Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - more judges?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Challenges >>Previous Challenges >> Page: <<   <   5 6 [7] 8 9    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Andy Culpepper

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - mor... (in reply to HemeolaMan

Now I'm getting really curious with all these people dropping out because it's too hard...would it be possible for me to look at the tabs without making a commitment to be in the challenge? I know I'm not even up to the level of some of the people that have dropped out but you never know until you try...maybe I will join the challenge after I look it over. Let me know.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2009 6:53:40

Doitsujin

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - mor... (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

maybe I will join the challenge after I look it over. Let me know.

Check out the first page, than decide. I think the first page is representative for the overall necessary level. The composition gets only a slight touch harder a little later.

http://www.flamenco-world.com/artists/tomatito/epartitur.htm

quote:

I am putting my crash helmet on now to ready myself for the inevitable tomato throwing in my general direction.

Don´t worry.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2009 9:44:16

Andy Culpepper

I'm seriously thinking about giving this a shot. I wish I hadn't handicapped myself with the time... What are you guys thinking is the hardest part about this? I think it's probably going to be the rhythm. Compositionally I think it's very logical and guitaristic...technique wise the left hand isn't too rediculous. I might have to throw more legato into some of the picado runs though. Anyway just curious what you guys think is REALLY hard about this piece.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2009 10:27:22

Doitsujin

quote:

Anyway just curious what you guys think is REALLY hard about this piece.

So, you are in and don´t cancel?
To answer your question: The speed makes it very difficult. I checked out your homepage and in respect to you, I seriously think the alegrias is much too hard for you. But anyway, it is a good chance to improve your skills. Its much easier to practice every day if you have a deadline.

Please check out the first post of this thread. There are written the rules for the challenge. If you want to join, you are very welcome.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2009 10:58:08

Andy Culpepper

nah I'm not gonna do it lol. It's freakin hard. but I'm still going to work on the piece because I like it and I've never learned a piece by someone else before. Do you have any objection to sending me the tabs even though I'm not entering? I'm not gonna jump in at the last minute but I might upload separately.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2009 11:22:51

duende

i´ve been trying to record la ardilla since 08:00 this morning theres always
some part you **** up, the official version will be the one the contains the screw ups i can stand listening too...

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 29 2009 5:31:02

Doitsujin

Great!! I am looking forward to hear your record!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 29 2009 11:54:48

Doitsujin

I made a test-record yesterday with a photo camera.. The video quality is bad..the sound is..fair.. I still have some points which are still not smooth..
Do we have 4 weeks left? Man... thats early... I could need some more time...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2009 4:46:27

ToddK

Alright so, Pimientito and John O. are now OUT!

People are dropping like flies
This is getting easier all the time

Best of luck to those who are sticking it out, and keeping their word.
TK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2009 10:22:14

duende

and i just broke my idex fingernail jiiihaaa! in 4 weeks it should be long enough again. If not i got 2 recordings made before the nail went dead

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2009 10:47:57

Doitsujin

quote:

Alright so, Pimientito and John O. are now OUT!

Why is JohnO out?

quote:

If not i got 2 recordings made before the nail went dead

hmm.. mine grow new completely in 1 week... I killed my thumbnail today while practicing Jasons buleria falseta.. It will be regrown till the next weekend.

Man... if its true and John is out, too... Its really depressing.. I will upload no matter how well or worse I will record it. So,, please don't be shy challengers... Dont forget.. Its not the idea of this challenge to only upload perfect playing.. The challenge should be not the other players, the challenge should be you to yourself...And this thread gives you a reason to practice.. You know.. I would snooze all difficult falsetas to next week and the week after the next week..if I would only practice for myself.. Or I simply skip them.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2009 11:11:03

John O.

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - mor... (in reply to Doitsujin

Doit, I could show you my calendar this and next month and you'd understand. I've only learnt the first half and haven't played it in about 3 weeks. Sorry for being a flake! If it were first of August I'd definitely be in, but I've just got too much at the moment!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2009 11:57:51

Doitsujin

Hey John, yes I know you have much to do and thats good. Good, because you are my friend and it makes me happy that you are in business! And Im happy because as ToddK wrote.. It becomes easier! hehe.. I hope Ricardo is also very occupied... He definitely scares me with his playing!

John!! Man,... Its like loosing a buddy in war! John don't die DON'T DIE !!!

Well.. I could also have a use for one month more practicing... I still have no sound card which allows me recording on a loop.. The test which I recorded was without loop... I had to paste it afterwards in the playing.. And Its not 100% in sync... If somebody has some hints how to overcome this problem.. Please tell me.. I dont want to buy a new card only for the challenge.. :.///

Would be anyone who canceled so kind to serve as judge instead? I mean.. you are pretty competent.. I would be happy about that.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2009 12:16:27

Ron.M

quote:

If somebody has some hints how to overcome this problem.. Please tell me.. I dont want to buy a new card only for the challenge.. :.///

Doit,

Back to Analog man!

Record the loop on a cassette and play it back over some speakers while you are recording.

Recording was much easier years ago.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2009 12:21:43

Doitsujin

Yepp.. I think I´ll record with the photocamera and play the loop with a hifi in the background.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2009 12:43:38

John O.

quote:

John!! Man,... Its like loosing a buddy in war! John don't die DON'T DIE !!!

YOU MUST GO! GO NOW! LEAVE...ME...BEHIND......

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2009 13:33:29

Ailsa

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - cod... (in reply to Doitsujin

Hi all,

I've just heard that the first entry is coming my way shortly! Send your entries to:
flamencoguitarcourse@yahoo.co.uk

(my other email is having problems so this one will be better)

What code names do you guys want for this challenge?

A
x

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 0:52:46

duende

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - cod... (in reply to Ailsa

i dont know, just dont call me the viking the swed or something like that

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 1:31:21

Ron.M

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - cod... (in reply to Ailsa

quote:

What code names do you guys want for this challenge?

How about fruit names?

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 1:55:27

Ailsa

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - cod... (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

How about fruit names?

Brilliant idea! OK challengers, give me a fruity name with you entry. If you don't I'll choose one I think is suitable for you

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 2:27:08

gj Michelob

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - cod... (in reply to Ron.M

Oh man, we’ll be judging a bunch of “fruit”….. there is an imminent danger of prejudiced, biased and unfair predisposition of the jury!!!

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 6:34:48

Doitsujin

Fruit names?? It reminds me on a show when I was very young.. Its name was tutti frutti... It was the first show in TV where some girls stripped naked! Except a thong.. But I was not allowed to watch it because I was too young for some tits..

cite from wikipedia (maybe interesting!):
"Cin Cin Girls"

A significant portion of success of Tutti Frutti is attributed to the so-called “ballet Cin Cin” (in the original Italian, “ragazze cin cin”). This was a group of internationally well-known models, who were hired permanently to fill certain roles in the show.
Each was representing a certain fruit and some are still known as this fruit. Former German “Playmates Of The Year” Stella Kobs and Elke Jeinsen filled this role, among others.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 8:44:26

XXX

Doit, I am a bit irritated that its the fruits which stayed in your mind but good to know that they represented different fruits, now it all makes sense

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 10:02:05

Doitsujin

quote:

Doit, I am a bit irritated that its the fruits which stayed in your mind but good to know that they represented different fruits, now it all makes sense

Dont be shocked.. I never saw this show. I was too young. But it was talked much about that show, because it was one of the first of its kind in german TV. The name of the show as well as the "different fruits" are something which you can´t forget...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 10:27:15

Doitsujin

I just got a message that the first audio was send to Ailsa! Thats good news! A bit early...but why not!

I want to use this moment to avoid any problems which could arise.

Challengers, before you finally submit your audio to Ailsa, please check twice the rules (first post of this thread) of this challenge. Because of the prices which are quite expensive, I want to please you for absolute fairness. Please be sure to submit audios which we don't have to disqualify afterwards because of any broken rule.

I am sorry to write such a redundant message because I know everybody is fairer then me here..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 10:57:34

Ron.M

quote:

But I was not allowed to watch it because I was too young for some tits..

LOL, doit...

In 1979 I had just returned from working for over a year in Brazil.

One day I saw a poster for a live music show called "Rio Carnival", with genuine Brazilian performers, which looked interesting so I bought a couple of tickets for myself and my girlfriend.

The show was held in quite a small concert hall on a Sunday afternoon.

Just to let you know, Aberdeen is in the North of Scotland and was pretty much a small provincial town at that time.
In fact, on a Sunday generally everything was closed except for the Churches and the Pubs. (An image that basically defines Scotland.. )

Anyway the concert started off great and I was really happy to hear that the music was the real stuff I had been used to, with some really virtuoso players!

As the rhythms hotted up, two beautiful and nubile and very large-breasted young lady dancers sprung onto the stage, stripped to the waist, writhing and shaking and wearing only very ornate head-dresses and short spangly skirts as they do.

And this was in Churchy Scotland on a Sunday Afternoon!!

I must admit, it was a hysterical moment, watching the culture-vulture families standing up and marching their 12 year-old sons out of the hall with their Dad's hands covering their eyes.

A great show and a memorable experience!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 12:10:29

gj Michelob

Doitsujin, am i still on the Judging panel?
will you be so kind to repeat:

1. time-table;
2. Judging guidlines;
3. any new rule.

thank you.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 13:31:10

Doitsujin

Yes, of course.

1: Deadline for submitting the audio to Ailsa is June 1st.
The file format has to be mp3, no video is allowed.

2: If the judges find any broken rule which are listed below, the challenger will be disqualified. You dont have to inspect the submissions like an FBI-agent, but just check the general points.
The main points are:
- The composition has to be played in one single run. No cut and paste of perfect falseta-pieces is allowed.
- One of the two loops which were provided (164bpm and 172bpm have to be used.
- It is not allowed to use any other loop or palmas at that speed.
- It is not allowed to slow the loop down in order to play trough the composition with less speed. So the minimum speed is 164bpm.
- It is also not allowed to manipulate the sound very heavily. That means, adding other instruments for backing is not allowed. But you can adjust your sond if you have a cheap mic.
- The whole composition has to be played. It is not allowed to skip falsetas or whole compases of the composition. But the compas can be payed how you like.
- But it is allowed to use variations of the falsetas which can be seen on youtube played by Tomatito himself (links see first pot).
- The challengers have to stick to the structure of the composition as it is recorded on the CD gitarra gitana (The order is correct in the tab.)
That means:
1. Introduction followed by all the rest.. You dont have to play the intro again in the end.. You can end the piece how you like.

3: no new rules

Well.. looks like many rules... But its a long piece..so we need to specify it a bit. Otherwise everybody would play complete different orders,.. falsetas.. and whatever.. It would not be comparable.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 6 2009 8:00:06

henrym3483

RE: Challenge, Advanced Thread - mor... (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

As the rhythms hotted up, two beautiful and nubile and very large-breasted young lady dancers sprung onto the stage, stripped to the waist, writhing and shaking and wearing only very ornate head-dresses and short spangly skirts as they do.

ron,

my mate went to rio de janerio for carnival.

i saw some pics of he took of the parade reinas de la batteria, (queens of the parade) they really did take the biscuit.

basically bunches of men beating drums following women wearing nothing but body paint.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 6 2009 10:46:04

Ricardo

quote:

One of the two loops which were provided (164bpm and 172bpm have to be used.

quote:

The whole composition has to be played. It is not allowed to skip falsetas or whole compases of the composition. But the compas can be payed how you like.

I am not saying I can play it well or at all, or anything ( ), but the loop provided I downloaded is NOT as long as the entire song is, and to record against it will require some tricky cut and paste job I guess (doesn't end and start on the same beat) Any thoughts on this guys???

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2009 8:21:09
Page:   <<   <   5 6 [7] 8 9    >   >>
All Forums >>Challenges >>Previous Challenges >> Page: <<   <   5 6 [7] 8 9    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software powered by ASP Playground Advanced Edition 2.0.5