Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: PayPal   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

gj Michelob

RE: PayPal (in reply to at_leo_87

quote:

gj, you're a lawyer, what do you think?

exactly... it is Ron who prosecutes the case for the Crown

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2009 16:14:14

Ron.M

RE: PayPal (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

it is Ron who prosecutes the case for the Crown

Not really,

In fact it was someone else who first pointed out that a fixed amount would avoid folk claiming more influence on the forum and I seem to remember others agreeing that this would be a good idea.

Personally I'd like to see lots of very small donations rather than a small amount of big donations.
That way it makes it more of a communal effort.

IMO, the trouble with accepting or encouraging greater amounts than the minimum, is that you then present people with the problem of how much should they donate.... Will they be seen as a skinflint if they just make the minimum donation?
Or a bit of a show-off if they make a generous donation?

This then provides another layer of thinking on top of taking the few minutes to send the $3 and another reason to put it off until another day.

As I said before, the problem is not the amount of money involved, but basic human LETHARGY...and the feeling that the lack of their donation won't matter in the grand scheme of things, so long as everyone else donates.

The logic puts me in mind of the car driver stuck in a traffic jam who says in frustration, "The trouble with motoring these days is that there are too many damn cars on the road."

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2009 0:45:35

gj Michelob

quote:

exactly... it is Ron who prosecutes the case for the Crown

I was just kidding, Ron, I hope it was clear. The original "rationale" for the limitation to contributions was to avoid granting any sense of entitlement or of superior privilege to those who'd contribute more. The "anyone can be kicked out of this bar" rule had to remain uncorrupted.

Unfortunately, I must agree with all you wrote above, but am still cautiously optimistic that the membership will slowly but steadily come through.... will you lazy bums out there?

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2009 3:21:55

Florian

RE: PayPal (in reply to Ron.M

i would like to see more people make small donations too...it wasent a big deal i was inspired by Michelobs generosity in other challenges and i had just gotten paid for a job, it was a coincidence.. so i happened to have money in the bank lol rare ocasion

it wasent to get more influence or anything i just wanted to show Mechlob and Ailisa a litlle bit extra ...not a lot, just a touch of extra appreciation for their efforts..no big deal

they went beyond their call of duty so i wanted to a litlle bit too, it wasent alot..and compared to Michelobs donations to the last prizes it was nothing

sorry i broke the rules :-)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2009 3:39:47

Ron.M

quote:

"anyone can be kicked out of this bar"

LOL! gj.....I had to read that a couple of times to realize that the comment was not in the legal sense.

Being "called to the Bar" has always struck me as a rather quaint expression and makes me think of an innocent young lawyer being secretly handed a slip of paper saying "Be at the Crown & Anchor at 2.00pm", whereupon he meets with a bunch of drunken Judges, who after making him buy a round, hand him a ribbon and signed certificate saying that he is now formally a Barrister... and then make him buy another round to celibrate.

(Actually, I bet that's not too far from the truth.. )

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2009 4:26:46

gj Michelob

quote:

Being "called to the Bar" has always struck me as a rather quaint expression and makes me think of an innocent young lawyer being secretly handed a slip of paper saying "Be at the Crown & Anchor at 2.00pm", whereupon he meets with a bunch of drunken Judges, who after making him buy a round, hand him a ribbon and signed certificate saying that he is now formally a Barrister... and then make him buy another round to celibrate.

LOL (real loud) Funniest lines yet; thank you Ron. My law partner is a London Barrister, he will enjoy your prose

Florian... you are it, amigo, I would forgive you even if you sent a thousand dollar donation... but please do not dare me on that

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2009 6:27:34

gj Michelob

Michelle purchased the suggested prize for "ricecracker". the Total came to 40,90 Euro -hope currency will convert within the available funds.

Today i recieved a $1 donation and one in Sterling Pound (3)... at least it is always a surprise!!

ciao

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2009 13:46:58

Florian

excellent

its nice to see people joining in, thanks

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2009 13:53:19

gj Michelob

I am sorry to report that one payment was cancelled by Paypal because -apparently- i failed to timely claim it. It was from Deniz. I searched my inbox and found no evidence of the original incoming payment. Nonetheless, i will cover the concellation (thank God Deniz did not pul a "Florian" and did not send more than the allowed contribution).

I will prepare an accounting of payments received and disbursed (for the prize -Dug did your receive it, yet?) an will post it. However,Ii wonder if i will be allowed to list the contributors (based on the information received with the wire)? If anyone has any problem with such disclosure please let me know.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 19:14:17

cathulu

Yes list the contributors, why not? Maybe then I will get off my Aszz and contribute myself. I have set-up my Paypal account so now there is nothing but inertial getting in the way. I am pathetic, I only just filed my taxes late, even though I am due a nice return.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 20:20:42

ricecrackerphoto

Yes I did receive the prize. It is an amazing resource. I missed this thread for some reason. I'll contribute today.

doug

http://www.ricecracker.net
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 6 2009 2:52:23

gj Michelob

RE: PayPal -ACCOUNTING 5.23.09 (in reply to ricecrackerphoto

quote:

Yes I did receive the prize. It is an amazing resource. I missed this thread for some reason. I'll contribute today.
doug

5.06.09 RiceCracker: $3.oo

4.30.09 (i) Ilia T. $2.oo
4.30.09 Katherine L. $3.oo

4.28.09 (ii) Ilia T. $1.oo
4.28.09 Jenny N. [£3.00 GBP] $4.38

4.26.09 Florian Remus [$10 AUD] $7.22

4.23.09 Tom Nunez $5.oo
4.23.09 Pablo M. $3.oo

4.22.09 Aleksi P. $3.oo

4.21.09 Kozz $3.oo
4.21.09 DeTeresa1 $3.oo
4.21.09 Deniz Kul: [unclaimed] $3.oo
4.21.09 Katrina E. $3.oo

4.20.09 Michel $3.oo
4.20.09 Domzo $3.oo

4.19.09 At_Leo_87 $3.oo

4.18.09 HolyEvil $3.oo

4.17.09 EdGuerin $3.oo
4.17.09 Ron M. $3.oo
4.17.09 Simon S. $3.oo
4.17.09 Kazuko B. $3.oo

4.16.09 Alex_Lord $3.oo
4.16.09 Ailsa H. $3.oo

4.15.09 gj Michelob $10.oo

Total Donations……………….............. $83.60

Disbursement [RiceCracker’s prize] -$57.15

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2009 8:16:39

aleksi

not bad, 24 people donated.
Thats nice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2009 8:37:53

Ron.M

RE: PayPal (in reply to aleksi

quote:

not bad, 24 people donated.
Thats nice.

OK Folks,
We really need you to make the effort here to boost up the fund for forthcoming guitar events.
If your name is not on the list, then please consider spending 3 bucks and 3 minutes on PayPal and try to make a point of your name being on the list for next time.
These little prizes help to make the Challenges a lot more fun.

Come on!

Don't be a Blue-Meannie Sourpuss Skinflint-Miserable type Sod and cough up!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2009 11:34:52

HolyEvil

Hey there guys, I'm new to the board but wanna tell everyone who comes to this board for information and all the great advice, give a little something back. It's not a huge amount and it will make you feel at home and part of this board.

cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2009 15:56:53

cathulu

RE: PayPal -ACCOUNTING 5.23.09 (in reply to gj Michelob

I just did it and it was easy! Why did it take me so long... I am lazy that's why. Cheers!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 23 2009 20:12:58

Arash

I totally missed this thread as i was very busy the last weeks.
Ok, sent some money. hope it worked.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 24 2009 11:13:09

gj Michelob

RE: PayPal (in reply to Arash

Thank you Cathulu and Arash, your funds are in the account -i just need to claim them before i lose them... in fact, thank you Deniz Kul for sending your donation "again" after i had allowed it to lapse. I had covered the funds, of course, and it is very gracious of you to repair my own worng.

Let's hope more will surfe this new wave of enthusiasm.

ciao

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 24 2009 11:38:28

Jim Opfer

gj,

Dumbo here, I've just seen this thread. Happy to contribute but what's it about?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2009 2:59:02

Stu

RE: PayPal (in reply to Jim Opfer

....er...???
whats going on?

don't get on here much lately.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2009 4:10:17

gj Michelob

quote:

OK Folks,
We really need you to make the effort here to boost up the fund for forthcoming guitar events.
If your name is not on the list, then please consider spending 3 bucks and 3 minutes on PayPal and try to make a point of your name being on the list for next time.
These little prizes help to make the Challenges a lot more fun.
Come on!
Don't be a Blue-Meannie Sourpuss Skinflint-Miserable type Sod and cough up!
cheers,
Ron

Hi Jim, Ron explained it well (and i think you re ialso ncluded in that tongue-twisting reproachful epithet "a Blue-Meannie Sourpuss Skinflint-Miserable type Sod"

It is a fund to help afford purchasing prizes for the various competitions now popular on the Foro. Certainly offering a prize, although generally no more than a modest token of recognition, enhances the value of the competition.

The first few challenges relied on individual member’s spontaneous generosity. It served well, but a need developed for a more coordinated effort. Ron and I discussed setting up a paypal account, and I accepted to serve as initial secretary for administering the fund, receiving donations and managing the purchase of prizes (1 thus far).

We have about $32 on hand, and need a few dollars more to buy something for the upcoming advance challenge.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2009 4:45:04

Ron.M

RE: PayPal ForoFlamenco Prize Fund (in reply to gj Michelob

Thanks gj.

Jim and others.

The scheme is outlined here.

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=106175&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

gj.....the Advanced Challenge Prizes were already donated some time ago, so we do not need to loot the fund for this one.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2009 6:26:33

gj Michelob

RE: PayPal ForoFlamenco Prize Fund (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

gj.....the Advanced Challenge Prizes were already donated some time ago, so we do not need to loot the fund for this one.

LOL... in fact I myself am one of the Donors... people will think i was trying to excuse my promised gift

'wasn't, really.
ciao

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2009 6:34:39

Ailsa

RE: PayPal FINALLY.... (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

We need to support this foro and the activities that are developing. The contribution is not to exceed $3... but its meaning is invaluable.

Hello all,

The challenges have been going really well, I hope you agree what a great team spirit and community feel they have engendered here on the Foro.

We've been really lucky to have generous flamencos like Jason, gj and Anders to contribute some prizes, and this gave us a great start. But we do need to keep supporting the Foro fund to have small prizes for future challengers. So this is an appeal to those who haven't donated to the fund yet.

You may ask why should you contribute, and there could be many reasons.
Maybe you took part in a challenge and received useful feedback on your playing. Or perhaps you listened to the challengers uploads and read the judges comments, and learnt something from that. Perhaps you just like being part of a Forum with other people who share your passion for flamenco.

Whatever the reason, please give, because there isn't much in the fund! It's only $3, less than a couple of coffees.

Please contribute!

Ailsa

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2009 13:14:35
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread