Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Best luthier's smoothing plane?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ramón

Best luthier's smoothing plane? 

Since I won't be able to afford a thickness sander for quite awhile, I am going to need a smoothing plane for edges to match tops and bottoms, and especially to thickness my back, sides and tops.

I am looking at a Stanley #5, 14" long. An older one, but looking for suggestions from those of you who do NOT use a thickness sander - or used to use a smoothing plane only.

If I have to spend the money, it will be on of my most important tools. And still cheaper than a $1500 machine!!

* Just saw this 'Hong Kong style' for achieving "glass-like finishes"...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=50251&cat=1,41182,41187&ap=1
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2009 11:37:00

jshelton5040

RE: Best luthier's smoothing plane? (in reply to Ramón

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ramón
I am looking at a Stanley #5, 14" long. An older one, but looking for suggestions from those of you who do NOT use a thickness sander - or used to use a smoothing plane only.

If I have to spend the money, it will be on of my most important tools. And still cheaper than a $1500 machine!!

* Just saw this 'Hong Kong style' for achieving "glass-like finishes"...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=50251&cat=1,41182,41187&ap=1

Ramon,
There was a lengthy discussion of planes a few months ago. I don't know if it's in the archives or not. I advocated Stanley planes over the more expensive Nielson etc. As a result of the conversation I bought a Lie Nielson low angle block plane and I must say I have changed my mind. This is the nicest plane I've ever used definitely superior to the Stanley; however the price of the smoothing plane is eye popping. If you can find a used Stanley Bedrock or Bailey it will certainly do the job.

Those Asian pull planes are a whole different animal. I bought a couple of them when I was in Japan about 20 years ago and have never been able to make them function the way they are supposed to. I've seen them used to pull wafer thin curls from highly figured wood but the ones I have which were supposed to be very high quality are still sitting in the boxes they came in. I spent many hours reading articles on proper setup and fiddling with them and finally lost patience.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2009 14:56:16

Ramón

I was looking at the Hong Kong style, but my luthier friend said he's never seen one used - and they'd be fine for the harder woods, but the soft tops wound pull. He said they almost work like a scraper with the high angle, as a finish - not as a 'thicknesser'.

I got a NICE older Stanley No.5 today...for $20, but I'll look more into those Lie Neilsons! Face it; I'm not getting a $1300 Rockler thickness sander, so I'd rather get what works the best.

And I was off the forum for a long time. I thought THIS had become the old-school foro, and that side is just dead, so I missed a lot.

Thanks for the input, John.

By the way...Got anything you want to sell??
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2009 17:22:10

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ramón

I got a NICE older Stanley No.5 today...for $20, but I'll look more into those Lie Neilsons! Face it; I'm not getting a $1300 Rockler thickness sander, so I'd rather get what works the best.

And I was off the forum for a long time. I thought THIS had become the old-school foro, and that side is just dead, so I missed a lot.

By the way...Got anything you want to sell??

Ramon,
I've seen brand new Delta thickness sanders for under $700. It's what I use and it functions quite well. Remember that you'll need a dust collector/vacuum as well which adds about $300.

I don't recall ever selling a tool although I did trade an old Stanley Bedrock coffin plane for some rosewood many years ago. I'd like to have that one back since it was quite rare (about 2 feet long).

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2009 6:17:14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote