Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: My version of picado...wrong?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Pimientito

RE: My version of picado...wrong? (in reply to a_arnold

Wow great post Tony. I wish I could give you some stars.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 12 2009 11:02:11

kozz

RE: My version of picado...wrong? (in reply to polishcomedy

Nice tips a_arnold!

I found that try keeping the hand relaxed and really pay attention to it works out great...it feels akward in the beginning but after a while you get that right tension and speed eventually
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 12 2009 11:43:57

Ron.M

Well thought out and interesting post Tony.
It kinda fits in with my "Lazy" way of thinking on stuff, although I must say, I've never really been too interested in picado, probably because I'm a weird and maladjusted person, but the essence of what you are saying sounds right to me.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 12 2009 11:54:42

gato

RE: My version of picado...wrong? (in reply to Pimientito

Classical training is formal, and there are definitely more established ways of doing things than in flamenco, though flamenco is passed down with teachers and schools of thought. But in flamenco you have to figure that what ever works for you, you use it. That's why I am not going to take the time to explain my technique, and I see the whole question of right and wrong to be on a different plane than in the classical way. 'Are you reaching your goals?' that is the question you should explore or go get a classical teacher and get into the formal dogma. You know? What is right and what is wrong? it's a completely different concept in classical and flamenco. And for God's sake if you ask that why do so many flamenco players dump on classical training and raise such a question? Isn't that an oxymoron? I mean with all respect........
Gary

The Life Everlasting/Oswald Utopia
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 12 2009 16:46:32

a_arnold

RE: My version of picado...wrong? (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

It kinda fits in with my "Lazy" way of thinking on stuff, although I must say, I've never really been too interested in picado, probably because I'm a weird and maladjusted person

Hey, Ron. I have to agree with you there -- not that you are weird and maladjusted, but on the issue of picado. But I had to learn the hard way.

I once believed a clean, loud, fast picado was an important milestone on my journey as a flamenco guitarist. But now, having gotten over that hump, I find myself using it a lot less than I expected. I lean toward a very traditional style, and tend now to admire (and aspire to) clean and imaginative thumb work -- maybe because I see strong accompaniment as much more "flamenco" than solo performance, and the thumb is loud enough to be heard over dancers.

Sometimes I think of those miners accompanying Tarantos with cracked, calloused work-stiffened hands, and I know I would feel embarrassed to play anything like a flashy technique in front of them. I sometimes think: if it can't be said simply, maybe I should reconsider whether it is worth saying.

Tony

"Flamenco is so emotionally direct that a trained classical musician would require many years of highly disciplined formal study to fail to understand it."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 13 2009 5:47:37

Ailsa

quote:

if it can't be said simply, maybe I should reconsider whether it is worth saying.

I think I might put that up on a big notice at work.....

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 13 2009 6:36:38

mark indigo

RE: My version of picado...wrong? (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

ditto! thanks for taking time to explain in depth Tony, i'm not sure if i understand it all, but there's certainly plenty to think about.

i think you are making a distinction between learning the technique and learning specific bits of music/falsetas to play using that technique, which i agree is an important distinction to make.

I realised recently that it would be a good idea for me to work on doing simpler things (short speed bursts, basic scale runs etc.) at speed rather than to keep trying to practise difficult things slowly and trying to increase speed and never really getting them up to speed.... i'm still working on putting this idea into practise, and your post (unless i've completely misunderstood it) is saying the same thing, so that's good to have that confirmed.

btw, re alternation etc., did anyone pick up on this

quote:

quote:
Pacos runs usually start with m.

this is interesting....

i was watching the vid of cuevo del gato and he plays several times repeating m finger.... at 3:52 and again at 5:05

and/or have anything to add to it?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2009 5:15:03

hamia

RE: My version of picado...wrong? (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark indigo

quote:

btw, re alternation etc., did anyone pick up on this

quote:

quote:
Pacos runs usually start with m.

this is interesting....

i was watching the vid of cuevo del gato and he plays several times repeating m finger.... at 3:52 and again at 5:05

and/or have anything to add to it?

He also appears to do it several times in succession earlier in the vid (3.21 if my memory is correct). He seems to use it to strongly accent the notes. Probably makes sense given that it's the stronger finger.

I've also found that playing slowly doesn't really help get fast picado. Fast speed bursts are effective for me. Short enough so that there's no need to think about plucking the individual notes.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 14 2009 6:23:31
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post