Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Zoom H2, H4, H4N vs Tascam DR-07   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

frhout

Zoom H2, H4, H4N vs Tascam DR-07 

I am selling my Samson CO1U to invest in one of the above. I think the H2 is a single-track device. The Zoom H4 has a 4-track capability, maybe not too important but can be useful. The H4N has a larger screen compared to the H4, so it may not be worth the extra. I just saw the Tascam DR-07, roughly the same price as the H2, but it can slow down music while keeping its pitch.

I'm not a geek in these things, so anybody who can give me some suggestion is appreciated.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2009 8:35:11

gshaviv

RE: Zoom H2, H4, H4N vs Tascam DR-07 (in reply to frhout

I own the H2, it's a pretty nice device. It is a single track device, but can record in full surround (from 4 built in mics). The mics are quite ok and the record quality is not bad at all. My main gripe with the device is the small screen, have to take out my reading glasses each time I try to look at it.

Guy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2009 1:59:33

frhout

RE: Zoom H2, H4, H4N vs Tascam DR-07 (in reply to gshaviv

Thanks for the advice. I think I would get the H4N from the States. As I live in Europe, I could pay a 33%-35% import duties, but the seller agrees to declare maybe about $100. Shame that the exchange rate is not as good as six months ago.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2009 7:18:32

Estevan

You could also consider the Tascam DR-1. It has the independent speed/pitch control of the DR-07 but can record overdubs, and has more features than the DR-07. And a large screen like the H4N. The H4N does look more dangerous, though.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2009 11:45:15

frhout

RE: Zoom H2, H4, H4N vs Tascam DR-07 (in reply to Estevan

I just had a flyover on this Tascam DR1 on eBay, it looks quite nice as well. But I just ordered a H4N, actually from the same company selling the Tascam. Anyway, if I make a mistake, it's too late now. I'll spend more time during the weekend to compare these two makes as I'm not very good at these modern technologies, especially leads and jacks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2009 12:07:51

frhout

RE: Zoom H2, H4, H4N vs Tascam DR-07 (in reply to gshaviv

I received the H4N. I made an attempt to record a cassette tape in mp3 at 128kbps by cabling my Walkman "headphone" (3.5mm jack) with the Input 1 (6.35mm) on the H4N, Input Plug-in on "ON. But I only recorded the noise from my telly, not from the tape. Can you tell me if this is at all possible or I'll need a real cassette deck with red and white RCA leads? These tapes are my guitars lessons and some old LPS which have not been reissued.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2009 11:47:13

nogawyks

I have an H4. Haven't used it much but when I have used it, it provided excellent audio quality for such a portable little unit. I was really amazed how good it sounded. The stereo is very high quality. I recorded a cassete tape (Toques Flamencos) by sitting the H4 in front of the speakers once. It recorded fairly well although the tape player was a cheap piece of junk. I almost needed a studio though because it picked up every bit of extraneous noise.

Wayne
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 14 2009 15:56:47

frhout

RE: Zoom H2, H4, H4N vs Tascam DR-07 (in reply to nogawyks

I'm using this to record my lessons in mp3 from tapes. It is done without any problems. But I'm doing it step by step. I haven't yet managed to install the updated H4N 1.2 driver, to acquire the licence and to install the Cubase LE4 software. The manual is not too explicit and it's not really straightforward. Any help will be appreciated.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 15 2009 2:38:53

quijote

I have used a little H2 often. If you keep the quality up and do NOT use Hi gain, front mics and position a couple of feet in front - it sounds very good.

I actually prefer it to the stereo mics on the new tascam dp004 which I had a chance to try the other day. Cannot compare it to any of the others you mentioned.

It is certainly very usable audio. And it can be slung in a bag and is there for gigs, practice - very flexible for the price.

I recorded the family on holiday larking and singing around a fire - just as a memento - with the windshield on. It sounded superb considering the setup. Better than any of the snaps I took for capturing the atmosphere! Real wee bargain, I think.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2009 5:53:41

frhout

RE: Zoom H2, H4, H4N vs Tascam DR-07 (in reply to quijote

I have problems installing the latest driver, and the Cubase software, and in particular downloading the licence. I just don't understand what I need to do. Do you have any suggestion? The good side is that my PC with XP recognises the H4N and I can copy and paste the music at the moment, without the benefit of the software.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2009 11:12:23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post