Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Reminder for the Judges   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

gj Michelob

RE: Reminder for the Judges (in reply to Florian

So….

by the New York midnight on February 24th (5am Zulu), my office will accept submissions;
by 10 am NY time on February 25th all submissions will be posted on the Forum (special Thread “Intermediate Challenge Submissions”).

Each participant’s file will be identified with a Disney’s Character’s name (Donald Duck or Dumbo).
Judges will post their grades by Midnight on the 28th.
After all scores are in, I will disclose the real (forum’s) names behind each file.

My assistant has agreed to help to avoid any delays due my travelling. She will have access to my e-mail and my Forum account. (Her name is Irene).

Ps.: I agree that after the scores are in, all Participants and Judges should be known. Judgment will have been administered with all precautions of anonymity, after that let it be fun.
Anyone who participates is better than me, simply acting as a witnessing clerk, and has all my respect, encouragement and gratitude for making this a fun forum.
Ciao

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 20 2009 12:19:37

Ailsa

RE: Reminder for the Judges (in reply to mrMagenta

quote:

I'm looking forward to listening to and comparing the criticism of other peoples submissions for learning purposes.

LOL that's even more scary than the judges!!

I'm kidding mrM I know you are a gentle soul.

I just wanted to acknowledge that there is some risk in uploading any playing. I really admire people like Ramzi and Flo who take that risk often and share their stuff.

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 20 2009 12:38:54

Florian

RE: Reminder for the Judges (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

I really admire people like Ramzi and Flo who take that risk often and share their stuff.

have you allready started sucking up ? its anonymus..i wont know wich one is you

Ailsa..theres not a person in here that would be mean to you everyone likes you..

its all going to go just fine..u have a long road of nerveracking, scary moments, like this coming up in front of you if you wanna perform or play in front of people more...think of this as training in strengthening your nerves and conquering some of your fears..

sometimes the best thing is to close your eyes and jump...just say "**** it" dont overthink it.. just close your eyes and jump ..

and dont forghet you are in the beginner challenge, judges are aware of that...and you are not alone..there will be 15 other guys just like you

youl be fine
xo

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2009 0:01:40

Pimientito

quote:

Each participant’s file will be identified with a Disney’s Character’s name (Donald Duck or Dumbo).

Yet another source of conflict in the making Who wants to be Dumbo?

(sorry - just taking the Mickey)

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2009 0:09:03

gj Michelob

RE: Reminder for the Judges (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

Yet another source of conflict in the making Who wants to be Dumbo?

Ha ha ha... I was waiting for someone to raise a complaint and a joke. You are absolutely right, Pimientito (although each of these funny characters typically struggles and ultimately prevails) "dumbo" carries a slightly negative connotation, just by sounding it out... Dumb..O!!

In fact, since i am familiar with the applicants, i will let Irene choose the names, so to avoid even this minor possibiltiy that I may unwittingly grant any advantage or lay a burden when baptising the files, as parents do when nicknaming their Richard... Rich or D**k (funny how this system aborts this nickname by default).

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2009 6:07:54

Doitsujin

Ok fpund the judge thread.
2 questions.

1: Will the audios really be uploaded before the judges send the points in? Than they will be affected by any posts which will be made about the audios... I think it would be the best, if at first only the judges get the download-links for judging. And when they all send in their results, the audios should be made public. Thats the only way to keep it..somehow even for all challengers.

2: As I wrote in the intermediate thread:
quote:

BUT do we vote with points or just putting the challengers in an order beginning from the best one... IMO points would fit better, because one has a weakness with timing but a good technic and the other one vise versa.. Than they should be even and not subjectively judged...

Happily waiting for the audios!!! Woooohoooou !
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2009 12:56:30

gj Michelob

RE: Reminder for the Judges (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

1: Will the audios really be uploaded before the judges send the points in? Than they will be affected by any posts which will be made about the audios... I think it would be the best, if at first only the judges get the download-links for judging. And when they all send in their results, the audios should be made public. Thats the only way to keep it..somehow even for all challengers.

A fair suggestion: i will follow it unless i hear otherwise. I will see if i can host all files on a website and direct the judges there, otherwise send the files to each judge?. Also can someone confirm the judges for this challenge?

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2009 14:11:19

Florian

Yes its a good point...but this is going to be too confusing, plus slow everything down....noone knows whats going on..

Noone knows how many entries there will be fore sure... so Michelob is gonna have to keep sending us pms ? "Oh heres another entri" (its gonna make his workload more difficult and confusing than it has to be...at some point he will wonder..did i send judge 11 the new Pluto file that arrived after Mickeymouse ?) and judges are thinking..."Did I score this allready? is there more ? whats going on ?"

its gonna be a mess...plus it excludes the forum ( that is important to me to not do), and the challengers for about 3 days...the idea of the challenge is also for the good of the forum and making it fun here at the forum...not about going secret..

I picked judges who are confident, strong and comfortable in theyr opinions for exactlly that reason...so that noone will be suaded eazely by others opinions ....

We have made it as fair as possible lets not obsess over it at the point where we go all secret and defets the purpose of the challenge to the forum..

its fair enough atm

I suggest pick one thread and upload all entries there, its eazy to see how many you have to score, new entries etc.....we will ask members in the first post to please refrrain from posting any audio comments until after the the winner is announced, so that it dosent sway the judges...everyone will respect that..

think fair, but also think open, include everyone, make everyone feel like part of the proces, we might just have 15 judges ..because it might be too messy otherwise...but this challenge belongs to every single forum member and i dont want them excluded or feel excluded from any second of it.
Same with the challengers..

Considering we dont have enough time to put it to a vote i am going to have to have to make a quick executive decision

since i am organising this 2 challenges, you have the advanced, I say, for this ones .." I want it done in the open so everyone can be part of every moment and see it develop"..

I hope you dont mind ..it is a good idea and you are right..it would make it even fairer...but only by about 00.2 % and at the cost of momentum and fun...plus its not in anyway unfair to any challengers, because if it is unfair its unfair to them equally (for the sake of the forum) ...wich makes it fair ...they all get the exact same unfair deal..so noone has an advantage..

I dont mind beeing unfair to challengers by 00.2% for the sake of fun...as long as i am unfair to them equally ...

if they did the practice they have all allready won...this is just a superficial show now for the sake of fun for us..i want them to remember that no matter what any judge scores you...noone can take away from you what you have allredy achived..you have allready gotten the real prize..this is entertaiment

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2009 18:49:27

NormanKliman

RE: Reminder for the Judges (in reply to Florian)2 votes

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that I'm going to be very busy working until tomorrow (24) evening. I should be free for judging from Wednesday onward, but I can't be absolutely sure of that because of the nature of my job. I'm a freelance translator, and there's going to be a lot of work to be done by the end of the month. Also, I've got some business to take care of in Málaga over the weekend, and I'll be leaving Saturday morning. This should leave me with Wednesday-Friday free for judging but I'm seeing now that I can't guarantee it, so I thought I'd let you know. Just let me know what you want to do.

This is the judging thread, but I thought I'd add a few comments here:

There's been some great advice in these threads, particularly regarding trying not to worry about (1) winning a competition, (2) the prizes involved, (3) other people's opinion of your playing and (4) ridicule. The ego is such a funny thing. It seems to be as essential to artistic expression as it is destructive to artistic integrity. Or is it the other way around? I'm with Ron when he says "I don't really give a sh*t what folk think of me or my playing!"

In any case, the embarrassment or frustration that contestants might put themselves through when the scores are announced can hardly be compared to some of the childish antics that guitarists are expected to put up with from time to time in real life. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it almost always involves some absolute doofus casually walking all over something that you've put a lot of work into (or even trying to blame you for something that he or she hasn't worked on). It's been said many times that guitarists are usually the ones holding everybody's act together, but they rarely get proper acknowledgement.

So, if you're a contestant, if you're still reading this, and if you haven't decided to flee , you might as well give it your best shot, and to hell with everyone else. Focus on what you're doing!

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2009 0:10:22

Ailsa

RE: Reminder for the Judges (in reply to NormanKliman

quote:

The ego is such a funny thing. It seems to be as essential to artistic expression as it is destructive to artistic integrity.

Norman you are very wise, a sort of Gandalf of the Foro!

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2009 1:05:39

Matic

RE: Reminder for the Judges (in reply to NormanKliman

Thanks for these words, Norman!

vengo de los san migueles
si no me caso este año que yo
me caso el año que viene
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2009 1:51:18

Doitsujin

For the advanced challenge we will manage the judging as I´ll tell you now:

Ailsa gets all the audios and rename them like gj Michelob.
She fills the names of the audios in an excell sheet where the judges have to put the points in for each of the 3 criteria. So, the judges know how many audios are available and which one they rated.
She sends the judges the audios or a download-link where they get the audios and the excell sheet.
They will have to send the sheet back to Ailsa within a deadline.
If the judges are gonna be late, their points will not be used anymore.
Ailsa will put all the sheets together in one summary-table, and we have a nice detailed rating overview.
I think we will also include an option for the judges to comment on each criteria with a restricted number of words they can use. It should be used to comment in general or why they judged as they did. That would be good for the players to get a feedback from every judge to every criteria. I think thats gonna be the most interesting point.
Than we post the point summary with the names of the judges and how they rated in detail, as well as the audios with the associated names to the numbers or disney name... Yes, it wont be an anonymous judging.
Than we can hopefully talk about the playing and get some videos, too!

There wont be any confusing and it will be all in time.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2009 2:41:59

Florian

RE: Reminder for the Judges (in reply to Doitsujin)1 votes

quote:

For the advanced challenge we will manage the judging as I´ll tell you now:

Ailsa gets all the audios and rename them like gj Michelob.
She fills the names of the audios in an excell sheet where the judges have to put the points in for each of the 3 criteria. So, the judges know how many audios are available and which one they rated.
She sends the judges the audios or a download-link where they get the audios and the excell sheet.
They will have to send the sheet back to Ailsa within a deadline.
If the judges are gonna be late, their points will not be used anymore.
Ailsa will put all the sheets together in one summary-table, and we have a nice detailed rating overview.
I think we will also include an option for the judges to comment on each criteria with a restricted number of words they can use. It should be used to comment in general or why they judged as they did. That would be good for the players to get a feedback from every judge to every criteria. I think thats gonna be the most interesting point.
Than we post the point summary with the names of the judges and how they rated in detail, as well as the audios with the associated names to the numbers or disney name... Yes, it wont be an anonymous judging.
Than we can hopefully talk about the playing and get some videos, too!

There wont be any confusing and it will be all in time.

yeah it dosent sound confusing...simple

lol you do whatever you like for the advanced...you are the boss

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2009 2:58:26

Doitsujin

hmm.. I love stats... Maybe because I like the NBA with all the stats... I just love it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2009 3:05:08

Pimientito

RE: Reminder for the Judges (in reply to Doitsujin

I think its going to be easier to play like Tomatito than be an advanced judge

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2009 3:10:07

XXX

RE: Reminder for the Judges (in reply to gj Michelob)1 votes

Dumbo is actually cool, he has a long ... ear!

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2009 3:18:40

XXX

quote:

I will see if i can host all files on a website and direct the judges there

ww.mediafire.com is perfect for that. When you upload something there you get a folder. You can upload multiple things and give the judges only the link to your folder.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2009 3:28:08
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote