent music enjoyed the world over, but sacrifice spontaneity - a boon for guitarists and a bane for singers.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 11:35:28

zata

quote:

Tapping frees up the mind for more creative chores.

It's unseemly to quote oneself, but just this morning over breakfast I was watching the Paco de Lucía episode of Rito y Geografía del Cante and he said exactly the same thing: in order to be creative, you must first dominate your techniques. Tapping is part of the technical discipline.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 12:08:07

zata

quote:

Well the rhythm is IN the cante,

Unlike dance and guitar, the voice is not a percussive instrument except in those bouncey-bally Cádiz endings. The rest of the time the cante lays the notes over the tonal or rhythmic base provided by guitar and/or palmas.

Compás in cante arrives to our ears "once removed", after having been sifted through the singer's concept of how he or she wishes to work the compás at any given moment. A common mistake unexperienced accompanists often make is second-guessing the singer's compás, "Oh, I know how that cante goes!", and an unproductive tug-of-war ensues in which the guitarist always comes out on top because he's doing something on every single beat, while the singer only controls a few brief moments. These subtle relationships can't be taught, and must be "self-revealed" in practice.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 12:17:33

zata

quote:

For folks having a real problem tapping the foot and playing, they tend to not beable to play to a click either.

Keeping compás and making music to a claqueta are as different as screwing and watching a porn movie - it seems related in theory, but in practice, the difference is dramatic.

Needless to say, the former is not only more productive, but more fun

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2006 12:24:58
Page:   <<   <   3 4 [5] 6 7    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   3 4 [5] 6 7    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread